PDA

View Full Version : Air Line Quick Disconnect Question

Ken Garlock
08-28-2003, 12:17 PM
In between running honey-do's, and making multiple runs to the hardware store, I am making slow progress in installing my distribution lines for my air compressor. I also have a large hole in the ceiling of my radio room which some Dumb ***(ME!) made by stepping through an open place in the attic floor :mad: My lesson payment is a skinned shin, an ongoing reminder of what not to do :o

So, finally the question. I have elected to run 1/2" drawn copper for all my piping. (The outlet from the compressor is 1/2".) I am now looking at Quick Disconnect fittings for air hose connections. So I stopped at the orange borg and looked at their connectors. What I find is that, even-though there are connectors for 3/8" hose( called automotive connectors, why I don't know,) they still have 1/4" NPT connections to the supply lines. This seems rather dumb to me. If I run 1/2" supply lines, why throttle the air flow down by passing it through a 1/4" orifice? The borg connectors cost under $3 each.

If I go to the McMaster & Carr catalog, I can find pages and pages of Quick Disconnect fittings. There seems to be 4 types which represent different cross-section profiles. The most common seems to be the "Industrial" connector. BUT, to get a fitting which has a 3/8" pipe fitting end, I am looking at $8-10 each : ( I am planning on using 3/8" hose everywhere.)

So, what do you fine people do for your hose connections :confused:

Phil Phelps
08-28-2003, 1:40 PM
...find a paint store that sells spray equipment. They'll have everything you need. Look for a Texas Paiint in your area. They supply me with every thing I've ever needed for my comprssor. Don't know the size of your compressor, but a half inch supply line seems too small. MHO (that don't stand for medium heavy overlay, either :p )

Bob_Hammond
08-28-2003, 2:12 PM
When I lived in Plano I stepped off of the attic floor, and through the garage ceiling. Went out that same day and bought more flooring for the attic (in the spirit of shutting the barn door after....)

Sure would have been a lot easier if the builder had put down a decent amount of flooring while building the house. I had to cut it all into 2x4ft pieces to get it through the drop down stairs.

Bob

Steve Jenkins
08-28-2003, 2:14 PM
I run 3/8 hose and 1/4 quick-connects. Never have had a problem with air supply. Steve

Bruce Page
08-28-2003, 3:03 PM
I run 3/8 hose and 1/4 quick-connects. Never have had a problem with air supply. Steve

Ken, that was my solution also and I have run air chisels, die grinders & the like without problem.

It ain’t braggin’ if you can back it up. — Dizzy Dean

Jim Becker
08-28-2003, 6:17 PM
Just be sure that all your "males" will work with all your "females". Iv'e had some problems with the brass ones mating properly with the "silver" ones, even though they look identical.

Ken Garlock
08-28-2003, 9:14 PM
My main concern was using a 1/4" NPT with a 3/8" connector, it just didn't seem right to me....

The compressor is an Ingersoll Rand 5hp, 60 gal unit which puts 160# in the tank. I then run the output through a coalescing filter, and a regulator to get it down to about 120-130# for distribution. In the finishing room I regulate down again to whatever I want, currently 60#. I chose 1/2" hard drawn copper because 1/2" is the size of the outlet on the 60 gal tank.

Regarding the ceiling hole, the plywood piece I removed from the attic floor, about 2'x2', was right in-front of a doorway. I removed it to gain access to the area where the pipe made its 90deg turn to go down into the finishing room. So I stepped around the opening and through the door and said to myself, remember that when you go back. Yea, right.... So on the FIRST return trip back through the door, BANG, in stepped in the hole all the way up to my knee, which is longer than the I-joist is tall, hence the hole in the radio room ceiling. Grrrr, intense disgust :mad:

Herb Kelley
08-28-2003, 9:17 PM
Jim raises a good point.
Since you are starting new, buy all of your fittings from a single manufacturer. My experience is that the tolerance differences between manufacturers can cause leakage and fitting engagement problems.

I do not know how long your pipe runs are but I would opt for 3/4" lines. If you are running tools that require a large CPM and have long lines, internal pipe resistance could result in a drop air pressure. Larger pipe will reduce that resistance. For example, I have an IR impact wrench that will not perform to specifications if I use a 1/4" hose and it is happier with a 1/2" hose even though I crank up the pressure at the compressor and the initial pressure at the tool is within operating limits.

Byron Trantham
08-29-2003, 9:37 AM
I just recently installed a Flexell hose and had to to the Big Orange and get some fittings. Wasn't paying attention and got the ones with yellow tape on them. Got home and of course they didn't mate. I took one of my old ones and found out that the ones with red tape do mate [with my connectors]. I do not know the difference except to say try to stay with the same source and in this case use fittings with the same color tape! I use 3/8" air hose for my supply and haven't had any problems.

Dar Lounsbury
08-29-2003, 11:07 AM
I just recently installed a Flexell hose and had to to the Big Orange and get some fittings. Wasn't paying attention and got the ones with yellow tape on them. Got home and of course they didn't mate. I took one of my old ones and found out that the ones with red tape do mate [with my connectors]. I do not know the difference except to say try to stay with the same source and in this case use fittings with the same color tape! I use 3/8" air hose for my supply and haven't had any problems.

How do you like the FLEXEEL hose? I just purchased one but have not yet had a chance to use it.

Jim Becker
08-29-2003, 11:38 AM
How do you like the FLEXEEL hose? I just purchased one but have not yet had a chance to use it.

Best thing since they invented "fill in the blank"! I have a review on my site on the Flexeel. Bottom line...they are light in weight, stay flexible even when it's cold and do their job without inhibiting you the way larger hoses do.

Byron Trantham
08-29-2003, 12:12 PM

As Jim already said, it's the best compromise I've run into. The one feature I like most is it is LIGHT ! I'm going to buy another one 50' long. The one I have now is 25'.

I think you will be very happy with it.

One point. To really appreciate this hose you have to have used one of the convential hoses first. They're buky, heavy and have a mind of their own.