PDA

View Full Version : A revised shop tour (lots of pics)

Bob Noles
05-01-2006, 4:32 PM
For the past year and a half, I have been remodeling an old building and "collecting" tools for a workshop. I gained much of what I have learned right here at SMC from the so many friends I have made on this forum. I just kind of put the shop together as I went at first and the placement of tools as they came in was not given long term thought in many cases. I even made some tool purchases that I found I really did not need and then found better ways to achieve the same results with different tools and new technology and knowledge.

It was about the 1st of April that my crowded little shop was becoming a frustration from tool over load and disorganization. I would go out and sit for an hour or so at times trying to seek a better working arrangement and see what could be eliminated for more space and a better working environment. I drew out a plan..... I sold some tools...... I asked for advice....... Finally after all the hard work, I have turned my shop into a dream come true for my needs. No... you will no longer find a jointer..... No...... you will no longer find a Table saw and no you will no longer find several things that were once there that just plain would not be used or a better and safer way was found to achieve the same task for me as a hobbiest.

If you are interested you can go back and see my orginal shop tour here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21332

and here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24562

The following is just a series of random pictures showing a complete inside rehab of what once was. I have also included a view looking out from the shop door, sitting on the chairs looking straight down the side walk where I do a lot of my work and the Hostas that line it. I could not leave out the beautiful view of my lovely wife's flower bed that I have a view of out my window as I work on the lathe.

I am glad to have finally finished this project and now I can get down to woodworking and spinning in a much better way than I was able to before.

Enjoy the pictures! I am open to any questions or critique offered.

Bob Noles
05-01-2006, 4:33 PM
2 of 5 continued

Bob Noles
05-01-2006, 4:33 PM
3 of 5 continued

Bob Noles
05-01-2006, 4:34 PM
4 of 5 continued

Bob Noles
05-01-2006, 4:34 PM
5 of 5.... the last ones

Bernie Weishapl
05-01-2006, 5:16 PM
Bob you call that a shop!:eek: Looks more like a surgical room. There is not dust, no chips from the lathe, holy cow. :eek: :rolleyes:

Seriously looks good my friend. You did well. Looks like it is well arranged where everything will flow well. Bob did you get the cutting table with you smart system?

Mark Pruitt
05-01-2006, 5:21 PM
That is waaaaaay too tidy! How many dozen people are on you cleaning crew?;)

Vaughn McMillan
05-01-2006, 5:23 PM
Nice set-up, Bob. Nicely organized and laid out. So...where do you do your woodworking? The room in the pics sure doesn't look like it's seen any sawdust. ;) :) (I know, you're just a lot neater than a lot of us.) Good job on the remodel.

- Vaughn

tod evans
05-01-2006, 5:35 PM
man bob! that`s way too neat makes me wish i could find my broom. nice shop! ..02 tod

Larry Cooke
05-01-2006, 6:03 PM
Wow Bob! You really have a cool shop, fantastic curb appeal and excellent layout on the inside. It's got to feel good knowing you have everything you need/use and nothing you don't.

Thank you for the tour!

Larry

Bruce Page
05-01-2006, 6:03 PM
Great shop Bob! It’s refreshing to see someone else that knows how to use a broom! :rolleyes:

Burt Waddell
05-01-2006, 6:18 PM
Bob,

Anyone who can actually use a shop and keep it looking like has my utmost respect. Super job!

Burt

Norman Hitt
05-01-2006, 6:59 PM
aaaaHA,..........So THAT'S WHERE my Other floor mat got off to!:rolleyes: What did you say the Name was for Bob's New GALLERY?:D Beautiful Setup Bob, and the outside view really sets the whole thing off, but it looks so Goooooood, that you may not get much woodworking done for just sittin' on the porch and enjoying the view, (both inside AND out).;)

Now..........we expect to be seein' some great things come out of there, 'cause we now know what you're capable of.;) :D

John Bailey
05-01-2006, 7:00 PM
Bob,

Great lookin' shop. I liked it before, like it better now.

John

Cody Colston
05-01-2006, 7:29 PM
That's a great looking shop and I happen to like clean, especially as just a hobbyist. I can see where a pro might not pay as much attention to cleanliness.

I like the flower garden, too. :)

Bob Noles
05-01-2006, 7:57 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments y'all. It really makes one feel good after working hard over the past few weeks to achieve a goal and then being able to share it with friends who appreciate the fruits of the labor involved.

Now.... I think I'll go out and haul a couple of wheelborrow loads of wood chips from my wife's flower bed and spread them around in there and re-shoot the tour tomorrow :eek: :D

Never fear.... it will be getting dusty and dirty very soon. I have a project list you would not believe ;)

Thanks again for your kindness and especially your help in bringing me this far in a wonderful hobby.

Steve Clardy
05-01-2006, 9:49 PM
Nice and clean Bob!! Very nice

Frank Pellow
05-02-2006, 6:58 AM
Thanks for the tour of your great looking shop Bob. The tour would be even better if you were to provide a layout plan to accompany the photos.

Jay Knoll
05-02-2006, 7:52 AM
Bob

Great looking shop, now I can't show that to SWMBO I'll be cleaning for weeks

Jay

John Miliunas
05-02-2006, 8:21 AM
Nice setup, Bob! Yeah, I know how "equipment overload" can really put the binders on actually working in the same area!!! :rolleyes: You done good, my friend! But, as the others have said, way, way too clean!!! :) :cool:

Bob Marino
05-09-2006, 2:15 PM
Bob,

You have it well organized and clean! As others have said, great job!

Bob

Jim King
08-21-2006, 6:25 PM
Come on guys, tell the truth. No mess no production. A couple of months ago I spent a few days in intensive care and it wasn´t that clean. Just what are you doing out there ¿

Corey Hallagan
08-21-2006, 6:38 PM
Every once in awhile Bob's shop pops up again. One of my favorite shops here at SMC. Just cool! Prettiest view from outdoors too! Bob, when the heck did you get a Tormek? Your one sharp guy :)

corey

Chris Barton
08-21-2006, 7:57 PM
Hi Bob,

As always your shop looks clean and beautiful! Must be a fun place to hang out at.

Glenn Hodges
08-21-2006, 8:09 PM
My wife likes cleanleness also that is why she will not come into my shop. She visits the finishing building, the building where I dry bowls and do my photos, and the building where I have a store, but not the shop. The boy that cleans the shop knows better than touch my benches. He only cleans the floor and vaccums the bandsaw, and walls, somewhat. A female lady customer person visited the shop about 2 years ago after she called and asked for permission. Upon arrival she said, "Glenn don't you ever clean up this place?" I replied, "Yep, I sure do, we have been busy cleaning all morning in anticipation of your arrival. Look at the wheelbarrow loads of shavings out there by the burnpile." I admit the shop does get deep sometimes, but I do a lot of work in it.

Dave Shively
08-21-2006, 8:48 PM
And people said my shop was clean? Nice setup there Bob. You out did youself with all the flowers too.

Dave

Dave Shively
08-22-2006, 6:34 AM
And people thought my shop we clean?

Dave

Bob Noles
08-22-2006, 9:42 AM
I think y'all keep digging this thread up to have fun poking at my clean shop :D :D

Hey.... it does get covered in dust and chips contrary to popular belief, but I try to clean up after each project. Guess I was born a neat freak :eek: :D :p

Thanks again for the nice compliments.