PDA

View Full Version : A big one in the makin'

Terry Quiram
04-29-2006, 6:14 PM
My sister has been after me to make her a large salad bowl. I finally found an Ash that would provide a suitable blank. This is the roughed bowl. 20" dia and 8" tall. I spent a week soaking in alcohol and I wrapped it today. The walls are nearly 2" thick and it weighs 25 lbs. I figure it will be ready to finish in about 6 months.

Terry

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2006, 6:16 PM
Massive bowl Terry! It's good to see you posting again!

Jim Ketron
04-29-2006, 6:19 PM
Oh yea Thats a whopper Terry
One Big Ash Bowl
Can't wait to see it finished!

Travis Stinson
04-29-2006, 6:23 PM
Sweet Terry! That's a big Ash bowl for sure!:D

Corey Hallagan
04-29-2006, 6:28 PM
WOW, now that's a salad bowl, of course you know what Andy will say!! Nice job!

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
04-29-2006, 6:40 PM
Terry that's a Big Beautiful bowl. Congrats! Let us see it when it is finished please.

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2006, 7:14 PM
Now that is a bowl Terry. That ought to hold a bushel of salad. Can't wait to see it finished. Nice work.

Mark Cothren
04-29-2006, 7:21 PM
That's a whopper, Terry!!! Very nice!!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-29-2006, 8:08 PM
Good start, Terry. Sure is a BIGUN!

Bruce

Jim Dunn
04-29-2006, 8:43 PM
Must be a dinner bowl for a bunch of vegans':)

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2006, 9:27 PM
Good to see you post again Terry. Very big bowl....Salad bowl you say? That's about my size for a nice tossed salad!!:eek: :p :D
Tell Connie that some ol' Arky said hello!!! ;)

Ernie Nyvall
04-29-2006, 9:53 PM
That is huge Terry. Can't wait to see it finished.

Ernie

Dick Parr
04-29-2006, 9:56 PM
That's a biggy Terry, she should be happy with that one.

John Hart
04-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Pretty nice Terry. I wonder if you wouldn't mind posting the total deflection that you get after drying. I'd be very interested in how much it moves.

Rob Littleton
04-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Dude, you could GROW the salad in that bowl :-)........

That's a big bowl. Can't wait to the end result

Joe Tonich
04-30-2006, 5:22 AM
Man, Terry.....that's one big honkin salad bowl. :eek: :D :D

Your sister will love it! :D :D

Jim Davenport
04-30-2006, 7:24 AM
Wow, your shop must have been knee deep is curly chips roughing out that one. It would break my budget just for enough "DNA" to soak that humongus bowl.
I look forward to seeing it completed

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-30-2006, 7:59 AM
That is one super duper bowl, and I can see by the smile on your face you had fun doing it!

What did you soak it in, the bathtub? :D

Can't wait to see that one finished!

Cheers!

Terry Quiram
04-30-2006, 8:43 AM
Stu
You are right about the smile. I LOVE ROUGHING BOWLS!! I have a tub that I believe came from Mike Stafford and it has 15 gallons of alcolhol in it. It barely covered the bowl. I turned a couple more later that day and they fit inside the Ash.

Jim
I roughed it with a chain saw before I started. It took my son and myself to get it mounted. I hauled out 2+ 34 gallon trash cans of noodles.

John
If I remember 6 months from now I will be gald to post the bowl before I finish it.

Dennis
Hey Arky:D how you been? How is your bride and family? Mt better half says hi back.

Terry

John Miliunas
04-30-2006, 9:00 AM
Hey Terry, it's great seeing you at the Creek again!!! :D Now that is one monster bowl, my friend!!! Can't wait to see it all finished up. Just a word of warning, though: Do NOT let Andy near it or he'll take it and fill it full of ice-cream!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Terry Quiram
04-30-2006, 9:08 AM
Hi John

If Andy can eat all the ice cream it would take to fill this bowl in one sitting I would pay to see that. I haven't been back to your neck of the woods since the time I dropped in to see you. Company business trips are a two sided sword. I get to the point where I don't ever want to do it again and I miss visiting with the great people I have met in my travels. Hope to see you again in the future. If you ever get down my way be sure to drop in.

Terry

Randy Moore
04-30-2006, 9:37 AM
My sister has been after me to make her a large salad bowl. I finally found an Ash that would provide a suitable blank.

Terry

Nope, no rabbit food bowl on this end.:confused: It looks like it might hold a fair amount of some Home Made Ice Crean :eek: :) with fudge or chocolate on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Good job on the bowl, Terry

I am going to have to start looking for a lathe cause I am tired of looking at downed trees and not being able to do anything with the wood

Randy

Michael Stafford
04-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Man o man, I hate to think about how much salad you will be able to fit in that bowl. I would have lost my little dog in all those noodles.... That is something else, Terry.

Steve Clardy
04-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Thats a big honker for sure. Could use it for a tabogen? in the winter time.

Andy Hoyt
04-30-2006, 10:46 AM
.....If Andy can eat all the ice cream it would take to fill this bowl in one sitting I would pay to see that.....TerryI'd die trying.

But I'd die happy!

And rich - pony up.:D

Jim Dunn
04-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Andy could do it, couldn't you Andy?? I'd have to drive all the way to Mame or some other up north country just to watch. Tell me is it spring up there as yet?