PDA

View Full Version : NICE FIGURE - New Wood Source

john whittaker
05-01-2006, 5:18 PM
Wanted to give everyone a heads up on a new source I found for some very nice figured lumber & turning stock. (Standard disclaimer..I'm not affiliated blah blah etc.)

While traveling on business in Chapel Hill, NC I found a new business named Nice Figures Studio & Lumber Sales. It is run by two very nice and accomplished ladies, Paula Labelle & Sharon Barrett. They are longtime woodworkers & turners who became concerned about the local availability of high quality figured lumber. So they developed some good sources of very high quality lumber and decided to open up a studio to sell their work and also sell lumber.

I was stunned when I entered their studio. They have an abundance of very highly figured lumber. Maple, walnut, cherry and some unique curly birch. There was also some exotics, along with large slabs for table tops, thins, and a very large assortment of turning stock for you spinny folks.

Check it out at nicefigures.com. They are right off I-40 off of exit 263. I can honestly say that every piece of lumber in stock would be something I would be proud to work with. Not a dog in the whole bunch....except for some dogwood.

I personally have a hard time buying wood on-line, site unseen...but for those of you who are OK with this, they do handle on-line sales. And FWIW, I will vouch for the quality of their stock. Especially the instrument grade curly maple slabs I saw...and drooled on.

No pics Tyler...I didn't have my camera. Didn't expect to fine this jewel while working. Send me my punishment, I will accept it.

I will definitely be going back whenever I finish this guitar and get back to some good old flat work. Will take a few pics then.

John Timberlake
05-01-2006, 9:52 PM
Looks like very nice wood on the web site. I don't buy wood over the net but will be through there in June, so maybe I'll stop and look. Even if I don't buy anything, it will be worth the stop to look at the wood and projects. Thanks for the tip.