PDA

View Full Version : Creekers at the ShopBot Jamboree

Keith Outten
05-01-2006, 8:46 PM
The photo below was taken by our SMC Administrator Aaron Koehl at the ShopBot Jamboree in Durham North Carolina last weekend.

From Left to right;

Dick Morgan...Keith Outten...Ed Lang

Although we were few in numbers this year SMC was represented well and I hope that next year our numbers will grow. The Jamboree was a three day event with training seminars and lots of ShopBotter interaction with everyone sharing information, tips and tricks. Dick Morgan loaded his newShopBot in his truck Saturday afternoon, we hope to see some pictures of his work here at the Creek very soon :)

Keith Outten
05-01-2006, 8:55 PM
I think the picture below is self explanatory, Aaron in his favorite position...any seat at the table :)

From left to right;

Aaron Koehl (eating)...Keith Outten Jr (orange shirt and SMC hat)...Keith Outten Sr (tan SMC jacket)

George Summers
05-01-2006, 10:14 PM
And you drove right by the shop twice (coming and going) and didn't stop. Three exits off of I-85 for my shop and you went right by, I'm hurt! :)

Hope you enjoyed yourselves, wish I could afford to even think about thinking about a Shop-Bot.

George (Exits 202,204 and 206)

Keith Outten
05-02-2006, 5:55 AM
Sorry George,

I didn't know you lived in the area or we certainly would have stopped in for a visit. I remember the Oxford exit off of I-85, the next time we will remember you are in the neighborhood.

You missed the ShopBot Jamboree special, they had a 48" by 48" ShopBot for $3,995.00 which was a real deal. Concerning pricing I bet you could pay for a new ShopBot faster than any machine in your shop. Even part-time a ShopBot can start making a profit real quick. I was asked to give a short speech at the Sign Makers seminar, my message to everyone was how to start making money quickly, even with very little experience on the machine.

Mark Pruitt
05-02-2006, 8:18 AM
...how does one go about learning of these events before they happen? (not being a smart alek--just a question):confused:

Ed Lang
05-02-2006, 9:09 AM
George, When I picked up my Shopbot last year I stopped at the last exit for Oxford going North for BBQ. I forget the name but I made a Right off of the Interstat and then the place was on the Left. Great food! Took a lot home with me both inside and in a bag!

Mark, I am also in Central VA, Troy to be exact. Just 12 miles East of charlottesville. Stop by sometime for a Shopbot/shop demo tour. Take a look at the Shopbot website and you will find the list of Camps around the country.

Dick, I didn't get to take any pictures of your machine being loaded so please take pictures as you put it together and what you are making with it. I know you are going to love it!

Everyone, Did you know that Aaron can not only eat, he can play the piano as well as ANYONE I have ever heard! This guy played Thursday night IIRC and on Friday night I heard folks asking if that guy was going to come and play again. I didn't know who they were talking about until later. Folks thought he was paid to be there. Late at night Aaron puts away the ivories and then grabs a pool cue. I bet after that he programs till the sun comes up.

I sure would have liked to have been able to spend a entire day with Mr. Outten Sr. He is super neat guy.

Craig Feuerzeig
05-02-2006, 9:13 AM
Sounds like fun and a good opportunity to learn something (I'm self taught). Just too busy this year runnin' my Shopbot to attend.:)

Ed Lang
05-02-2006, 9:26 AM
Great!

There is now four SMC'er that have Shopbots!

Craig, what are you doing with your bot?

Keith Outten
05-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Sounds like fun and a good opportunity to learn something (I'm self taught). Just too busy this year runnin' my Shopbot to attend.:)

Craig,

Jump on in here and share some of that vast knowledge you have with the rest of us. Pictures of projects, tips or tricks...anything you know that might inspire the rest of the CNC gang.

How Bout It?

:D

Craig Feuerzeig
05-02-2006, 1:01 PM
I love my Shobot and I love the company. The Bowclamp would not exist without it. It was an idea I had a long time ago, but the convergence of modern technology (at a reasonable price), with an age-old idea made it possible. It gave me the ability to cut the "perfect" arc, something that I was unable to do by conventional means (and not for lack of trying).

But that is just part of the story, I use it for all sorts of things, including the next product I'm working on (still in development). It involves cutting trays from plywood (pre-finished) sheets, with grooves and cut-outs. 8 pieces from a sheet, in about 3 minutes.

Today I'm cutting some chair backs (scroll type work) for another furniture maker who is doing some repair work. Recently I surfaced a 36'" x72" solid pine table top. Before that I did some furniture pieces for a local temple, complete with their custum logo carved into six of the sides. I've used it for engraving (custom Bowclamp orders :cool: ).

I'm thinking now what to make from this mountain of maple cut-offs, thinking maybe real end grain butcher blocks... the hard part was always flattening the end-grain top...Not anymore.:D (I've got the glue-up part worked out pretty well too ;) )And to write the program for that... about 10 seconds.

Consider this and this alone... The first thing I did after setting up my Shopbot was to throw away my entire wall of jigs and templates. They were all imperfect at best anyway. Radii, curves,... remember sink templates?:eek:

Please... don't get me started I sound like an informercial.:p

I'll post some pics soon, my camera is in the shop... dust maybe?:mad: