PDA

View Full Version : Final Gloat...MM Planer/joiner/mortiser

Mark Singer
04-29-2006, 7:15 PM
The MM guys were at it and fast! I had my new electric bed 41 Elite S 3 phase in and the other out within a 2 week period, This 3 phase model has the electric bed and a couple of more HP at 6.6hp the single phase is 4.8 hp. The rest of the machine is the same. Controls on the back for the mortiser....Westcott Chuck....3 directional moving mortising table... Large fence. The Euro guard arm was short made fot the non "S"model...so with Sams help a photo I made an extension....the longer one is probably in route. Performance is great! Very smooth planning and jointing! It is nice to just raise the bed a tenth using the controls and the digital readout and make a pass.

3 Phase is acomplished via a Kay Industries phase converter. A small power station weighing in at almost 300 pounds. Running , it has a definite motor sound....louder than I expected. I will call Larry Katz on Monday and see if its normal. This model has the disconnect and will handel 22 HP so the 3 phase side of my brain is thinking...hum??

I wanted to add a final Thank you to both Jim Strain and Sam Blasco....they really do what they say! This is uncommon in todays macine and tool buying world. Jim just had an open heart surgery and is doing well! Your prayers would help as well...I can'tsay enough about both of these great guys.

Norman Hitt
04-29-2006, 7:25 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Singer]The MM guys were at it and fast! I had my new electric bed 41 Elite S 3 phase in and the other out within a 2 week period,

Errrrrr......ummmmmmm.:confused: ...........didn't you forget somethin', Mark????

The"
PICTURES':D :D

Congrats on the new "Combined Toys".

Sheesh..........after I posted this, the pictures suddenly appeared. Either Me or this computer has finally gone completely nuts. All that Baby needs now, is a LOTTA Sawdust on it. Seeing that "Technomax" on it had me confused, 'til I realized that thing is just TOO BIG to be called a "MINIMAX".

John Hulett
04-29-2006, 7:38 PM
I saw your DJ-20 in the classifieds section the other day. Wishing I had a grand laying around - even thinking of a way I could swing it - I wondered why you were selling it. Here, I have the answer. Congrats!

- John

John Miliunas
04-29-2006, 7:38 PM
Doooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!! Man, you're rockin' now!!!:D That is just flat out kick-a$$!!! :D All I need now is a big yellow "G" planted on my head and I'm set for the Packer season, 'cuz the rest of me is now green with envy!!! :o Yup, that's what I call pullin' out the BIG guns! Can't wait to see the first project results coming off of that bad boy. So-o-o-o-o-o....When can we expect to see the slider??? :confused: :D Congrats, Mark! You had that one coming, my friend! Enjoy. :) :cool:

Todd Davidson
04-29-2006, 8:08 PM
That's sweet Mark. Congratulations!

Jim Becker
04-29-2006, 8:09 PM
This model has the disconnect and will handel 22 HP so the 3 phase side of my brain is thinking...hum??

I believe that would be spelled "humm"...........as in "bzzzzzzzz".... LOL! :p

Seriously, congrats on the "new installment", errr....installation of this great machine! Robert Tarr and I are actively scheming with a customer for an LA visit sometime in the next couple of months and plan on trying to cop and extra day for a visit to the Singer compound so we can fondle your new iron. :o

And thanks for the info about Jim. Thoughts are on the way!

Jim Becker
04-29-2006, 8:11 PM
Seeing that "Technomax" on it had me confused, 'til I realized that thing is just TOO BIG to be called a "MINIMAX".

Stay tuned...MM is kicking it up a notch in the competitive marketplace...I believe that Mark may be hosting the "world premier", too...

Frank Pellow
04-29-2006, 8:17 PM
Congratulations Mark!

I like hearing about such state of the art machines even though I know I will never have one.

Dev Emch
04-29-2006, 8:21 PM
Ohhhhhh Booooyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! Someone just got the electron ferries happy! The planer/jointer machine looks good! And three phase is the way to go.

On the three phase, that phase converter looks a bit more than merely familiar. Is the converter rated at 15 HP or 20 HP? Never mind the disconnect box. You should have a punched name plate on the converter that tells you what your maxium loadings are. What are they? Normally these are on top of the cover for the box atop the converter that hold the caps, etc.

What I noticed is that you have to isolate your converter from the floor using the pads supplied or rubber feet. You will also find a bit of a buzzz if the top cover is loose. And the converter does produce more noise than i would like. Mine is much loader than my older home made phase converter was. Post the model numbers so we know what your running. Eventually you may wish to locate the converter in a place outside of your shop in either another room or closet or what not.

Are any of the motors in your new toy two speed motors? Still wondering why you may need such a larger converter. Some 2 speed euro motors can really make you wonder how to get them to run on converters.

P.S.Edit. Oh yah, did you get a converter rated for use with CNC machines? These have a nasty habit of buzzing and clicking when you power them down. They also have an LED overload inside the main box and two screws on the hall effect sensor that adjusts the kick in time and current sensing window. But this is only on the CNC versions.

Jim Becker
04-29-2006, 8:28 PM
What I noticed is that you have to isolate your converter from the floor using the pads supplied or rubber feet. You will also find a bit of a buzzz if the top cover is loose. And the converter does produce more noise than i would like.

The rubber pads are a great idea. I'll also suggest that some kind of small baffle in front of the unit to reduce direct sound radiation will also help...choosing the material that best matches up with the more annoying frequencies, etc.

John Miliunas
04-29-2006, 8:40 PM
Eventually you may wish to locate the converter in a place outside of your shop in either another room or closet or what not.

Wow! You know, that Dev is always thinking!!! Tell 'ya what, Mark; You can locate that converter right next to my cyclone! :D Yeah, I know, I know...Such a martyr I am but, I've got enough room there and it won't bother me that much, 'cuz it's on the other side of the shop wall, so no biggie. :) Just need to get yourself a nice lo-o-o-o-o-ong extension cord and all is good! Aren't I just the greatest??? :rolleyes: :o :cool:

Mark Singer
04-29-2006, 8:48 PM
Dev,
It is rated at 22 HP from Kay industries and it was specified for the MM unit by Kay. It came with felt pads and I did use them. It also stated to not bolt it down....so it is just sitting. I am trying to think of the loud hmm as a pleasant noise....Like when I start up mY Porsche Turbo...its loud...sweet and loud....I need to just adjust my thinking:rolleyes:

Dev Emch
04-29-2006, 8:56 PM
Dev,
It is rated at 22 HP from Kay industries and it was specified for the MM unit by Kay. It came with felt pads and I did use them. It also stated to not bolt it down....so it is just sitting. I am trying to think of the loud hmm as a pleasant noise....Like when I start up mY Porsche Turbo...its loud...sweet and loud....I need to just adjust my thinking:rolleyes:
Something is not right here. According to the Kay design principles, you are now capable of causing a brownout in your own neighborhood!:p;):D Joking aside, this is one of the largest converters I have ever seen. Did you know your spinning a 44 HP idler motor? This converter will run Lou's Timesaver sander with room to spare. In fact, if your largest motor is about 6.6 HP on your new machine, you can run Lou's Timesaver *AND* your jointer/planer concurrently! I have to wonder if their not talking about sustained overall loads of 22 HP. If I take 22 and divide by 1.5, I come up with 14.667 which sounds and looks more realistic. That would mean you have a 15 HP converter which is still spinning a 30 HP idler motor. That is what I am running. Do you have a way of measuring your converters idle current? Would be interesting to know this figure.

It looks like you have either an MA-3-R or the MA-4-R. This assumes you have no hardware for remote auto start of the converter.

Mark Singer
04-29-2006, 9:22 PM
Dev,
It is only MA1BR....maybe my specs are wrong...:confused:

Here is a link:

http://www.kayind.com/pdf_files/technical_documents/connection_diagrams/MA_R_connection_diagram.pdf

Dev Emch
04-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Dev,
It is only MA1BR....maybe my specs are wrong...:confused:

Here is a link:

http://www.kayind.com/pdf_files/technical_documents/connection_diagrams/MA_R_connection_diagram.pdf

Bummer, now you cannt hang out in your shop like Dr. Frankenstein!:confused: Really, this is a 7.5 HP converter which is a very respectable converter for most industrial machines that wind up in a home shop. You may have trouble getting an oliver 299 planer to turn over however but your new toy takes care of that. And your idle current is also much lower which helps on the electric bill if you run this thing for extended periods of time.

Eric Shields
04-30-2006, 6:29 AM
Mark,

I was drooling over the DJ20 and 15" Planer you had posted in the classified section and was wondering, "Why??" The answer is now obvious, congrats on the new machine.

Eric

lou sansone
04-30-2006, 6:51 AM
congrats on the new Tecnomax equipment. It looks real nice. I know that these are massive machines, but for some reason it is hard to get a sense of scale from your photos.
IRT the noise issue, you can hang sound absorbing foam on a small area behind the converter. Some of the best is a laminate material that is a combination of open cell foam and lead. McMaster carr sells it and we have use it for years in our anechoic chambers in my day job.

best wishes and give us a run down on how they perform
Lou

Christian Aufreiter
04-30-2006, 8:01 AM
Congrats, Mark. That’s definitely an impressive piece of machinery. Now if I only had enough space and money:o
I would appreciate if you kept us posted about your experiences with this jointer/planer/mortiser combo because I’m contemplating a jointer/planer myself and the little sister of your Minimax caught my attention.

Christian

Charlie Plesums
04-30-2006, 2:12 PM
Final Gloat...MM Planer/joiner/mortiser
Anybody want to bet?

Jenny couldn't imaging me wanting anything after the MiniMax Elite combo... as she reminded me when I got the bandsaw a couple days ago. That TecnoMax line (the new upscale MiniMax, for those who hadn't noticed) that you are initiating looks sweet, so I wouldn't be surprised to see you replace other equipment.

Congratulations... I'm sure you will love the new machine ... as well as the MiniMax service.

Mark Singer
04-30-2006, 2:30 PM
Anybody want to bet?

Jenny couldn't imaging me wanting anything after the MiniMax Elite combo... as she reminded me when I got the bandsaw a couple days ago. That TecnoMax line (the new upscale MiniMax, for those who hadn't noticed) that you are initiating looks sweet, so I wouldn't be surprised to see you replace other equipment.

Congratulations... I'm sure you will love the new machine ... as well as the MiniMax service.

Charlie, you may be correct...about 2 weeks ago I titled a thread "Temporary Gloat" since I had been sent the wrong machine and they told me to use it.....hence (a word I don't use often , but I heard in Mel Gibson movies) the title " Final Gloat" when the electric bed model arrived...

Corey Hallagan
04-30-2006, 2:53 PM
Congrats on the new equipment Mark, those are beautiful machines. Enjoy them!

Corey

Alan DuBoff
04-30-2006, 3:12 PM
Like when I start up mY Porsche Turbo...its loud...sweet and loud....I need to just adjust my thinking:rolleyes:Well, there's not much like the Porsche when it gets up to 4500 rpm, it starts singin' to 'ya...now, there are different schools on normally aspirated vs turbo, and I happen to side on the normally aspirated type that doesn't have a wasserphumper...

I would have to equate your MM purchase akin to the Porsche of electrons...kudos to 'ya, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Mike Wilkins
05-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Wait a minute. Had to clean the drool off the keyboard.
Now. Here we go.
Congrats on the new iron. I admired the power lift planer table on a Felder J/P machine at the Greensboro, NC woodworking show, and this is nice. On my current j/p machine, you have to crank the table about a gazillion times to get it to planing height. And you have enough power to joint any form of exotic thrown at it.
Have fun and watch those fingers.

tod evans
05-01-2006, 10:25 AM
pretty spiffy mark, nice score! so have you tried making it grunt yet? .02 tod

Don Baer
05-01-2006, 1:00 PM
Super gloat Mark. I know your gonna do that New Iron justice.

Mark Singer
05-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I have had a chance to try the 3 functions and with great results. I ran two 3 foot boards through the joiner and placed the edges together....no light showed from edge to edge, not even at the ends where snipe is typical.

Then I planed a 3 foot long board and layed one of the jointed edges on the face...no light showed from edge to edge.

The mortiser cuts clean mortises...and with great depth using the Osrund birds mouth bits.

All of this was without any machine adjustments....just checking the fence to the table with a machinest square for 90 degrees.

The surfaces are smooth with a very fine scallop easily removed with a hand plane or can be glued up right off the machine.

I am quite impressed with the quality and set-up of the Elite S....

lou sansone
05-04-2006, 5:56 AM
hi mark
so it sounds like you made a good choice on the unit. how is the 3 phase converter working out?

lou

Mark Singer
05-04-2006, 7:51 AM
hi mark
so it sounds like you made a good choice on the unit. how is the 3 phase converter working out?

lou

Lou,

It is noisy. I talked with Larry Katz at Kay and he suggested that I listen to the sound tests on the Kay Industries website. I did and my unit appears to be much noiser. I have it up against a concrete block wall and on the concrete floor. This may be part of the problem. As far as the power, it seems to work fine. The MM runs smoothly from the Phase converter. I will probably make a insulated sound enclosure for the phase converter, still allowing for good ventilation.

tod evans
05-04-2006, 7:54 AM
crank up the stereo:)

Mark Singer
05-04-2006, 8:53 PM
crank up the stereo:)

Tod,
What music is most effective...I don't like real hard rock or heavy metal...with the exception of the FS 41 elite s:confused:

Larry Cooke
05-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Tod,
What music is most effective...I don't like real hard rock or heavy metal...with the exception of the FS 41 elite s:confused:Mark,

How about some classic music? Say "Flight of the Bumble Bee?" That ought to work just grand! :)

Btw, that sure is a purdy machine you have there!

Larry

Corvin Alstot
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Mark/
Fantastic planer/joiner/mortiser! I can't imagine you can upgrade from
here and still same in the same shop. Wow.

Was the upgrade in machines inspired by a future project or will this
just make things just easier?

Best regards,
Corvin

Mark Singer
05-04-2006, 11:39 PM
[quote=Corvin Alstot]Mark/
Fantastic planer/joiner/mortiser! I can't imagine you can upgrade from
here and still same in the same shop. Wow.

Was the upgrade in machines inspired by a future project or will this
just make things just easier?

Best regards,
Corvin[/quote

Corvin,
A good question. I am spoiling myself a bit , I guess. The old stuff was actuall just a few years old and worked well. I have been doing larger projects than I really thought I would at this time. All the doors and bath cabinets for the Balboa house......large pieces of furniture...sofas, etc. What i saved on the home I am building easily pays for the Elite S.... I often have boards wider than 8" that need surfacing. The other reason is really the mortiser.... if you added the cost of say the Multi Router, to the cost of a large jointer and a large high quality planer....you are there.

Space wise it really works...I can walk around and there is room for long boards. The footprint is smaller...ao I guess several reasons I guess.
'

Dick Parr
05-05-2006, 3:02 AM
Congrats Mark, nice looking piece of equipment.

Pete Harbin
05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Congrats Mark! Can't wait to see some more of your work roll off this baby.

Pete