PDA

View Full Version : Working Sonoma Ironwood on the lathe??

Bob Oswin
08-27-2003, 8:56 PM
My buddy brought me some Ironwood (pea/ olive/.???Sonoma desert)

There are about 50 rings per inch so this stuff is old!(7 lbs /sq ft)
and brittle... I have been gently trying to scrape out a potpouri bowl.
This stuff is tres catchy!
The least little pressure will knock it off .

I need some serious guidance now!

I can make tools to fit the job so do your worst to me.

p.s It could always be gun butts or earings! :p

Over my head in Edmonton.
Bob

Scott Greaves
08-28-2003, 11:14 AM
My buddy brought me some Ironwood . . .

Hi Bob,

I have some chunks of that stuff. If you're expecting cute little curls and shavings to come off when you turn it - forget it! It usually comes off as dust. About all I can recommend is to use sharp tools, and go slow. Did I say sharp? I meant very sharp!

Since you make your own tools, you might try making a couple of small scrapers with slightly different profiles. Try buying some carbide inserts off of Ebay or from Enco, and glue those to a flat on the end of your tool steel with CA glue - they should work well for scraping Ironwood.

Good Luck! It polishes up nicely!

Scott.

Dominic Greco
08-28-2003, 12:35 PM
<P>Bob,
<P>That stuff is tough as the dickens on tools. Like Scott says, keep your tools sharp.
<P>Last year, Scott sent me some of that Sonorran Ironwood. Up until that point, I thought Pecan was the hardest wood I've ever encountered. But by paying attention to my tool's edge, and making sure I never took too big of a bite, I was able to make a pretty cool looking little bowl. The color of this stuff was amazing. Deep plum red.
<P>See ya,
<p>Dominic

Ken Salisbury
08-28-2003, 1:33 PM
Scott also sent me a chunk a couple years back - it make beautiful pens. Again - your tools must be sharp and you must use light cuts.

I am still waiting for Scott to send me another chunk :D

Bob Oswin
08-28-2003, 7:25 PM
Hi Bob,

I have some chunks of that stuff. If you're expecting cute little curls and shavings to come off when you turn it - forget it! It usually comes off as dust. About all I can recommend is to use sharp tools, and go slow. Did I say sharp? I meant very sharp!

Since you make your own tools, you might try making a couple of small scrapers with slightly different profiles. Try buying some carbide inserts off of Ebay or from Enco, and glue those to a flat on the end of your tool steel with CA glue - they should work well for scraping Ironwood.

Good Luck! It polishes up nicely!

Scott.
Hi Scott;
I got a 1/2 gouge shape scraper made up today in O1.
I will need a blunt end and possiblly a better parting tool.
I am going for a potpourri if the wood is willing.
Got hold of Kennemetal about getting some carbide for the scrapers.
At least I will be prepared for the worst this way.
Sure wish I'd stuck to gardening today! ;)

Bob

Bob Oswin
08-28-2003, 8:05 PM
Scott also sent me a chunk a couple years back - it make beautiful pens. Again - your tools must be sharp and you must use light cuts.

I am still waiting for Scott to send me another chunk :D
Ken:
I figured it might work on pens.
The stuff I have does not like bulk and gets real catchy give the slightest provocation.
I'd love t wind her up a notch but I'm afraid of putting a hole through the wall when it goes. :)

Bob

Bob Oswin
08-28-2003, 8:09 PM
<P>Bob,
<P>That stuff is tough as the dickens on tools. Like Scott says, keep your tools sharp.
<P>Last year, Scott sent me some of that Sonorran Ironwood. Up until that point, I thought Pecan was the hardest wood I've ever encountered. But by paying attention to my tool's edge, and making sure I never took too big of a bite, I was able to make a pretty cool looking little bowl. The color of this stuff was amazing. Deep plum red.
<P>See ya,
<p>Dominic
Dominic:
If I get anything half as good as this from my stash I am going to hang up my tools!
You really have to have cut this stuff to get the full meaning of what this bowl really is.
Bravo! Dominic! Bravo!

Bob