PDA

View Full Version : Schust a liddle GLOAT.... he he

Tom Horton
05-01-2006, 9:43 PM
First, a HUGE THANKYOU to Vaughn McMillan:cool: for the tutorial on how to resize pics for posting.

Second, and not any less important..... THE GLOAT!!:D

Last year, I was told by the LOML that she wanted a big bash for her BIG B-day... you know, the one that gets us into the 2nd half of the century... And, I was making plans to do just that. And, her son and daughter-in-law asked her what she wanted for a present.... she hemmed and hawed for a bit, and couldn't really come up with a good response.
"Well,..." says the daughter-in-law, "we have just the perfect gift for you, and it'll be ready right around your birthday!"

Now, I thought, being the "genius" that I am;) , that they either had something that they were going to have made by someone, or they were going to get together with me later, and plan something.....:confused: My wife, on the other hand, being a TRUE genius, KNEW right away!! She looked at them and they all started squealing with delight, and hugging, and all that stuff.... Meanwhile, I'm sitting there thinking that they were just plain nuts. Acting like maroons, in a crowded restaurant, no less!! Then I realized that I was going to be a "granddad"!

So, of course, being the wood worker that I am, and having been in the building industry for almost 30 yrs, I made the grand announcement that "no grand child of mine would be sleeping in a cheap, imitation wood, store bought piece of junk!" (I believe those were my exact words...:o )

Now, I must tell you, I have been buying tools for years, and have been making cabinets, built-ins, bench seats, window seats, deck furniture, decks, and I have even made toy chests, and the like. But none for me, or for my family. Only recently, since my kids are mostly out of the house, have I been able to actually pull out the range hood over the stove, and install a microwave/hood in it's place. It just hasn't been in the cards for me to spend time in the shop that I built in 1992, and has been mostly used for storage, and as a minor income producer. (I usually build the stuff on site).

So, I thought I'd build me one of them thar fancy schmancy "Heirloom Cribs" that I see advertised all the time in "Rockler Woodworking and Hardware" catalog. I even got a guy to buy me a Dewalt bench planer as a deposit on a job I did for him. I ordered the plans, and bought some ash wood from the local "exotic lumber" dealer. This was in December of last year. Since then, I have spent at least 3 nights a week, with the propane heat going, and the lights blazing, in my shop, working on the crib, sometimes getting to do it for hours, sometimes, only enough time to run half a dozen pieces through the planer, or the router, or drill a hole here, and there.

But today, after all the time, and energy, dancing around my shop, tripping over the cords, and stuff, listening to a vast array of music, I have something to post, and it's my first real piece of "family furniture". I've heard you guys gloat over the stuff you've made, and I've marvelled at the work myself, all the while thinking, "one day.... one day....."

This is that day! And I hope my grandson enjoys it half as much as I did making it! :D

Tom

37712 37713

Mark Rios
05-01-2006, 9:51 PM
Great job, Tom. Wonderful!!!

As a suggestion, if I may? You might want to build a room around that crib...might get a little cold in the field. And a mattress....definately a mattress. The babys feet might get wet on the grass. :D :D :D

Just teasin'......WTG. Your family now has an heirloom to pass down.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Tom.........Great crib! I hope you put you name and date on it somewhere! Generations from now ....somebody will be telling how Great Great Great Grandpa Tom Horton made this!

Allen Bookout
05-01-2006, 10:32 PM
That is a beautiful job Tom. And---if your grandson is tough enough to sleep on those springs he will make a fine linebacker for the Ravens.

Kristian Wild
05-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Awesome job Tom! Apparently you can spin a yarn just as well you can make sawdust. You must be preparing for "Back in my day..." Grandpa stories.

Kris

Rick de Roque
05-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Wonderful job. They will love it. Fun making stuff for the family isn't it.

Rick

Lincoln Myers
05-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Nice work Tom! You should be proud, looks great. I enjoyed the story that went along with it too.

-Linc

Vaughn McMillan
05-02-2006, 1:41 AM
Great job, Tom. It looks like an heirloom piece to me. I was gonna make some smart remark about the extra ventilation being a good idea for a baby, but it looks like some of the other wise guys beat me to the punch(line). ;)

BTW, congrats on the grandbaby, too.

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
05-02-2006, 2:00 AM
Very Nice, Tom. Glad you finally got to Christen that Shop for what it was really built for.;) Now as Norm would saaaaaaay.......with the finish on it, it's now Destined to become a Family Heirloom.:D So as already recommended, Sign and Date it.

William Lewis
05-02-2006, 5:28 AM
Tom,
Great job on the crib.Grandbabies are the best. Like everybody else make sure you sign it.

William Lewis

Frank Pellow
05-02-2006, 7:05 AM
That's a great looking crib Tom. The crib for the "liddle one" is worth a BIG gloat.

Mark Pruitt
05-02-2006, 7:30 AM
Congrats, Grandpa!

John Miliunas
05-02-2006, 8:07 AM
Tom, great story, great crib and a super gloat, to boot!!! Congrats! :) However, I'm with Mark on maybe putting some of your other building skills to use and taking care of what may become a rather drafty situation for the baby!!! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
05-02-2006, 8:48 AM
Wonderful! On all accounts!!

Alain Tellier
05-02-2006, 9:26 AM
Wow! that is a very nice crib.

That is no doubt THE best gift a grand Pa can ever give. I still have the one my grand dad built for me and it's been used by my daugther.

Congrats!

AT

Alan East
05-02-2006, 4:33 PM
Congratulations grandpa - Grandkids are excuses for projects. Did you start the grandson's workbench or tool box yet?:D I'm hoping to get a cedar chest done for my granddaughter before Christmas.