PDA

View Full Version : gotta few boards in

tod evans
05-01-2006, 5:56 PM
here`s some mahogany that just came in, pretty nice stuff, some boards are 27" the one on top is 8/4x 14`x 22"..tod

Al Navas
05-01-2006, 6:04 PM
Great! So.... uhmmm... Just HOW do I get my hands on some of these??? :D Congratulations!

Al

Reg Mitchell
05-01-2006, 6:15 PM
ddddddeeeeeeaaaaaaammmmmmm tod nice looking stuff, old buddy...:D
what you got planned for such a load

tod evans
05-01-2006, 6:18 PM
it`s for a job reg.

al, just call the local wholesaler and order long wide mahogany, refuse the first load that looks like culls and they`ll get it right:)
.02 tod

Reg Mitchell
05-01-2006, 6:22 PM
well from what I can see from here it looks nice. I am sure someone is going to be very pleased.
Got those Millbury cutter heads back from being sharpened and man are they sharp.
Getting closer to the shop every day

Jim Becker
05-01-2006, 9:29 PM
Very nice, Tod! Looks like you got as good as I got when I bought some 8/4 13" wide mahogany stock from Hearne a couple years ago. It's such a pleasure to work with, too, when it's so nice!

Dev Emch
05-02-2006, 12:21 AM
ddddddeeeeeeaaaaaaammmmmmm tod nice looking stuff, old buddy...:D
what you got planned for such a load
What? Huhhhhh? Did somebody say Mahogony! And you Reg, of all folks. Dont you know that Mahogany has but a single purpose in life. That being raw stock for OWWM patterns to make replacement and modification parts for the woodworking machines we all love! Geezzzz, if you gotta ask. And drop that sacraligious thought about actually making doors or tables out of it.:D:p:p:D Patterns my brudda.... patterns!:D:D O.K. We will cut you some slack... we will permit you to make core boxes and match plates as well.:p

Gail O'Rourke
05-02-2006, 7:17 AM
Awesome, whatcha making?

tod evans
05-02-2006, 7:47 AM
Awesome, whatcha making?

arch top french doors/ curved raised panels for a ceiling/ freeform stair stringers/ bar componants and mouldings.

John Miliunas
05-02-2006, 7:55 AM
Gee, and I just cut up the single 8" wide board of Mahogany I had to make some frames for my daughter. :rolleyes: Gonna' have to switch to another flavor of wood before I make any more. Guess you wouldn't have to worry about that, huh? :D Have phun, Tod! :) :cool:

Frank Pellow
05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
And nice boards they are indeed! What are your plans for them?

Reg Mitchell
05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
arch top french doors/ curved raised panels for a ceiling/ freeform stair stringers/ bar componants and mouldings.
Sounds like a busy few days tod

tod evans
05-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a busy few days tod

it`ll be a few months on this`n, that`s only part of what i`m doing on the job!

Jerry Olexa
05-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Nice looking stock// I must laugh: I was making some 6" drawers a few days ago of poplar and actually had to biscuit/edge glue some stock to use up the old 1/2 wood and get to 6" . Pretty bad...

lou sansone
05-02-2006, 12:49 PM
hi tod
great wood to work with. looks like a nice load of wood..

best wishes
lou

Dennis Peacock
05-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Very nice Tod.....

Shoot....I figgered you done fell off the earth or sumpin like that. Ain't heard hide-nor-hair of ya in a while.

Save me your scraps and I'll come get them. ;)

tod evans
05-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Very nice Tod.....

Shoot....I figgered you done fell off the earth or sumpin like that. Ain't heard hide-nor-hair of ya in a while.

Save me your scraps and I'll come get them. ;)

computer was on the fritz and me being a dummy about computers i took it to a friend up the road to fix....it`s amazing how much work i get done if i aint sitting here one fingerin`:)

Brett Baldwin
05-02-2006, 1:51 PM
How many bf is that for those of us who wouldn't use up that much lumber in a decade?

tod evans
05-02-2006, 2:20 PM
How many bf is that for those of us who wouldn't use up that much lumber in a decade?

850bf, 10-14ft in length.

Richard Wolf
05-02-2006, 3:26 PM
Nice load. Now work your magic on it.

Richard

Jeff Singleton
05-02-2006, 4:20 PM
In the patternmaking industry wide mahogany is very popular and pretty easy to come by but expensive, $6.00 bd. ft. We just got a shippment of 8/4 mahogany in two weeks ago, not much just 500 bd.ft. Most was in the 12-16" width and 14 ft. long. We did not request any specific width or length but they shipped what we have always ordered in the past. About 20 years ago we got about 2000 bd.ft of mahogany in and one bd. was 39" wide and 16' long. Took three guys to put it in the lumber rack. Nobody really knew what to do with so it sat for 10 years and finally some woodcarver came in and starter salivating over it. We ordered some 16/4 mahogany for him and he was there to get it. Four bds. 16/4, 24"x12', never seen a price but it had to add up to a bunch. So the boss let him buy the monster bd. in the rack. What's funny is that the 4/4 mahogany was Honduras, 5/4 & 6/4 was Brazillian or Peruzian or just South American and the 8/4 was Phillip. I liked the Brazilian the best, hard and nice grain. Never liked washing my nicked up hands in lemon juice, it really smarted when it found a cut. I usually just left the purple ting on my hands. Also, patternmaking lumber is dried a little dryer then cabinet lumber and most is straight and not cupped. Mahogany has to be one of the best working woods there is, machines great.

Jeff Singleton:)