PDA

View Full Version : Against the tide!

Ed Breen
05-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I had an interesting time this weekend. Among the tools I have amassed at auctions etc. I have a set of 4 craftsman tools. I haven't used them since I am so new to this spinning world. Also, so many folks seem to downgrade CM tools. Well, I sharpened up the skew and had a great time with it. It ciuts like a good tool and no catches so far. I also had a rouded tool tjhat I have never even handled. Didn't rtealize it was a scraper. Well, while turning a bit of cypress I tried it out on the inside of the cup. Wow, it cut like a champ.
I guess Craftsman may be okay depending on how old the tool is. I also just aquired a Parks-Craftsman planer for free. It works!
Ed:rolleyes:

Mike Ramsey
05-01-2006, 1:09 PM
Ed, I was given a set of old CM turning tools for free, they are not
bad...They just don't hold an edge as long as my HSS stuff other
than that I can't complain...

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-01-2006, 1:29 PM
Ed, the cm's are ok as long as you remember NOT to turn them BLUE. They are carbon steel and don't like heat.

Bruce

John Hart
05-02-2006, 5:40 AM
My craftsman tools have been invaluable during this first year. They have been my sharpening teachers and performed well while I've been hacking my way through learning this craft. Bruce is right though, if they turn blue, they'll need sharpening more often.

Philip Duffy
05-02-2006, 5:54 AM
My ole Craftsman parting tool has no equal on the lathe and is down to a nub. And yet, I can not find a replacement at Sears. Anyone have a source? I am resorting to trying to make a duplicate out of O-1 steel.

Ernie Nyvall
05-02-2006, 6:26 PM
I have a couple of old Craftsman tools that are just fine. I'll probably use them down to the handle... and then make pens.:)

Ernie