PDA

View Full Version : Fixed base routers - please enlighten me!

Christian Aufreiter
04-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Hello folks,

Bosch is introducing a new router, the GMF 1400 CE (http://www.bosch-pt.de/boptocs-de/Product.jsp?division=gw&prod_id=9878&ccat_id=9523) in Germany (Austria hopefully too). This tool that looks very similar to the Bosch 1617EVSPK Router Package sold in the US is the first fixed base router available in my neck of the woods. So my question is, why would I (someone) want a fixed base router? At what applications would you choose a fixed base over a plunge router?
I understand that some people consider fixed base routers to be advantageous for router tables. But for hand-held work?

Please enlighten me!

Thanks in advance

Christian

Chris Rosenberger
04-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I use a fixed base routers more than plunge routers. I like the balance of the fixed base router better. Plunge routers feel top heavy to me. I have 2 fixed base routers that are setup just for dovetail jigs. The only time I use a plunge router is for plunge cuts & if I need to make several cuts to get to a final depth.

Chuck Saunders
04-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Gee, I don't know what the advantages are as I have never even used a plunge router. I thought it might be handy though. Fixed base has served me well.
Chuck

Brian Hale
04-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Lower center of gravity

Brian :)

Jim Becker
04-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Brian is correct...lower center of gravity and "simpler" setup for tasks that really don't require plunge capability. Examples being dovetail jig work, edge treatments, etc.

Steve Clardy
04-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Out of all the routers I have, only one is a plunger base. And seldom used. Just depends on what, how you use them.

Christian Aufreiter
05-06-2006, 8:08 AM
Hello guys,

thanks for your input.
If I may summarize your replies, a fixed base router is advantageous at some applications in the terms of ergonomics but probably not a must-have-tool.
Now if I had a plunge router and a fixed base router for edge work would I still want a laminate trimmer?
Of course, I’m aware of the fact that those are different tools but as I don’t own a dovetail jig a fixed base router would be mainly used for rounding over edges and such.

Regards,

Christian

pat warner
05-06-2006, 8:54 AM
A little more perspective on a big subject. (http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html)

Mark Singer
05-06-2006, 9:45 AM
I use both....plunge for mortising type joinery. The fixed base is better balanced and great for edge work.... roundovers, camfers, slot cutting.

Dave Falkenstein
05-06-2006, 9:55 AM
Hello guys,

thanks for your input.
If I may summarize your replies, a fixed base router is advantageous at some applications in the terms of ergonomics but probably not a must-have-tool.
Now if I had a plunge router and a fixed base router for edge work would I still want a laminate trimmer?
Of course, I’m aware of the fact that those are different tools but as I don’t own a dovetail jig a fixed base router would be mainly used for rounding over edges and such.

Regards,

Christian

Christian - Regarding your question about using a laminate trim router, I find myself reaching for my Porter Cable laminate trim router for most light duty jobs, such as roundovers, bevels and other similar edge trimming. The laminate trim routers are fixed base routers, so I don't see much distinction between the two in that regard. The smaller laminate trim router is simply easier to handle. Of course, I am limited to 1/4 inch bits using the laminate trim router, but for most edge trimming tasks that is not an issue.

tod evans
05-06-2006, 10:03 AM
christian, i seldom use a plunge router for much i find they`re top heavy and awkward. my preference is a "d" handled fixed based unit for most hand work. i also have a dedicated laminate trimmer thats sole purpose in life is to drive a 1/8" radius roundover bit. .02 tod

Mark Rios
05-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Isn't there a member here that owns about 30 bazillion routers? He might have an opinion. :D I'll bet he doesn't have to change bits very often....he just keeps different bits in each router and changes routers instead of changing bits.

Me.....I'm doing good if I can just FIND my router.

Allen Bookout
05-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Unlike Dave I almost never use my laminate trimmer. I would rather have the extra power of a router and also like the larger base.

Unless you work with very small pieces or need to work very close to a wall or something I see no need to invest in a laminate trimmer in addition to a router.

Allen

tod evans
05-06-2006, 10:19 AM
mark, i own 18- 691`s, 5- 7518`s, 4- 310`s and a 7538.......does that count? tod

Steve Clardy
05-06-2006, 12:20 PM
I'm not quite up with tod. Have 19 routers. All porter cable. 5 are table mounted, two more in the works. I like dedicated routers.

russell johansen
05-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I bought the DEWALT 618 PK which had both the plunge and fixed bases. I use the fixed base on my table, and just pop out the motor when I need a plunge which has been seldom. I'm a newbie, so I don't always know which is better but I find myself using the plunge less and less.

Dev Emch
05-06-2006, 12:51 PM
mark, i own 18- 691`s, 5- 7518`s, 4- 310`s and a 7538.......does that count? tod

Hey Tod, how many hearing aides do you own?:D

tod evans
05-06-2006, 2:37 PM
Hey Tod, how many hearing aides do you own?:D

just big speakers:)

Tom Andersen
05-07-2006, 7:30 AM
Strange enough, as the originator of the thread also pointed out, here in Europe there haven't been any fixed-base routers on the market up to now.:confused:

Brian Buckley
05-07-2006, 6:42 PM
I have found the new Bosch trim router with a Pat Warner base plate to be the perfect tool for roundovers and champfers. It is light and easy to use.

Jerry Olexa
05-07-2006, 8:07 PM
The only time I use a plunge router is when mortising where it works well. But I recently bought a mortising machine so my use of a plunge router in future will be limited...

JayStPeter
05-07-2006, 8:57 PM
I had hoped that the Festool OF1400 would be a replacement for my Bosch kit. But, I find it has the same stability issues as other plunge routers. The other issue I have had with plunge routers is fine depth adjustment, but the OF1400 does a good job of that (although they dorked that up with a terrible turret design).
I still prefer the Bosch fixed base most of the time because of the exceptional stability with comfortable handles down low where they should be. If the Bosch only had the tool-less connections for the edge guide and DC fittings ... Well, there's still no perfect all-around router. That explains why some of us have a collection. I only have 4 so far, but that Bosch Colt is calling my name.

Jay