PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #28

Kristian Wild
05-01-2006, 8:59 PM
I presume most of the old tool collectors lurk here in the hand tool corner of things(not tool collectors who are old necissarily, but collectors of old tools :)). If anyone is interested, I saw a stanley #28 (wooden body with cast whatcamacallit mounted on top to hold the blade, lever-cap etc.) at a local used stuff/junk store for $30. That'd be about $25 US for most of you dwelling south of the border.

It looked to my untrained eye to be in reasonable condition. I think all of the components were there, the sole could use a flattening, and the top of the handle was chipped off.

Would anyone like me to claim this little treasure and send it their way? I can't imagine it would cost more than five or ten bucks to send it pretty much anywhere in North America via basic snail-mail parcel post.

Kris

Kristian Wild
05-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Wow, I guess it's a good thing I didn't pick it up right away. Just out of curiosity, is a #28 not a very popular or desirable plane? From the enthusiasm I've seen here over other vintage tools I thought people would be more interested. I could always go and snap a few pics of it if anyone wants to have a look.

Kris

Mike Wenzloff
05-04-2006, 1:52 AM
Hi Kristian,

Ah, vintage tools--heck, hand tools--are wonderful things. I think that due to Patrick, of Blood & Gore fame, the transitional planes are much maligned and simply not well thought of. It is true than so many to be found are in such disrepair that some of the criticism is founded.

But when in nice shape like this one may be, they make good user planes. Few of them are collectable, but they can be made to work well.

For myself, there are few tools that I would look to add to those I already have and so did not respond earlier. Your offer of procuring it for any who would like it, though, is to be commended. So thank you for the offer and hopefully someone may well take you up on it.

Take care, Mike

Mark Stutz
05-04-2006, 7:00 PM
Kris,
Like Mike said...I didn't respond because I had no need, but please don't feel slighted.

Mark