PDA

View Full Version : BLO and plain old Linseed oil...?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-01-2006, 8:24 AM
.........are they the same thing?

I finally found Boiled Linseed Oil in a store here, of course the don't call it Linseed oil, they call it "Amani-Boiru-Abura" which means Amani boiled oil.

Quite funny, I put "Boiled Linseed Oil" into my machine translator, English to Japanese and I get "Boiled Linseed Oil",but when I put in the Japanese "アマニボイル油" and I get "Linseed Oil Boiled" :rolleyes:

Kind of a chicken and egg thing there.

While talking to these guys, I asked about Shellac, I want the flake stuff I can put into DNA to make my own cut, well they don't have it, but they send me to an arts supply shop, and while they do not have it, they can order it:D

And if they can order Shellac, they can, they MUST be able to get the DNA need to make the Shellac..........right? :D

Anyways, off on a tangent there, but while at the Art Supply store, they had lots of Linseed oil, or "Pure" Linseed oil, but I did not see any "Boiled Linseed Oil".

So, is the Boiled and the Pure stuff the same?

Cheers!

Cody Colston
05-01-2006, 8:45 AM
They are not the same thing. BLO has metallic driers added to accellerate the drying process. Pure linseed oil will take ages to dry if it ever truly does.

Chris Barton
05-01-2006, 8:45 AM
Hi Stu,

"Boiled" has metalic driers added to it to aid in flashing time. Raw linseed is really flaxseed oil and can take weeks to completely dry.

Chris

David Fried
05-01-2006, 8:47 AM
... which is why artists want pure linseed oil to thin their paints.

Jim Becker
05-01-2006, 8:48 AM
And the reason the art store has the raw linseed is that painters who work in oils do not want the oil to cure quickly so they can "work the work" for longer periods of time.

You can order Shellac flakes from Woodcraft. And if you can't get DNA...grain alcohol will work fine. 'Should be obtainable through your shop if you also deal in liquors...but I bet it's not cheap! But it's the same thing as DNA without the "denaturing"...ie...the poisons added to make it undrinkable.

rick fulton
05-01-2006, 8:48 AM
Stu -
How do you say Japan Drier in Japanese?
The linseed oil for oil painting takes forever to dry. They must add a drier to it, but not nearly as much as BLO form a woodworking store. If you can buy Japan drier, get it. It can be added to most any oil or oil based paint to help it dry faster. I've used it in grocery store bought pure walnut oil. It works great. Be careful not to add too much though, it will discolor the oil and the wood. Been there done that.
Good Luck!
rick

David Fried
05-01-2006, 8:58 AM
Stu -
How do you say Japan Drier in Japanese?

I was wondering the same thing! Perhaps they call it American Drier.

05-01-2006, 9:31 AM
Thanks guys.

Well at least now I know what the Japanese name for it is, I'm sure I can find it at Joyful Honda, my Japanese Borg :D

Japan drier, no idea, I doubt I can even find it......... I think they export it all you you guys :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Tom Jones III
05-01-2006, 10:07 AM
And the reason the art store has the raw linseed is that painters who work in oils do not want the oil to cure quickly so they can "work the work" for longer periods of time.

And if you've seen LOML work you'll know what "longer periods of time" really means. She has been known to take a painting down from the wall a year or two later and "finish" it. Although I don't know what finish means in this instance as there is no gaurantee that she won't do it again a year or two later.

Tim Wirtz
05-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Stu,

I had a really hard time finding DNA in Tokyo at the smaller Home Centers. You may have better luck finding it at Joyful Honda. I finally ended up ordering it from a paint supply company through a friend of mine who owned a R/C store and did a lot of spray painting, etc. If you end up having no luck at Joyful, PM me and I'll give you his name and phone number. He could probably get some for you.

Tim.

05-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks a TON Tim.

The biggest thing is what do they call the stuff? Do you remember that?

Cheers!

Tim Wirtz
05-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I can't write it on this computer but I'll write it when I get home on my bilingual Mac. (I love my Mac.) I'll also e-mail my friend and ask him the exact name of the brand he uses.

Tim

05-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Great

Why isn't your PC Bilingual, mine is, running Win 2K for a number of years. :D

Cheers!

Tim Wirtz
05-02-2006, 1:36 AM
Great

Why isn't your PC Bilingual, mine is, running Win 2K for a number of years. :D

Cheers!

Because the major health insurance company I work for doesn't seem to think that having a computer that can read Japanese is important.... Imagine that....The NERVE....:D

Anyway, here is the info I got from the RC store owner. I left it in Japanese for you.
?????????????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????
If it turns out that you can't read this, pm me your e-mail address and I will send it that way.

Again, if you need more detail, I can give you his contact info and you can get it from him. Hope this helps.

Tim

05-02-2006, 1:46 AM
Because the major health insurance company I work for doesn't seem to think that having a computer that can read Japanese is important.... Imagine that....The NERVE....:D

Anyway, here is the info I got from the RC store owner. I left it in Japanese for you.
??????????????????
If it turns out that you can't read this, pm me your e-mail address and I will send it that way.

Again, if you need more detail, I can give you his contact info and you can get it from him. Hope this helps.

Tim

Well Tim, looks like that did not work.

I'm PMing you now.

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
05-02-2006, 2:12 AM
??????????????????According to my Japanese-English translation program, that comes out as "Huh?!?".
Don't know if that's a brand name or a generic noun though.:D :cool: :p

05-02-2006, 4:15 AM
According to my Japanese-English translation program, that comes out as "Huh?!?".
Don't know if that's a brand name or a generic noun though.:D :cool: :p

....there is always one in the crowd......... :rolleyes:

:D