PDA

View Full Version : Handles

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2006, 5:55 PM
Here are a couple of handles I made from some oak I had laying around. They are about 16" long and all done with only a skew chisel. Even parted it off like Alan Lacer shows in his video. Works pretty slick. Finished to 320 grit, with sanding sealer, friction polish and 2 coats of lacquer. Put a coat of wax on them. I made these as I ordered a couple of P & N bowl gouges with the traditional grind on them.

John Miliunas
04-29-2006, 6:21 PM
Well Bernie, aren't you just a "skewy" kinda' guy??? :D Nice job on the handles! Ain't it great when you can get the skew working for you, rather than against you??? :D :cool:

Corey Hallagan
04-29-2006, 6:24 PM
Nice work Bernie, those look good! That is incredible that you used only a skew on them. Have to post some pics when the gouges are assembled into them!

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
04-29-2006, 6:47 PM
Good job Bernie, bet you can't wait to use them on a bowl.

Pete Jordan
04-29-2006, 7:56 PM
Bernie,

They turned out great! What type of ferrals did you use?

Pete

Bob Noles
04-29-2006, 8:21 PM
Another awesome project that continues to display your talents Bernie. You have such a knack for turning.

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2006, 9:49 PM
Bernie,

They turned out great! What type of ferrals did you use?

Pete

Pete they are 3/4" copper couplers cut in half.

John M. I just finished watching (4 times) and learning from Alan Lacer's Skew Chisel. It is a pretty awesome video and learned a lot. Some new things and some I was doing wrong. I am also sold on honing with a diamond hone. I didn't have to use the grinder on the skew even after doing both handles. You can almost shave with the skew. I think my next major purchase will be Lacer's big 1 3/8" skew.

Thanks everyone. They really came out good. I only sanded with 220 and 320.

Richard Jones
04-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Bernie,

Good looking handles those.......

I, too, have "perused" Mr. Lacer's video about umpteen times, and the skew sure is getting good to me. Lots of practice with some #2 SPF stuff, and I love his quick method for doing beads. After a few hours of practice and you finally figure out to use the short point and not the middle third, beads are really easy.

I started to buy the big diamond hone like he uses today at Woodcraft, until I saw the price, woo hoo!!!!!!!! Credit card size for me will work fine, thank you!!

Again, good handles, I need to make a longer one for my 3/4 Sorby skew, hard to do the Lacer grip with a short handle, and I do like the control you get with the index finger like he does.

Rich

John Hart
04-29-2006, 10:24 PM
They look great Bernie. I was at HD last week looking at feral materials. I saw the couplers and really thought they'd work well. You just proved it. Thanks!!:)

Jim Ketron
04-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Nice Job Bernie!
Great looking handles!

Glenn Hodges
04-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Great looking handles, should outlast the new gouges.

Bernie Weishapl
04-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Thanks again. They are a little bit bigger around than the gouges I have. They seem to fit my big hands better.

Richard I got mine from Craft USA for I think $25.99. It was 2" X 6" and 1/4" thick. I didn't think that was to bad. Anyway works nice.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2006, 11:19 AM
NIce looking handles Bernie! I'm going to order Lacer's video.

Richard Jones
04-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Bernie,

Thanks for the steer, the "equal" one at Woodcraft was $61.99........yow!

Ken,

Don't know about the second Lacer video, but the first one is really good, beads are really easy for me now and by using the skew, not as much sanding on the spindle work.

Making those handles has inspired me to do the same for my everyday skew, thanks again.

Rich