PDA

View Full Version : Woodtek Planer---any experience?

Stan Mijal
04-29-2006, 1:41 PM
Want to get a 15" stationary planer. Since I work alone (recreational shop) and do not usually have someone at the other end to "catch" boards going through and must rely on roller stands to help, the fixed base/moveable cutterhead model planers are beginning to look like a good choice. Jet and Delta are definite contenders, then I notice Woodworkers Supply has a 15" "Woodtek" model for an unbelievable $600 delivered price. Never wanting to overspend, but also knowing some machinery is just not worth its cost, I wondered if anyone has any personal experience with Woodtek planers?

Stan

Jeff Horton
04-29-2006, 8:21 PM
I usually refrain from posting an answer when I have no experience and someone (you) asks for experience to answer.

But, this old saying came to mind when I read your post. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."

Stan Mijal
04-29-2006, 8:57 PM
Then again, with that color combination ( grass green and bumble bee yellow) maybee they HAVE to price them that low to get rid of them!:D

Burt Waddell
04-29-2006, 9:50 PM
Stan,

I believe you meant to saw Woodworkers Supply. Woodteck is their house brand. I have no experience with the Woodteck equipment but this is an excellent company. I've been dealing with them for 20 years or better.

Stan Mijal
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Burt,

You are correct, it is Woodworkers Supply. I have heard many comment very positively regarding this company in general, and thats why I simply didn't write this planer off. If the machinery is half as good as peoples experence with the company on other fronts, this could be a decent value.

Allen Bookout
04-29-2006, 11:10 PM
I do not have any Woodtek stuff but there was a thread not to long ago asking about Woodtek machines that had some good comments about that brand. You might try a search for it. It seems like that the comments were favorable. I am assuming that you do mean Woodtek and not Woodteck.

I found the thread that I was thinking about.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34687&highlight=mortiser

Dave Bonde
04-29-2006, 11:54 PM
I posted a reply to the woodtek question about the Woodtek equipment I own. I didn't say that I purchased a 15" Woodtek planer about nine years ago for work. Used it for a about 2 years with no problems before leaving for a different job. Dave

Stan Mijal
04-30-2006, 9:56 AM
"...I posted a reply to the woodtek question about the Woodtek equipment I own. I didn't say that I purchased a 15" Woodtek planer about nine years ago for work. Used it for a about 2 years with no problems before leaving for a different job. Dave.."

Dave,

Was your planer a model with the motor above or below the cuttters?

Any things in particular that you liked/disliked about that planer?

Dave Bonde
04-30-2006, 10:27 AM
It had the motor below the table - The planer worked well the only thing that I can remember that I disliked was it was pretty loud. Dave

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Here is a band saw review that has lots in customer service material.

http://diybanter.com/showthread.php?t=30192

Honestly: this review makes their equipment look pretty good for the price.

A little tweaking and the guy had a pretty decent BS. A couple of modifications and he might very have made it into a very good saw.

So many wood working tools are so very simple that all they need in order to be superb machines is balance weight, good bearings, good materials and some thought in the design of the interface aspects. .