PDA

View Full Version : Water based poly over paint?

Mike Wilkins
05-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I am refinishing a dresser for a client that is painted, black. Very black.
I used spray aerosal cans for the paint (lots) in a satin black.
Any problem top coating this with Minwax Water Based Poly? I did experiment with a sample board and so far so good.
Just wanted other opinions to boost confidence. Thanks guys.

Alex Shanku
05-05-2006, 8:30 AM
In this spring's FWW Finishing and Refinishing Furniture, Paul Synder writes a nice article about achieving that "perfect paint job". He states that a clear coat is optional, and if you do want to use one, he suggests a water-based polyurethane, as it is "clear, non-yellowing, and compatible with paint."

Jim Becker
05-05-2006, 9:22 AM
What kind of paint? If it's latex, you'll be putting a hard finish over a very soft finish and you'll likely end up with poor wear/cracking/chipping, etc. That said, the water borne finish will work fine over paint...be sure to very lightly sand the paint to insure that the finish can get a grip...especially if there is anything "polyurethane" involved. It doesn't like to stick to itself.

Sam Shank
05-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I needed some CHEAP black toe kick boards for my kitchen. I took some 1/4" hardboard, spraypainted it flat black (0.98 at the depot) and then applied some minwax polycrilic. Looked great, and man was it cheap.