PDA

View Full Version : Finished Surfaces on SileStone Countertops

Kevin Herber
05-01-2006, 3:12 PM
I had SileStone countertops installed the other day. After the installation LOML noticed that the underside of the built-up bull-nose edge is not finished. It is still rough cut. I asked some friends and they seem to think this is the norm. Is that true? Do they leave this part rough? I wanted to get other opinions before raising heck with the company. I figure a $27 per LINEAR foot surcharge ought to get me a finished surface on all exposed surfaces.

Opinions appreciated – Kevin

Lars Thomas
05-01-2006, 4:15 PM
That's the way I have always seen stone (and plastic) surfaces.

Michael Ballent
05-01-2006, 5:22 PM
The granite install in my house is finished and polished all the way... It's not SilStone but I would think that it should not be rough.

Ken Garlock
05-01-2006, 8:04 PM
Hi Kevin. In our kitchen we have over linear 60 ft. of bull nose edge on our Silestone. ALL edges turn completely back on the counter top such that the underside of the bull nose is parallel to the counter top. EVERY inch of the bull nose is polished on the under side.

Tell your vendor to get their lazy you-know-what out their, remove the counter tops and take them back to the shop for polishing. I don't believe they can do the job on site. When we had our Silestone installed during construction, we even had to give the new Elkay under-hung sink to the Silestone people so that they could get an exact fit before the counter top was finished.

Silestone is the best surface you could use in the kitchen, nothing seems to phase it.

I will bet that the mention of not paying for the install will get their attention in a hurry.