PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mowers - Small Yard

Andy Haney
04-29-2006, 10:40 PM
My mower looks to be shooting craps, and isn't worth the repair expense. I'm shopping for a push-type (maybe S-P) for a small yard (I push it in less than an hour). Mulching is important, as is catching. Side discharge not really necessary. Consumer Reports has a current article, but I'm interested to know if you have any insights and recommendations, good or bad.

Thanks,
Andy Haney

Joe Pelonio
04-30-2006, 12:09 AM
I've been lucky with a sears mulching mower that I got in 1995, never had a problem with it, still starts the first pull except the first time after the long winter layoff. I have only used the catcher once, when it got really high, normally it mulches so well that there's no sign of the cut grass after. It's rear bag (hard plastic).

Joe Mioux
04-30-2006, 12:34 AM
For gas powered mowing look at Honda. If it is really small how about a non engine reel type mower.

Joe

Vaughn McMillan
04-30-2006, 1:58 AM
Here's one that was offered to me recently...I think it was Andy Hoyt who suggested it. The handle configuration looks like it could be pushed or pulled, but it's got the mulcher and fertilizer distribution systems built in.

- Vaughn

Art Mulder
04-30-2006, 6:51 AM
I'm shopping for a push-type .... Mulching is important, as is catching.

Andy... I live on a "typical" city lot, about 50' wide by 150' deep.

I use one of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/gardening/pa810g2.jpg

Light. Quiet. Safe. Economical. Zero emissions. Excellent Fuel economy:)

My tolerance for noisy mowers has dropped like a stone since switching to one of these 10 years ago. I just pull out the old electric in the fall when it comes time to chop up the leaves.

(But I don't understand why you want mulching as well as bagging. Those are rather contradictory. If you mulch the grass, why would you want to catch it? The point of a mulching mower is to chop it fine and drop it bag down so that it nourishes the soil.)

Ryan Ricks
04-30-2006, 7:00 AM
I'm another one for Honda. I have always had great luck with them. As for bagging and mulching, I like to have both. I like the bagging because I occasionally like to have the clippings for mulch in the garden - the rest of the time I mulch (or rear discharge if I have let the grass get a little too tall).

-Ryan

Frank Pellow
04-30-2006, 7:29 AM
I have the same mower as Art and it is more than up to the job. And, it's really nice not having to conrend with gas fumes or an electric cord.

Here is another view:

For more information see: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10190&cat=2,2160,51170

Larry Conely
04-30-2006, 9:09 AM
We moved a year ago. After extensive research, I decided on a Brill. This is a German mower imported and sold by a gentleman in Maine. It is a reel type mower that uses a 24 volt battery. I purchased an extra battery, but as it turns out, I rarely use it. If the battery craps out, it can by used as a normal push-type reel mower. It is nearly silent and doesn't pollute (pretending the grid doesn't exist). Great mulcher. I love it though I wish it used a bit less plastic..

Larry

skip coyne
04-30-2006, 9:14 AM
we have a small yard and Ive used a $10 electric weed eater to keep it mowed . takes about a hour

thing is she has so many plants and lawn stuff that I had to do most of it with the weedeater evan when the gas one was working :rolleyes:

Dave Richards
04-30-2006, 5:11 PM
We have a Singer 24V mower my wife bought about 8 years ago at a garage sale. Very nice to mow the yard with and quiet. I can even hear the phone ring in the house while mowing with it. I forget who has their name on these things now. It seems to me Ryobi did for awhile and then who knows.

John Weber
05-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Andy,

My Toro is 10 years old and works as good as it did when new. I've changed the oil and did replace the drive belt last year. My Dad's is about the same model, but 7 years older then mine. No problems either. Starts easy, mulches, rear bag, or side discharge. It's power drive, and not very loud, a nice feature I didn't notice until my neighbor mows his lawn. It takes me about an hour to mow our yard.

Hondas are nice, but B&S parts are easy to find, seem to last as long and start as easy.

John

Rob Russell
05-01-2006, 12:00 PM
One big reason for bagging and mulching is so you can bag the leaves in the fall and mulch the rest of the time.

I have a 15 year old Toro commercial pus mower with a Suzuki 2-cycle engine on it. It still starts the second opull every time (first to prime).

Rob

JayStPeter
05-01-2006, 1:27 PM
If you go motorized, get a Honda or Kawasaki motor on it. Lots of brands use these motors now. I do like the Honda brand personally. Both brands are bulletproof and survive poor winterization much better than other brands.

Jay

Steve Hayes
05-01-2006, 2:50 PM
Vaughn, where did you get the pic of my ex-mother in law. And I had to see it right after lunch!!

Andy Haney
05-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I like the goat best! :rolleyes:

The yard is too large (or I'm too lazy :o) for a reel-type mower...or a string trimmer.:eek: The lot is about 120' x 140'. Seems like the replies/preferences expressed somewhat mirror the Consumer Reports findings. It will probably depend on what "bargains" are available the day old reliable dies.

Bagging is primarily for leaves, with grass mulched most of the time. My experience has been that the lawn is healthier since I learned to mow it higher and started mulching. I haven't had a thatch problem (Fescue in Kansas for you guys that know more about it than me).

Andy

Norman Hitt
05-02-2006, 4:06 AM
I bought a John Deere SP in 1977 and it finally gave up three years ago, Soooo......I bought another John Deere. It came with both a mulching blade and a regular blade, a bag, and a separate side chute for when you just want to cut in the rough without mulching OR bagging, (Like on the vacant 1/4 city block we own). I do have my doubts that this one will last as long as the last though.

Three presses on the primer button and it starts every time on the FIRST Pull. First start of the year took TWO pulls this year though because I picked up the wrong gas can and the gas was old.

Vaughn McMillan
05-02-2006, 4:08 AM
Vaughn, where did you get the pic of my ex-mother in law. And I had to see it right after lunch!!
As was pointed out to me when I first saw that pic, I think a closer examination will show that's your ex-father in law. :eek: :D Sorry to upset your lunch, but if your wife had any family resemblance, I see why she's the ex. ;)

- Vaughn

Mark Pruitt
05-02-2006, 8:10 AM
....you might consider this as an "upgrade".........:p :D

Frank Pellow
05-02-2006, 11:45 AM
I like it Mark! :) I have a couple of very old bikes around, so maybe using one this way with an old lawnmower could be a future project for me. :D

Joe Mioux
05-02-2006, 8:49 PM

You know, given the correct gearing of the bike and maybe a little wider swath, this could be viable.

I like it.:)

Frank Pellow
05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
You know, given the correct gearing of the bike and maybe a little wider swath, this could be viable.

I like it.:)
Yes, I certainly think that it could be. I was semi-serious when I said that I might try it as a project some day. It wouldn't be worth it on my lawn but it could work at my daughter Kristel's place.

Art Mulder
05-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Yes, I certainly think that it could be. I was semi-serious when I said that I might try it as a project some day.

Here, Frank:

http://www.geocities.com/rcgilmore2000/HP_Mower.jpg

I found that by googling "recumbent mower"

Mark Pruitt
05-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I was semi-serious when I said that I might try it as a project some day.

The most serious structural flaw to be overcome is in the angle with which the mowing mechanism is mounted to the steering column. It won't turn as pictured. However, I can picture a configuration involving a U-joint with a vertical shaft leading to the cutter. That might indeed work.

Art Mulder
05-03-2006, 2:48 PM
The most serious structural flaw to be overcome is in the angle with which the mowing mechanism is mounted to the steering column. It won't turn as pictured. However, I can picture a configuration involving a U-joint with a vertical shaft leading to the cutter. That might indeed work.

I think the photo I dug up is rear-steering. That probably is best for this sort of situation. The other thing you probably want is to defeat the coaster mechanism, you want a reverse gear, after all; you need to be able to back up.