PDA

View Full Version : Curved tool rests

Jeff Horton
04-30-2006, 10:07 AM
This is high on my "I really need" list. Not just an I want. I have been looking for a while and I am amazed at the prices of tool rest.

Last night I stumbled upon Highland Hardwares "Tools for woodworking" web site. Looking at their lathe accessories and found they have french curl tool rests for $23. They appear to be cast and look good in the photo. Compared to others this price seems to low. Just curious if anyone had tried or seen one. At this price I think I am going to order one unless someone tells me it's a mistake.

John Hart
04-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Jeff...I use this one. It's cast iron and has worked pretty good. I do have complaints about it though. The round side sorta gets in the way on some curves. It also doesn't have the height that I need in some cases. It doesn't look like the one you're looking at will have either of those problems. Nice price!

George Conklin
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi Jeff,

I'm not a big fan of cast rests. I don't like the rough texture. My chisels seem to get "hung up" quite a bit. In my case it's probably operator error:rolleyes: .
I have had better luck with round stock. While not cheap, they are very smooth. Here's the outfit I've purchased a 12" and a 6" from.
http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/
Give them a look see.

Jeff Horton
04-30-2006, 4:08 PM
George, I have looked at his tools and rests before. I am impressed but $90 for one curved tool rest?? For that kind of money I can replace the cables on my welder, make my own and have money left over.

Terry Quiram
04-30-2006, 5:47 PM
Jeff

I had one of those and did not like it very much. I had one made for my Stubby at the local blacksmith/welding/machine shop. Little straight length and approx 6" radius. It works pretty well. I need to have a larger one made.

Terry