PDA

View Full Version : ? for the satellite tv gurus

Rob Littleton
04-29-2006, 1:07 PM
So, here's the deal............

I have a dish 500 with quad LNB connections. I have 2 cables running to the dish right now feeding the living room and the kids room. I dont want to run another cable (the ones that are there now are pre wired with the house building). But, the living room tv is the other side of my bedroom wall. Here goes...........SWMBO wants a tv in the bedroom.

Is it possible to add a switch of some kind to the living room connection and be able to watch different channels on a third tv using the cable that feeds the living room tv.

If it is possible, what piece of magic do I need to do to make this happen.

If it aint possible, know any good cable installers? :-)

Thanks

John Miliunas
04-29-2006, 2:58 PM
Rob, you can certainly "T" off the cable in one room, go to another and then get yourself one of those radio frequency remotes (Not IR) to do your channel selecting. IIRC, you would not be able to use two different receivers on a single LNB connection so basically, the two rooms would be fed the same signal from the one receiver and, with that, you would only be able to get the same channel in both locations. In other words, I'm pretty sure that each receiver is specifically "tied" to each LNB. Short answer, no, I don't believe you can use the same down-link to go to two separate receivers. Sorry! (But then again, I could be all wrong!:o ) :) :cool:

Ken Garlock
04-29-2006, 4:40 PM
Rob, the short answer is NO, If I understand your question.

The Dish network receiver operates a electronic switch IN the LNB up at the dish.

On the back of the satellite controller, you have three types of outputs, normal RF to channel 3 or 4, S-video, and component output(2 video & sound). You can run the proper cable from the controller box through the wall and to your third TV. The RF option of your channel remote will work through the wall. Bad part is that you must watch the same channel in both rooms.

Another option that I just learned about is to get a NEW controller box that has picture in picture. These units have two tuners that work independently. I had to have a new LNB installed this past week, and the technician was telling me about that option.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-29-2006, 6:09 PM
GOOGLE "radio router for satellite tv"
Dunno if that's the ticket but it might be.

Thomas Prondzinski
04-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Rob
I have direct tv with two cables coming from the dish into a splitter that will split into 4,so I can have 4 tvs with 4 different channels. I have three tv's one with tivo that needs two lines.you need a control box for each tv. hope this helps.

Tom

Christopher Stahl
04-30-2006, 8:23 PM
You should run your satellite lines to where your cable lines all join in the basement or where ever. Then get a multiswitch that has the number of outputs that you need. Like a 2x6, 3x8 and so on. If you're not using dual tuners, this should be fairly simple.

In your post, you don't say if you have a coax connection to your bedroom.