PDA

View Full Version : Bowls #4 and #5

Lee DeRaud
04-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Walnut, 4-3/8"x1-1/2", found some interesting (and completely unexpected) figure when doing the inside:
Canary wood lamination, 4-5/8"x2":
Lessons learned:
1. Don't use the 'white diamond' buffing wheel on dark open-grained wood.
2. Don't drop a sharp-edged bowl on concrete while taking it outside to take pictures.:(

And I still don't know why it's called "canary wood".

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2006, 2:11 PM
Lee those are some mighty fine bowls. I like the fit and finish. Very nice job on them. I do like Canary wood.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2006, 2:35 PM
Nice bowls Lee! Now who's setting a terrible pace?:eek:

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-29-2006, 2:35 PM
Interesting Forms, Lee.

All in all..............Good lookin'

Bruce

Barry Stratton
04-29-2006, 3:22 PM
Looking REAL nice, Lee. Appreciate the "tips" as well.

Canarywood is a generic name for a variety of South American hardwoods used by huge flocks of canaries for nesting/roosting trees. After years of birds doing what they do, the wood takes on interesting shades of color, most likely due to the acid in the bird doo. Real old poplar shows similar characterisitics from the now extinct passenger pidgeon........:D

Glenn Hodges
04-29-2006, 4:42 PM
Beautiful bowls, thanks for letting us see them.

Lee DeRaud
04-29-2006, 5:16 PM
Canarywood is a generic name for a variety of South American hardwoods used by huge flocks of canaries for nesting/roosting trees. After years of birds doing what they do, the wood takes on interesting shades of color, most likely due to the acid in the bird doo. Real old poplar shows similar characterisitics from the now extinct passenger pidgeon........:DHuh, go figure. If you asked me what something called "canary wood" should look like, I would have pointed to the stack of yellowheart, two bins to the left.:p

Bought this piece "just because": in the flat, it looks like the paint guy from "American Chopper" has been using it to clean his pinstriping brushes.:cool:

"Hal Surawski"
04-29-2006, 6:09 PM
Those turned out nice. How long does it take to do something like that? I've only turned a few pens and bottle stoppers thusfar on my mini lathe. I'd like to venture into that realm one day and can use all the help I can get to get started.

Corey Hallagan
04-29-2006, 6:30 PM
Nice, I particularly like the Walnut! That figure is sweet! Nice job Lee!

Corey

John Miliunas
04-29-2006, 6:34 PM
Hey Lee, nice job on both of them! The bird poo.....errrrrr...The Canarywood bowl really is pretty slick! :D BUT, you maybe should add "Lesson 3" there: Probably not a good idea to drop a rounded edge bowl on the concrete while taking it outside to shoot pictures, either! :D :rolleyes:

Hal, welcome to the Creek! Stick around...Lots to learn but, be very, very weary of the "Thong Gang"!!! :D :cool:

Lee DeRaud
04-29-2006, 6:43 PM
Those turned out nice. How long does it take to do something like that?For these? I'm sure most of the people here can do it faster, but I'm taking about 2 hours or so each, spread over two days:

1. Blank preparation: 15-30 minutes. That assumes dried and surfaced lumber to start with, so it's just cut, laminate (if necessary), and glue on a chuck bung, all using CA glue.
2. Turn and sand: maybe an hour, plus the usual tool-sharpen and cleanup overhead. (These are small bowls.:p )
3. Wipe on a coat of GF SealACell: 5 minutes, but the stuff takes 6-8 hours to dry before the next step.
4. Buff and wax: 15-30 minutes.

Doing more than one at a time would speed things up a bit on average: there's a lot of "overhead" the way I work.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-29-2006, 6:43 PM
Very Very nice! Love the form and grains as well as color.

Lee DeRaud
04-29-2006, 6:48 PM
BUT, you maybe should add "Lesson 3" there: Probably not a good idea to drop a rounded edge bowl on the concrete while taking it outside to shoot pictures, either! :D :rolleyes: Hey, at least I managed to catch one of them, and I also didn't have to learn "Lesson 4":
It's not a good idea to drop your camera on concrete while taking it outside to shoot pictures.:eek:

Jim Becker
04-29-2006, 8:30 PM
Nice work! I really like the form of the walnut piece, too...very pleasing to me.

Ernie Nyvall
04-29-2006, 9:45 PM
Some nice bowls Lee. Yup, I was luck enough to catch that about the white diamond on Bill's video before I started.

Ernie

John Hart
04-30-2006, 8:07 AM
Very nice Lee. I like them both. That curl in the walnut really shows off! Is your signature hand-calligraphy or did you fire up the laser blaster?:)

Lee DeRaud
04-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Is your signature hand-calligraphy or did you fire up the laser blaster?:)Thanks, John. Yup, the laser does a nice job on that: the wax melts/burns into the letters for an instant color-fill effect.