PDA

View Full Version : Lumber dimensions

Tom Spallone
05-01-2006, 9:54 AM
Is it possible to order from a lumber yard dimesions of in thicknesses, say of 1.5", 2", 3.5" and 4"?

I'm interested in Poplar at this point but, can other types of lumber be obtained to these thickness measurements also (like cherry)?

Steve Clardy
05-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes. If they have a millwork setup, they can process to whatever you need. Usually an extra charge.

Larry Fox
05-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Yes, I agree with Steve. However, in my experience the stock that comes from the yard is not jointed - just planed with an edge ripped on it. That is, if you order S2S to a particular thickness it will arrive that thickness but might not be ready for use. The ones I have delt with simply run it through a planer. So, if you ask for something 1" thick they will likely send a 5/4 board through and if it goes in with a twist or a wind then it will come out with a twist or wind - it will just be thinner.

Might not be the case with the yard you deal with but worth investigating.

Tom Spallone
05-01-2006, 11:24 AM
So, for instance, I need to make legs where the biggest part of the taper measures 3 inches on all four sides in it's finished state. Without glueing up 1 by's, what dimension should I order from a yard? 3.5" possibly and then take it down to the finished 3" myself?

Steve Schoene
05-01-2006, 12:32 PM
I always buy rough lumber, because of the extra yield you get compared to buying surfaced boards that then lose more thickness when they are jointed to be flat and straight. Common thicknesses are 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 12/4, 16/4 meaning the number of quarters of thickness.

To get full 3" thick finished dimension you would often would have to buy 16/4 lumber, though you could count on getting 2.75" and often 2.875" from 12/4. Some sawmills cut generously enough to get the 3" thickness, at least for lengths no longer than a table leg. Not likely to find 14/4 (3.5"). If you had wood surfaced to 3.5" you would be buying 16/4 and having the lumberyard plane it to 3.5".

Mike Parzych
05-01-2006, 12:33 PM
The traditional lumber yard would just be adding a mark-up onto something they buy from a hardwood supplier - which you can go to yourself. Better yet, look for a small sawmill in your area. Larger sawmills usually only cut 5/4 thick for wholesale to lumber suppliers. But the smaller guys often have thicker material.