PDA

View Full Version : Oliver lathe...update#5

Steve Ash
05-01-2006, 6:37 PM
When I got home from work there was a package on the doorstep that my wife had ordered for my Oliver 159 lathe. She bought the Oneway Stronghold chuck and some casters with brakes so the lathe will be mobile in the shop. (You guys knew it had to have wheels!)

I have the motor down to the local electric motor shop but haven't heard any word on it as of yet. Tomorrow voting ends for the color of the lathe, if you haven't voted and want to....please do. I've got primer ready to squirt on it as soon as I get some extra time.

I'll be fabricating a electric panel with a "on" and a "e-stop" switch. I've also been giving some thought to a handy way to store the gouges, skews, etc. close by, yet out of the way when not needed.

Thanks again for looking.

Corey Hallagan
05-01-2006, 6:50 PM
Allright Steve, your just about ready to rock and roll!!

corey

Pete Jordan
05-01-2006, 8:17 PM
Slow down buddy!

You are goin at warp speed!

Great gloat!

Pete

Paul Downes
05-01-2006, 8:49 PM
Steve, What you gonna turn first? That chunk of birdseye?....You might want to get a piece of boxelder out first. Got a face shield yet? I got chuck envy. I need to get one a them high falutin chucks soon. At yer rate of aquirement I'll be takin lessons from you soon.:D

Steve Ash
05-02-2006, 10:08 AM
an update to this update.....

I put the casters on the lathe last night to see how they would be, and I found that it was a nice feature for mobility but I'm concerned about vibration. I can shake the lathe with my hand and think with a chunk of wood spinning around out of balance that the wheels may have to go and the Oliver may become a stationary piece of equiptment instead. No loss I can use the casters elsewhere if it doesn't work out.

Just got off the phone with the electric motor shop, they found a worn out switch (?) in the motor that needed to be replaced and the cost is $42.00. Cheap insurance in my book for the longevity of the motor.

Dev Emch gave me some paint code information for Oliver machinery and I called my friend that has the body shop and asked him to cross reference Sherwin Williams paint to PPG paints. He said he'd get at it....So I have a motor and paint to pick up.

I also got some angle iron and square tube stock to round up and make a fixture for the control box. My oldest son Steve Jr. will be taking on the wiring duties since he is an electrician and knows all about that stuff.

Paul, I've been eyeing up that Birdeye maple you gave me to make a nice bowl for my wife but that will be after I have destroyed a few first. Don't want to ruin a nice piece of wood like that one. Also I did buy a faceshield and so far I have used it for removing the paint on this old lathe. I didn't want a wire from the wire wheel to find a home in my eye, those things hurt as it is when they hit your hands.

Thanks everyone for voting and your comments in the poll on color choices John started, I hope it was fun for everyone who participated.

Guess I also need to get some wood a "round" :D

Pete Jordan
05-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Steve,

If you want practice wood I have a garage full of box elder you can pick from. Take a much as you want.

Pete

Bernie Weishapl
05-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Steve nice gloat. Glad to see it coming together for you. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. Can't wait to see some chips flying and projects coming of the beast.

John Miliunas
05-02-2006, 1:12 PM
Hmmmm...Wheels on a lathe for Steve Ash??? Maybe throw some headers on it, chuck up a BIG piece wood a bit off-center and take it for a spin??? Literally!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Garry Smith
05-02-2006, 2:21 PM
I wondered about casters on a lathe Steve. I think they will endup doing more harm than good.
Garry

John Hart
05-02-2006, 2:32 PM
I got to thinking about those casters Steve. I think they're great if you want to move it....but what if you attached feet extensions so that when you're using it, you can drop the extensions down so the casters will be off the floor?

Steve Ash
05-02-2006, 5:37 PM
Sounds like a good idea John, I am a picture kind of guy, so if anyone has done it or has seen this in a picture somewhere could you post a link to it so I can get an idea how it works.

Jim Becker
05-02-2006, 6:13 PM
John brings up a good point, Steve. Casters on a lathe are not a particularly good idea. You need that machine solidly on the floor when turning. Even double-locking casters will still move a little. What you might want to do is put two casters on the heavy end so they are just off the floor and rig a way to use a tommy bar with a caster on the other end. This is a very typical method for moving heavy machinery. I move my Stubby that way, although since that's very rare, I use a Vega base and completely remove it when it's not in use. My MM FS350 J/P and MM16 also use this method for moving. Really...you want that machine on the floor when turning anything much larger than a simple spindle.

Curt Fuller
05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
I have wheels (castors) on mine Steve. So far no problems and it definitely is easier to move. It also raised it to a more comfortable turning height for me (6'2"). But I thought you would have something a little more flashy, maybe some of those spinners that would keep turning when the lathe stops.;)

Jim Dunn
05-02-2006, 11:17 PM
A friend of mine has casters on his lathe. I definately don't like it! Not solid on the casters at all. My $1.382