PDA

View Full Version : Just a Little Project for the Wife (Second Try)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-30-2006, 9:19 AM
This project started out because my wife likes to drink cokes in the can. The problem is they form condensation and the get knocked over easily. To remedy the situation I designed what I call her Coke can Coaster/Holder. I know it isn't much, but I had fun finishing it. Scraped until the walls were very smooth and then sanded a little. After that I applied four coats of BLO and sanded and steel wooled in between. After that I applied two coats of wipe-on polly and then used fine steel wool to take off the sheen. Once complete I then waxed it with a mixture of Beeswax, Carnauba and Orange oil.

John Hart
04-30-2006, 9:28 AM
Great idea Christopher! Looks like it'll work out.
We have a German Shepherd that loves to wag her tail. Nothing is safe. I think I'd have to make that with a 10" base. Hmmm.. Maybe that's not such a bad idea!!:rolleyes:

Christopher K. Hartley
04-30-2006, 9:31 AM
Great idea Christopher! Looks like it'll work out.
We have a German Shepherd that loves to wag her tail. Nothing is safe. I think I'd have to make that with a 10" base. Hmmm.. Maybe that's not such a bad idea!!:rolleyes:

John, I had to laugh, that is what my Lab does! I can't tell you how many spilled drinks we've had due to that "HAPPY" tail.

Jim Davenport
04-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Chris, I'm glad to see that you won the battle of the photo's. Great idea, and execution.
I have the same problem with my english Mastiff. That's how he got the nickname "Dogzilla", knocking things over. Then he gets embarrased:eek:

Ernie Nyvall
04-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Good idea Christopher. Nice job.

ernie

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Nice looking piece Christopher. Great idea. I like the finish on it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Unique idea and very well done Christopher!

Corey Hallagan
04-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Great idea Chris, it looks great, I don't see where it has been said what the wood is on this? Nice job.

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Interesting and good lookin' piece. Nice job.

Bruce

Rick Doyle
04-30-2006, 1:06 PM
very nice job - i have 2 little dogs so i know what you mean about knocking over drinks - especially this one -

molly happens to love coffee of all things!

glad to see you got the pics working!

Mark Patoka
04-30-2006, 1:34 PM
Very cool. That's one of those things people see on your desk and say "What a neat idea!" You could call that the "Deep Dish Coaster".

John Hart
04-30-2006, 2:27 PM
Very cool. That's one of those things people see on your desk and say "What a neat idea!" You could call that the "Deep Dish Coaster".

...Or a wooden Koozie!:)

Christopher K. Hartley
04-30-2006, 8:00 PM
Great idea Chris, it looks great, I don't see where it has been said what the wood is on this? Nice job.

Corey This is Live Oak from here in Texas.