PDA

View Full Version : Web site building software..????

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2006, 11:51 PM
OK....I'm tired of building web pages for my personal site manually and having to know every little thing about HTML. Is there a package out there that is NOT an online page builder that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy that makes personal web page building easy? Inquiring minds wanna know. ;)

Joe Pelonio
04-30-2006, 12:05 AM
I thought Outlook Express comes with windows/IE. At least used to. That will work for simple websites. Otherwise you by the full blown Outlook for about $100. There may be better ones and probably cheaper ones out there, but most charge monthly and bundle it with hosting. Did you see if your ISP includes a website builder?

Mark Cothren
04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
You Got One Already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Monte Milanuk
04-30-2006, 1:09 AM
Outlook Express is the email software. Maybe you are thinking of 'Front Page'?

For the OP... one that I found recommended in a book I picked up ('Master Visually - Creating Web Pages') is Coffee Cup. So far it seems pretty slick. You can either use it as a WYSIWYG editor in 'visual' mode, or use the 'code editor' mode where it does syntax highlighting, etc. and other neat stuff (pretty standard fare, though). They have a variety of other companion software for making Flash, etc. The Flash Photo Gallery is pretty neat, but I wouldn't recommend their DirectFTP software... one of the more annoying FTP clients I've used in a while... musta got to used to the full 'geek' FTP clients available in the Unix/Linux/BSD environ.

HTH,

Monte

Rick Doyle
04-30-2006, 1:26 AM
OK....I'm tired of building web pages for my personal site manually and having to know every little thing about HTML. Is there a package out there that is NOT an online page builder that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy that makes personal web page building easy? Inquiring minds wanna know. ;)
hi dennis,

i think you should have a look at a program called Google Page Creator. It's a free online tool that makes it easy for anyone to create and publish useful, attractive web pages in just minutes. You can download it here:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=pages&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.google.com%2F&ltmpl=yessignups

you'lll have to create an account at google, i believe, but that's free too and completely painless!! I've heard from many people that this program is excellent and is highly recommended.

personally, i use ms frontpage 2003 for my website development but it does cost a little - around $200.

good luck!

Vaughn McMillan
04-30-2006, 1:50 AM
Dennis, I had one or more copies of NetObjects Fusion8 that I never even installed, but of course I can't find any of the disks now that they'd be useful to someone. I got the software as part of the sign-up package with my web host (1 & 1 Internet). Although I've not used it, it's my understanding it's a decent website creation tool. Since a lot of copies of it have been distributed as promo copies, I'm guessing you should be able to find a used copy pretty inexpensively. (Heck, if I can find one of mine, you can have it gratis.)

I use Frontpage for work, and since I work from home a fair amount, I have it on my home systems as well. I have a love/hate relationship with Frontpage, but that's pretty good reflection of my feelings about all of the Office suite. "Word" really is a four letter word, although I often preface it with at least one other common four letter word. ;)

- Vaughn

Al Navas
04-30-2006, 8:17 AM
... Is there a package out there that is NOT an online page builder that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy that makes personal web page building easy? ...

I am just curious, Dennis, but is there a reason you would prefer to not use an online page builder? I have used FrontPage in the past (i.e., around 7 years ago). I don't know how the current version compares to the page builders you could find online, though. I am certain it is a sturdy package.

I am a user at the following; no other affiliation!

I have been using JYDHosting.com, which has (as an option) a superb and easy online page building system: WebSiteTonight . It uses templates that the user can modify - one can build a page in minutes or, better yet, it lets you transfer your existing domain into their system. It has to be one of the most reasonably-priced web hosting sites I know; they have month-by-month plans, or yearly with discounts.

Al

Andy Hoyt
04-30-2006, 9:25 AM
Dennis - I second Vaughn's nod for Fusion. It's a WYSISWYG affair with a short learning curve. I manage five sites with it and have no complaints. My version (7.5) came free with my camera. 1and1.com is currently offering 8.0 for $6 with a hosting plan. 9.0 is the current release and runs about $200 I think.

Jim Becker
04-30-2006, 11:01 AM
I use Dreamweaver from Macormedia/Adobe. Long ago, I used FrontPage, but got tired of the non-standards and poor support for alternative browsers. And I do my pages using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) rather than the older tables, etc., which means I can change the look of a site easily without recoding the pages.

Rick Doyle
04-30-2006, 11:52 AM
I use Dreamweaver from Macormedia/Adobe. ... And I do my pages using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) rather than the older tables, etc., which means I can change the look of a site easily without recoding the pages.

hi jim,

dreamweaver is a great product, i like it a lot but i was able to scoop a copy of frontpage when i retired 7 years ago and have upgraded it to the current version by getting the new release on eBay for only $21!! i still keep watching for a deal on dreamweaver though as i would like to give it a try too.

however, just to try and keep everybody on the same page here re products, frontpage 2003 has excellent cascading style sheet(css) capability. i also use css on my website and it definitely makes changes and maintenance much, much easier.

frontpage 2003 also now supports the use of previewing your pages using multiple browsers(i.e. netscape, firefox etc.) at varying resolutions - this is a very handy feature.

i have absolutely no affiliation with frontpage or microsoft(wish i did:) )!!

Joe Pelonio
04-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Outlook Express is the email software. Maybe you are thinking of 'Front Page'?
MonteOops, you are right, meant Front Page.

Curt Fuller
04-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Dennis, I know just a little less about computer stuff than I know about brain surgery. But I was steered to NVU http://www.nvu.com/ by a very knowlegeable authority, my daughter. I've been able to make it work for me so that means it's pretty simple.

And even better, it's free!

Glen Peters
04-30-2006, 6:49 PM
You may want to try Arachnophilia (http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.html). The latest ver. is Java based, earlier ones were not. It is "careware". The author is anti M$ and ..... anyway see his site. The software is pretty good and the price is right.

Glen

Jim Becker
04-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that link, Curt....my brother was coincidentally looking for something to build a web site with and the price is right!