View Full Version : Opinions on Woodpeckers drill press table?

Brian Hale
04-30-2006, 7:51 AM
Anyone have one of these? I got my drill press on Friday and it'll be awhile before i have any time to make a table, or even know what i want it to be like. My DP table is 16.5 x 18.5 wide and the front edge is 19" from the column

http://www.woodpeck.com/quickstoplpdptable.html

TIA

Brian :)

Frank Fusco
04-30-2006, 8:02 AM
Looks neat. But when an accessory costs about the same as the main tool I try to get clever and figure out a way to build something for myself from the scrap pile.

Brian Hale
04-30-2006, 8:13 AM
Thanks Frank. Time is tight over here or i'd do as you suggest, besides, the DP was about 4x the price of that table. I looked at cheaper versions but i'm not sure about the MDF/laminate types.

John Buzzurro
04-30-2006, 9:17 AM
Brian, I just ordered that same model from Woodpecker, and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I thought about building my own too, but would rather spend time on other projects.

Bob Noles
04-30-2006, 9:52 AM
Brian,

I have had mine for nearly a year now and absolutely love it. Sure, it is a little on the expensive side, but I have too many other things going to stop and build one. This is a high quality table and I believe you will be most happy with it in the long run. I personally would not take anything for mine. Be sure to get the guide rail stops, they are soooooo handy. :)

Peter Kuhlman
04-30-2006, 10:07 AM
I have the original version from several years ago with a different fence. If I had it to do over, I would build my own. My table has warped some and needs reenforcing. Also, I very often find the need for chip collection and would like to have a fence like a router with vac hose connection. When using as a sander, again, dust collection would be really advisable. The on table ruler/measuring tape has very little benefit as you are referencing a single point like a router bit so fence adjustment still is trial/error with a tape. I have many Woodpecker/Incra products and this is not a bad one, just one that for extremely little money could be made yourself and you could just purchase the fence from Woodpeckers. You could just laminate a couple 3/4 ply boards together to get a table of any size you want and rout in grooves for t-track.
Pete

Chris Rosenberger
04-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I second Bob's statment. I have had for for about 3 years & never thought of it as anything other than the best. Mine has Incra track fence & uses the shop stops. I like the new flip stops. I also added the extension tables because I drill doors for cup hinges.

Brian Hale
04-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Bob, Peter, can you tell me how thick the table is? The website doesn't say.

John, when is yours supposed to arrive?

Thanks

Brian Hale
04-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Nice DP Chris! Those 2 extension table really give you a lot of working space. Do they flex much when you press on them?

Bart Leetch
04-30-2006, 10:39 AM
For or an hour & a half to 2 hours why spend the money. Mine isn't as fancy & for another hour you could make it as fancy.

My table has a sub base bolted to the round drill-press table & then 2 layers screwed one at a time to the sub base with the slot for the T-track routed into the top & a piece of oak with 2 chunks of oak glued to the back for the T-bolts to run through. Some day I'll even get around to installing the T-track in the front of the fence. I probably have about the cost of the T-track knobs & T-bolts into it the rest is scrap I had laying around the shop. I usually use a scrap of material on top of the table to keep from drilling into the table because I am not always lined up where I could have an insert in the table. I have thought about making a routed out area that is fairly large for a 1/4" piece of plywood but with a Radial Drill-press it would have to be fairly large. I think a better idea would be to just tack down or double stick tape 1/4" over the whole the table leaving the slot area open for use & replace as necessary.

The other table pictured is a plan sold by Wood magazine which I plan to build in the future it has a whole lot of versatility built in.

Bob Noles
04-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Bob, Peter, can you tell me how thick the table is? The website doesn't say.

John, when is yours supposed to arrive?

Thanks

Brian,

I just ran out and put a ruler to it. I get 1" thick exactly.

btw.... if you are not in a great hurry, Woodpeck runs these on special several times a year for $99 :)

Chris Rosenberger
04-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice DP Chris! Those 2 extension table really give you a lot of working space. Do they flex much when you press on them?

No they do not flex. The extensions originally came with large hinges so the extensions could be folded down. The hinges supported the extensions well. I never folded them down, so to gain space under the table for my extra dust barrel I removed the hinges & installed 2 - 1 1/8" X 3" X 48" oak strips under the table.
One thing I need to add is that with the extensions & table, it is impossible for me to raise it by hand. With the 6" travel of the quill I do not have to move the table very often. But when I do I use a small bottle jack. If your drill press has a hand crank to raise the table you wll not have any problems.

Brian Hale
04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks Bob! I might wait for a bit but not too long. The new toy is crying for accessories! :D

Bart,I'm looking for a couple pieces of ply right now to clamp on it but I'd rather not spend any more time on it yet. Besides, what most folks accomplish in an hour takes me a weekend. :rolleyes:

Chris, i was considering the wings, at least one but i'd need to fold them down most of the time as space is limited. I also have a bad problem with flat horizontal surfaces collecting junk :o

Chris Rosenberger
04-30-2006, 11:18 AM
I also have a bad problem with flat horizontal surfaces collecting junk :o

I know what you mean.

Chris

The picture did not post.:o

Bart Leetch
04-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Brian & Chris & others I see we all need a pile it bench right next to our tool & parts storage. For those not familiar with this type of bench it where you pile the things as you come into the shop with full arms, buckets, sacks etc. so that your bench, table-saw, drill-press etc. tops would stay clear. Unfortunately:eek: some of us wouldn't take the time to shovel the top of this aforementioned bench once in a while.;)

Bob Noles
04-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Brian & Chris & others I see we all need a pile it bench right next to our tool & parts storage. For those not familiar with this type of bench it where you pile the things as you come into the shop with full arms, buckets, sacks etc. so that your bench, table-saw, drill-press etc. tops would stay clear. Unfortunately:eek: some of us wouldn't take the time to shovel the top of this aforementioned bench once in a while.;)

But Bart.....

That would take all the fun out of my shop..... I just dump it in the floor :)

Brian Hale
04-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I know what you mean.

Chris

What'd you do, clean it up for the pic??? :D :eek: :D

Chris Rosenberger
04-30-2006, 11:49 AM
What'd you do, clean it up for the pic??? :D :eek: :D

You win.:eek:

Chris

Byron Trantham
04-30-2006, 12:22 PM
I second Bob's statment. I have had for for about 3 years & never thought of it as anything other than the best. Mine has Incra track fence & uses the shop stops. I like the new flip stops. I also added the extension tables because I drill doors for cup hinges.

I have the same setup. I've had it for years and it's still doing great. I thought the thin plastic coating may not hold up but not so. I use the wings a lot.:D

Mark Carlson
04-30-2006, 1:58 PM
I have the older version also. Its been great. The main table is 1in thick and the fence is 3/4 of an inch. I like the new flip stops that come with the new version. I dont have the extensions so I cant comment on those.

~mark

Thomas Canfield
04-30-2006, 10:41 PM
I have a similar model that is about 8 years old and had been mounted on a bench top drill until later purchased a 16 1/2" floor drill. I have never regreted the purchase, but have not used the incra stop feature very much. Clamping stops is too easy. I did make a drill press table for the bench top drill before giving it to my son. It was fairly easy as Bart described and I even put an insert section in similar to the Woodpecker. The top was a 1/2" piece of plywood (1/2" MDF would work as well) glued over a 3/4" plywood base. The 1/2" top allows for the fence channels without cutting daddos. You do need to extend the fence channels behind the column and watch out for the height adjustment mechanism clearing the table. Buy or make - whatever the choice - you will enjoy having the flexibility of the larger table, fence, and clamping ability.