PDA

View Full Version : --WARNING-- Tools Ahead!!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-30-2006, 2:07 AM
You have been warned..... :D

They are...

One Ashley Iles 10mm Bowl Gouge
One P&N 13mm Bowl Gouge (the L-O-N-G one)
One P&N 12mm Scraper
One P&N 18MM Scraper

I cannot tell you how pleased I am, I'll get down to the Dungeon later to give them a whirl, but just the heft of them tells me that these are real tools.

Now I just have to get me that Mayo (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=351869#post351869)lathe I found.......(near the bottom)

You know, the one that none of you, even Andy picked up on ........... :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Barry Stratton
04-30-2006, 3:00 AM
Uh oh, you are going to be plowing thru that wood pile now! I just picked up a 1/2" bowl gouge and 1" round scraper - man what a difference. roughed out two small bowls in 1/2 hour.

Can't wait to see the pics of the bowls and the pile of chips on the dungeon.

Great gloat Stu.

04-30-2006, 3:09 AM
Thanks Barry, yeah, just holding them it is so obvious that the tools I was trying to use were a joke.

BTW, the Demo I went to on Saturday, with ean Francious Escoulen, was the first time, since Jr. High School (a LONG time ago) that I've actually seen anyone, besides myself, turn in the flesh.

Report with pics in the works.

Cheers!

Ernie Nyvall
04-30-2006, 4:48 AM
Congrats Stu. They look like real nice tools to me. That big bowl gouge looks like it will shoot the shavings. Good scrapers don't do bad either.

Ernie

Jim Davenport
04-30-2006, 7:29 AM
Stu, you'll love the big bowl gouge. I just bought a 1/2" Crown "Ellsworth signature grind". After watching Bill Grumbine's video for the umteenth time, I've just about got it figured out.
A good gouge really reduces tearout, and saves sandpaper:rolleyes:
Be sure to sharpen them before you use them.

04-30-2006, 7:42 AM
So I've been down in the Dungeon, but I'm doing flatwork, go a quick project for my lovely wife that she wants done TODAY!!

Dunno if I'll make it or not, but I'm trying.

Just having supper now.

MAN I want to try these out...........

Maybe tomorrow.....:(

John Hart
04-30-2006, 8:20 AM
Nice lookin' tools Stu!! And I really like that lathe! Man! I can see spending most time with the center belt at 20-2000 RPM. When are you getting it??:)

04-30-2006, 8:26 AM
Nice lookin' tools Stu!! And I really like that lathe! Man! I can see spending most time with the center belt at 20-2000 RPM. When are you getting it??:)

I understand that most people leave it on the center pulley 95% of the time.

I just started a new thread on the lathe.

I'm not sure, I've got to get this stupid bike to my buddy, and the money from him, our schedules have just not matched up at all in the last week or so :mad:

Soon, is the answer I'd like to give! :D

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Nice tools Stu! I know I could sure tell the difference between the HF and the Sorby and Larson tools.........The HF tools are now begging to be used......they are still lonely!

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Nice tool gloat Stu. Now the fun begins.

Corey Hallagan
04-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Congrats on the new tools Stu!!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-30-2006, 12:40 PM
I see that one of them still appears to have its THONG on. Is it shy or didn't like the music?

Good Gloat there. Hope this post isn't too suggestive. If it is, dump it.

Bruce

04-30-2006, 1:01 PM
Ya, that one was in a soft case, so it has a wax like coating on the tip, keeps it in the soft case.

The P&N tools come in a long plastic two piece tube that screws into itself to change the length, I'm keeping these, as when I got to a workshop or such, it will be really easy to transport them with the tubes.

I know I got to sharpen them, I did the scrapers already, but I've not had time to get anything else done, stuck in flatwork mode today.

Cheers!