PDA

View Full Version : Plane question

James Ayars
04-29-2006, 9:19 PM
Here's my situation. I have no planes. I would like to get one for the purpose of reducing the amount of sanding I have to do. I can't afford a LN or Veritas. Would the Stanley planes and/or Groz planes sold by Woodcraft serve my purpose? If so, which brand would be preferred? My guess is Stanley, but only a guess. Also which size..4or5 or some other size?

Many thanks for all the advice I've gotten on this forum.
James

Dev Emch
04-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Here's my situation. I have no planes. I would like to get one for the purpose of reducing the amount of sanding I have to do. I can't afford a LN or Veritas. Would the Stanley planes and/or Groz planes sold by Woodcraft serve my purpose? If so, which brand would be preferred? My guess is Stanley, but only a guess. Also which size..4or5 or some other size?

Many thanks for all the advice I've gotten on this forum.
James
If your looking for a smoother on the cheap, begin your search for a stanley #4 or #4.5 plane in the usual places. Ebay, garage sales, posted want adds on SMC, etc. etc. Its not uncommon for one to show up on the super cheap. Then you will need to restore it. This is not a difficult job and you can ask questions here as you go. I have a couple of pre world war two stanley (non bed rock) planes and they are extremely nice! The bed rocks were a slightly different version and they will cost more as the collectors cherish them more. Also, the bed rock is the plane that Lie Nielsen copied when making most of this planes including the #4 and #4.5. Best wishes forward...

Brian Hale
04-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Have you also considered card scrapers? They work real good at smoothing a surface but take a little practice to sharpen. I use mine more and more...

Brian :)

Maurice Metzger
04-30-2006, 1:55 AM
James, the current UK-made Stanley planes have an extremely poor reputation for quality compared to older US-made Stanley planes. Most people get their planes from eBay, flea markets, or used tool sellers.

Personally I've had two new Stanley planes - a 92 shoulder plane that came pre-rusted (under the nickel plating), and a low angle block plane that used to celebrate vigorous planing strokes by flying apart.

I think the Groz planes also have a bad reputation, but I don't know much about the brand.

For smoothing a number 4 is considered the standard plane size. If you do wind up looking on eBay, make sure the seller show a picture of the mouth of the plane - any chips there can possibly make the plane unusable.

If you ask this question in the Neanderthal Haven area, you'll get a wealth of replies and a lot more information.

HTH, Maurice

jonathan snyder
04-30-2006, 2:07 AM
James,

I was recently in the same boat. I am currently learning to use hand planes. I now understand why some guys only use hand tools. I recently bought a WW1 era stanley #4 type 11. It works well in my opinion, but I have never used a LN of LV. I spent a little time tuning it up. There is lots of info on the web on tuning up old planes. From what i have read type 11's are some of the more desirable and affordable types. Bedrock are out of my budget. I bought my smoother from Sandy Moss. He is great to do business with, dosn't ask for money untill you get the plane!

Here is his address www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm

You might want to check out the Neanderthal Haven section here, lots of guys with a lot of knowledge. I posted a similar question to yours some time ago, and it was suggested I get a vintage stanley.

Good luck

Tom Jones III
05-01-2006, 9:37 AM
I didn't have any local place to pick up used Stanley's, and I didn't want to pay the price for new LV or LN, so I made my own. Take a look at these two books:
Making and Mastering Wooden Planes by David Finck
ISBN: 140272022X

And my favorite:
Making Traditional Wooden Planes by John M Whelan
(http://sawmillcreek.org/)ISBN: 1879335697 (http://sawmillcreek.org/)

Joe Meazle
05-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I will join the chior singing the old plane song, but I do love my Veritas planes from LV. Don't forget that stanley was not the only maker of good planes. Record, Sargent, Union, Keen Kutter, Millers Falls, et al made good planes in the past.

I will second Brian on the card scrapers You might want to look at a cabinet scraper too Like a Stanle #80 or the LV version.
Joe

Tom Jones III
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I just bought a new Stanley #80 because LOML wanted to help me on a project and her dainty little hands could not scrape by hand. The #80 worked like a dream. I highly recommend it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
If your looking for a smoother on the cheap, begin your search for a stanley #4 or #4.5 plane in the usual places. Ebay, garage sales, posted want adds on SMC, etc. etc. Its not uncommon for one to show up on the super cheap. Then you will need to restore it. This is not a difficult job and you can ask questions here as you go. I have a couple of pre world war two stanley (non bed rock) planes and they are extremely nice! The bed rocks were a slightly different version and they will cost more as the collectors cherish them more. Also, the bed rock is the plane that Lie Nielsen copied when making most of this planes including the #4 and #4.5. Best wishes forward...

Yah, what he said.
I was never quite able to feel the difference between a high priced plane and a good old Stanley or Bailey from a yard sale. For my money it's either sharp or it's not.

A plane is such a simple tool you can make your own from maple.

Montgomery Scott
05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Go over to woodnet and post a query for an old Stanley. There are a number of guys who rehab old planes and make them as good as new for a reasonable price. Rarebear is one of them. I've never heard a bad word about one of his rebuilt planes.

here's his website http://www.rexmill.com/