PDA

View Full Version : Jointer knife setting question

Ed Bamba
05-01-2006, 12:04 PM
I was wondering how you all go about doing this procedure. My questions is actually regarding the drive belt; do you keep it on or do you remove it from the cutter head pulley? Does the belt tension affect the alingment? I checked it on mine after aligning the outfeed bed to the cutter head (belt attached), and it did seem a couple of thousands off when the belt was removed. Perhaps my belt is tensioned too tightly. Either that or the bearings used (Delta DJ20) isn't of the highest caliber. Just though I'd bring up the subject since I haven't seen it discussed yet. BTW, the manual doesn't mention to disconnect the belt. But it does make it easier to turn the cutter head to the next knife with the belt removed--maybe too easy though.

Take care,
Ed

Steve Clardy
05-01-2006, 1:12 PM
I never remove the belt unless I'm replacing it.
I align with belt on.

Rick Doyle
05-01-2006, 1:39 PM
i never remove the belt when aligning the blades. actually, i don't think i've ever heard of anyone else doing this - what i do make sure i do though is to unplug the jointer from the power supply.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-01-2006, 2:19 PM
I can't think of any reason to pull the belt unless it makes you comfy on some level. In which case you'd have all the reason you need.

Ed Bamba
05-01-2006, 5:58 PM
Thanks for all your inputs. I kept mine on too, but was just wondering. I do unplug it too. I figure that the knives should be set the way it'll run, same as a front alignment on a car (with weight on wheels--sorry, my aircraft maintenance jargon is rearing its ugly head).

Take care,
Ed