PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl--Crime and Punishment

Ted Calver
04-30-2006, 5:36 PM
My daughter's appartment complex has been around for nearly thirty years and when she moved in a couple of years ago I spotted a large (24"+) Maple tree near one of the buildings which was covered with burl clusters for the better part of the main trunk. I told her to let me know if it ever came down in a storm so I could steal the burls.

A couple of weeks ago she told me the complex had been sold and the new owners were taking out the trees which were hazardous to the buildings. You guessed it! Three truck loads of really nice burl now live at my house. Seems criminal that one guy should have so much burl!!

Now for the punishment. Yesterday, loading some brush for a trip to the dump, I blew my already bad back out to the point where I can barely walk, much less stand at a lathe. Life just ain't fair and if there's pain involved, it can't be a gloat!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2006, 5:41 PM
Sounds like a Good News......Bad News Gloat to me............Unbelieveable good luck on that wood! Get some medical attention for that back!

Ernie Nyvall
04-30-2006, 7:36 PM
Seems criminal that one guy should have so much burl!!!

I completely agree Ted, and so to keep your ethics in tact, I'm going to allow you to send some to me.:D

Hope your back gets better quickly.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2006, 8:48 PM
I am sure Ted there are a few of us that would store some for you if you are out of room. :D :p Take care of your back.