PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of sattelite radio

Fred Voorhees
04-30-2006, 10:08 AM
I will be purchasing a new cd player unit for my truck shortly and will be buying a unit that is also sattalite radio ready. My question is this - currently, I will be looking to get Sirius radio. However, in the future, should I ever want to change over to XM, would this be possible with a unit that had Sirius capability? I understand that a lot of sattalite radio deals are something that you mount on the dash and enable you to simply tune to a weak radio channel to pick up the signal. So, it sounds to me that the switch would be possible. Any takers on this situation?

Keith Starosta
04-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey Fred!! Sirius is awesome!! I've had both them and XM, and by far....Sirius is a superior product.

As to your question, I'm not sure of the technicalities of the situation, but you will probably find the answer to your question here (http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/).

I hope this helps!!

- Keith

Chris Rosenberger
04-30-2006, 11:37 AM
From what I understand you ned a Sirius receiver to get Sirius & an XM receiver to get XM.

Jim Young
04-30-2006, 7:42 PM
There are two options for you:

1)Those things you refer to people putting on their dashes will woek on any radio. They over ride your radio when you have it set to a certain frequency.
2) Then you can get a radio that is satellite ready. This set up to me has the better sound quality, I have one of each. The radios that are satellite ready will work with the one specified. This may have changed in the last year or so without me knowing it since I haven't looked at the radios in that time.

Either way, satellite is awesome. I've been a Sirius subscriber for a few years now.

John Shuk
04-30-2006, 7:43 PM
I'm pretty well sold on XM. I have a portable which allows me to use it as a walkman either live or with stuff that I record kind of like a Tivo. I find tuning into a radio station works pretty well but direct wired would be better.

Christopher Stahl
04-30-2006, 8:04 PM
I personally like XM, but the probably doesn't matter here. :) If you buy a head unit that is satellite ready, then you can buy a satellite receiver based on the service you prefer. If you buy an Alpine head unit, they'll have receivers for you to purchase. This is a better way to go since the FM Modulators really are not that good.

If you do go the FM modulator route, then you can buy the unit you want and use it with the with any receiver.

rick fulton
05-01-2006, 7:04 AM
Hey Fred!! Sirius is awesome!! I've had both them and XM, and by far....Sirius is a superior product.

As to your question, I'm not sure of the technicalities of the situation, but you will probably find the answer to your question here (http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/).

I hope this helps!!

- Keith

Kieth -
Could you elaborate on why you you give Sirius a thumbs up over XM? Better reception, better content, smaller portable, or Howard Stern?
Which has better Jazz, new age, alt rock, selection?
rick

Keith Starosta
05-01-2006, 7:36 AM
Kieth -
Could you elaborate on why you you give Sirius a thumbs up over XM? Better reception, better content, smaller portable, or Howard Stern?
Which has better Jazz, new age, alt rock, selection?
rick

Hi Rick. For me, it's the content. Two of my biggest loves in life are football and hockey. Sirius gives me the opportunity to listen to every NFL game (both visitor and home broadcast teams), and I get to listen to my Wings in the Playoffs right now. And, while it may not be popular with many folks on this forum, I'm a fan of Howard Stern, and comedy in general. I love all three of Sirius' comedy channels! The music channel selection may be a wash, but the other things I mentioned more than make up for it.

- Keith

rick fulton
05-01-2006, 8:28 AM
Thanks Keith!
I used to listen to Stern - every time public radio had its pledge week. ;-)
Good luck to your Wings.
GO DUCKS!
rick

Steven Wilson
05-01-2006, 9:48 AM
If you buy a receiver with Sirrus (builtin or as an option) and the headunit has an aux circuit or an outside unit that provides this then you could wire in an XM car adapter and not use the FM modulator. Then you have the option of having both Sirrus and XM.

Don Baer
05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
I have XM and love it. Have been a subcriber for a years and a half. I am not a Stern Fan but am a big NASCAR fab so XM give me everything I want. I have driven all over the country and the reception is perfect.

Keith Starosta
05-01-2006, 1:27 PM
I have XM and love it. Have been a subcriber for a years and a half. I am not a Stern Fan but am a big NASCAR fan so XM give me everything I want. I have driven all over the country and the reception is perfect.

Well then, Don...before you pay that next monthly bill, you may want to check this out (http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000809703)...

- Keith

Don Baer
05-01-2006, 1:32 PM
Well then, Don...before you pay that next monthly bill, you may want to check this out (http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000809703)...

- Keith

:mad: Well I may need to switch next year..:(

Keith Starosta
05-01-2006, 1:46 PM
:mad: Well I may need to switch next year..:(

You won't be the only one, believe that!!! XM is going to take a pretty "Sirius" hit (:D ) when all the NASCAR fans jump ship at the end of the season. I'm not much of a fan, but it'll be cool to hear the races every now and again.

- Keith

Dave Fifield
05-01-2006, 5:22 PM
I have both XM and Sirius in my car. I have XM (built into the aftermarket Pioneer AVIC N2 unit that I fitted) mainly for its XM Traffic Nav system (up-to-the-minute traffic conditions on all the major highways in the SF Bay Area - very useful!!) and an external Sirius unit because I had it from before I got the AVIC N2 unit.

However, I mostly listen to my iPod music library while driving.

IMO, satellite radio is not all it's cracked up to be. XM has advertizements on (what I thought were supposed to be advert-free) music channels. Also, they play the same damned music selection at the same time every day. The music channels are repetitive and there are adverts on the talk channels on Sirius too. Sirius has poor signal coverage in my area - many, many spots where the darned thing drops out. XM have some local on-the-ground fill-in transmitters around town to alleviate this problem apparently, but Sirius do not.

We need a couple of class action lawsuits to enforce the no-advert promise of satellite radio IMO.

Anyway, Fred, I know of no single unit that will recieve both satellite providers. IMO, you should go the whole hog and get a new Pioneer AVIC N3 unit (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BvAN66WRZ2t/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=AVIC+N3&i=130AVICN3) - CD/DVD/TV/rear camera/video game/iPod/FM radio/XM/Sirius/voice command/navigation system - does everything 'cept make tea!

Dave F.

P.S. If you order anything from Crutchfield, please use this referral code ph70s-33f3p-2jsw then BOTH you and I get $20 credit!!<!-- mp_trans_disable_end -->

Fred Voorhees
05-06-2006, 7:20 AM
...........................Anyway, Fred, I know of no single unit that will recieve both satellite providers. IMO, you should go the whole hog and get a new Pioneer AVIC N3 unit (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BvAN66WRZ2t/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=AVIC+N3&i=130AVICN3) - CD/DVD/TV/rear camera/video game/iPod/FM radio/XM/Sirius/voice command/navigation system - does everything 'cept make tea!

Dave F.

Well, I don't know if I will exactly go that route, though when SWMBO kicks me out of the abode, it would make a fairly suitable place to hang out.:D I expect to be picking up the cd player this coming week and have been looking forward to it. Like some others, I am a big Howard Stern fan, but I also look forward to some alternative country music stations that play stuff that I just can't listen to at the two or three available stations that I recieve now. AND, I have known about the change over from XM to Sirius of NASCAR and that will be a big bonus as I have been a lifelong auto racing fan. I guess I will have to inquire about the XM/Sirius compatability of my particular unit when I make a choice.