PDA

View Full Version : How long do I REALLY need to wait

Larry Fox
05-01-2006, 11:00 AM
On Friday it became apparent that for my current project that I need to acquire a bit more wood (a fine example of poor planning). So, Saturday morning it is off the Hearne Hardwoods my son and I go. There I find two amazing cherry boards which will fit the bill exactly. One is 17' long, 12+" wide, 1+" thick, almost 0% sapwood and not a defect in it - a simply amazing piece of wood. Into the truck they go and back to the shop. I add these two guys to the pile of stickered boards and start the typical two-week wait.

My question is this. What is the soonest anyone would recommend milling these boards? They will be milled into raised panels most around 26" long. My project is at a bit of a hard-stop until I can use these boards . The lumber yard is about 25 miles from my house and has the exact same weather patters / humidity as my environment. The wood is stored in my shop which is in the garage where I run a dehumdifier 24/7 so there is a bit of a difference there.

BTW: If it matters, I left them "rough" from the yard.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Larry

Tom Jones III
05-01-2006, 11:13 AM
If you are in a rush, I'd cut off one piece from the board, face joint one side and edge joint one side and then leave it overnight. See how much it moved then decide what to do.

Matt Tawes
05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
For wood that needs to remain relatively flat and straight I gernerally mill (jointing & planing) and cut a little oversize then let acclimate to the shop climate for about 24-36 hours. I doubt you will see too much of a climate swing but if your garage is heated as well as with your dehumdifier I would leave the the board a little longer in your rough cut dimensions as checking (splitting on the ends) could occur.

lou sansone
05-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I would wait a couple of days and take a skim pass on both sides ( I would lay out the pieces with chalk or pencil and then cross cut them to rough dimensions first ). Sometimes just cross cutting wood and the first pass at surfacing can release some tension in the wood and it can start to move on you. I would let it sit ( not in a pile, but positioned in such a way that both sides are open to the air in the shop) for a day and see how it has moved. Proceed based upon those results.

Lou

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-01-2006, 2:20 PM
couple days outta be OK unless there are wild differences in humidity.

Jim Becker
05-01-2006, 2:25 PM
Larry, there shouldn't be a huge difference in conditions from Hearne's ...um, candy store....err...warehouse...and your shop in Glenmoore that a few days will not take care of. I agree that milling a little over size and letting it further acclimate before final milling is a good idea and a nice precaution.

BTW, that sounds like some wonderful material you scarfed!

Larry Fox
05-01-2006, 2:35 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the idea of milling oversize and letting acclimate.

Jim, Hearne always has good stuff. The board I mentioned, it was like a page from a Dr. Seuss book - pulling out of the bin, it just kept coming and coming and coming to where I thought it would never end. I laid it on the floor and flipped it a few times and there was not a single defect to be seen in it. Just a wee bit of sapwood around the live edge in one secion and that is it.

Frank Chaffee
05-01-2006, 3:57 PM
Patience is a virtue, well worth cultivating.

When you become patient there is no waiting, as you currently perceive it, only the ripening of events for action.

What goes around comes around; but you knew that.

Cheers,
Frank

Steve Braman
05-02-2006, 7:45 AM
Do the rails help keep the panel flat over time?

Matt Tawes
05-02-2006, 7:59 AM
Steve,

I've found that a slight bow that develops perhaps after final milling in a raised panel can be contained and is manageable by the rails/stiles. However a twist will telegraph to the door.

Steve Braman
05-02-2006, 8:18 AM
Thanks Matt. For some reason twist didn't come to mind. Do breadboard ends keep a table from bowing, while the multiple board glue-up keeps the table from twisting? Sorry to high-jack the thread but I am new at this and wanted to ask the question while it was on my mind. Thanks

Alan Turner
05-02-2006, 8:33 AM
Larry,
Since you need only short lenghs, I would cross cut right away, wait 1-2 days, rough mill, wait 1-2 days, and go for it. 2 weeks is not needed for this stock.

I am assuming that you will not be resawing it. If so, then a bit more patience is required.

Matt Tawes
05-02-2006, 11:52 AM
I sent you a PM Steve so as not to over highjack the thread:D

Dennis McDonaugh
05-02-2006, 12:58 PM
My lumber supplier is four miles away and keeps his stock in an unheated/un-air conditioned building similar to my shop so I don't wait at all.