PDA

View Full Version : English Walnut bowl

Frank Parker
04-30-2006, 10:00 PM
This is from a piece of english Walnut I got about a month ago it has a nice feather to it. It measures 8-5/8" by 3-1/4" with a wall thickness of 3/16" and I numbered it 202, I finished it with Tung oil and I'll buff it with the beale buffs in a couple days. I love turning Walnut and it's pretty easy to get around here. The last two pictures are of my walnut blanks waiting to be roughed out, 1st picture is black walnut and the second is english walnut.
Frank

Corey Hallagan
04-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Ooooh that's a pretty one, love that walnut! Nice job on the bowl!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Frank the bowl is beautiful. I like the finish on it. I to like turning walnut. It seems easy to turn and finishes real nice. Holy cow Frank you got a load of blanks to turn. Should keep you in business for a while.

Mark Cothren
04-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Wow! What a chunk of wood! Almost looks like part of a skeleton in the second pic...:eek: :D

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

John Timberlake
04-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Gorgeous! Love the figure and the simple design makes the grain stand out even more. Quite a stash of blanks there, too.

Ernie Nyvall
04-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow! What a chunk of wood! Almost looks like part of a skeleton in the second pic...:eek: :D

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

No kidding... I saw a backbone and ribs righ off the bat. Real nice work Frank. Pretty wood.

Ernie

John Hart
04-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Got any walnut Frank?:D What a gorgeous piece of wood! The whole bowl is striking.:)

Frank Parker
04-30-2006, 10:34 PM
I like walnut because you can have so much variance in grain and color, here's a black walnut I did, it's 11-1/2" by 4-1/2" by 1/4" and than another english walnut from a limb that died a couple of years before I cut the tree notice the color.
Frank

Curt Fuller
04-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Wow Frank those are both beauties. That's quite a stash of blanks you got lined up too.

Glenn Hodges
04-30-2006, 11:06 PM
Holy mackeral there Frank what beautiful wood, and what you did to it makes it georgous.

Travis Stinson
05-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Man oh man oh man! That wood is................yummmmmmmm, I love it!:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Every one of those walnut bowls tell a story! Fantastic wood, form and finish Frank!

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-01-2006, 1:12 AM
Hey Frank. You have entirely tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many Bowl blanks. I will be more than happy to take some of those off your hands as I'm sure others will be willing to help, too.

BTW........................Those bowls are AWESOME!

Bruce

Jim Davenport
05-01-2006, 4:25 AM
That is beautiful wood!!! You did a great job with those bowls.
That supply of walnut should keep you busy for quite a while;)

Raymond Overman
05-01-2006, 8:58 AM
Excellent bowl Frank. If you need help roughing out those walnut blanks, let me know. I've got some free time Thursday after next. Maybe you can ship me half of them and lighten your load a little. :cool:

Ray Turney
05-01-2006, 9:19 AM
Frank, when you store blanks like that is there anything special you have to do to them to keep them from splitting, cracking etc. Since I don't do any turning myself (YET) I was wondering about the storage of blanks. If I keep lurking at this site you guys are going to make me start turning. Absolutely beautiful bowls!!!!!!! Thanks, Ray Turney in central Kentucky

Frank Parker
05-01-2006, 9:47 PM
I seal them all the way around on the sides and than stack them like lumber with little bitty stickers. I get some cracks but usually I rough them out long before they get dry, plus cracks and checks don't bother me, I fill and seal them using a variety of ways.
Tomorrow I've got to go cut some more walnut, I've been given a couple dozen walnut logs around 30" in diameter by 6' long plus some maple burl, I'll post some pictures when I get some.
Frank

John Hart
05-02-2006, 5:05 AM
.....Since I don't do any turning myself (YET) I was wondering about the storage of blanks. If I keep lurking at this site you guys are going to make me start turning....

Ray...with a name like that....How can you not have a lathe? You're already embedded in the vortex!;) :)