PDA

View Full Version : Viper 1/4" Spiral Upcut Bit

Wayne Johnson
08-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Is it just me, or is the Viper 1/4" Spiral Upcut Bit a piece of junk? It is solid carbide, but after using it for only a few minutes, it is burnt. It also doesn't bore well at all. I'm using it to do some mortises in poplar. I've used a MLCS 1/4" Spiral Upcut Bit in this same wood using the same method and it worked great - up until I broke it, but that is a different story.

Anyhow, just venting. I guess I'm off to the MLCS website to buy yet another 1/4" spiral upcut bit.

Wayne

Duane M Swensen
08-27-2003, 8:47 PM
Is it just me, or is the Viper 1/4" Spiral Upcut Bit a piece of junk? It is solid carbide, but after using it for only a few minutes, it is burnt. It also doesn't bore well at all. I'm using it to do some mortises in poplar. I've used a MLCS 1/4" Spiral Upcut Bit in this same wood using the same method and it worked great - up until I broke it, but that is a different story.

Anyhow, just venting. I guess I'm off to the MLCS website to buy yet another 1/4" spiral upcut bit.

Wayne
I have found whiteside 1/4 spiral upcut bits to be exceptional bits. I use them in pattern cutting 3/4 oak and they just keep on going. I tried Freud spiral bits and broke 3 of them in 6 inches.I take only 1/4 inch at a pass and have yet had any problems with the whiteside bits.

Dar Lounsbury
08-27-2003, 8:58 PM
I, too, use the Whiteside upcut sprial bits with outstanding results. Have also used Amana bits with good performance but the Whiteside are by far the best, IMHO.

Ron McNeil
08-28-2003, 8:45 PM
Wayne,

I only use Whiteside bits and I just received my Woodcraft monthly sales flier and it has the Witeside Bit of the month offering 25% off the Upcut spiral Cutter 1/4 cutting Dia. 2 1/2" overall length with 1" cutting length. reg. $21.99 for $15.99. If you have a woodcraft near you you might want to try the Whiteside I do not believe you will be disappointed.

Keith Outten
09-01-2003, 8:09 PM
Try using a 2 flute end mill, they are cheaper, sharper and last much longer than router bits for pattern routing. I've been using them for almost twenty years.

My mind is made up...don't try and confuse me with the facts :)

David LaRue
09-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Try using a 2 flute end mill, they are cheaper, sharper and last much longer than router bits for pattern routing. I've been using them for almost twenty years.

My mind is made up...don't try and confuse me with the facts :)

Keith,
What brand do you use? And what other operations can you do with the 2 flute end mills?

Dave

David Rose
09-02-2003, 12:30 AM
I agree with Keith. I have more than one of 1/4", 5/16" (with adapter), 3/8", and 1/2". They will break, but you usually know you are doing something wrong if you break one. I use them for mortises and tenons with the FMT jig. Also, on the horizontal router table before the jig. And about any job where upcut is acceptable. I've had good results with dados and grooves in walnut and maple. So far, the teeny bit of tearout has been slight enough to sand out with normal project sanding. That is probably *not* an appropriate use.

Btw, I look for extra long cheapies from Wholesale Tool, MSC, and other tool places. Once in a while one will have some runout, but that one can be scrapped for the savings.

David

Wayne Johnson
09-02-2003, 10:06 AM
I've looked at a couple of pictures and I can't tell the difference between a 2 flute end mill and a spiral upcut bit. What gives? And, can you post a link to a source on the web for the 2 flute end mill that you would buy?

Wayne

David Rose
09-02-2003, 3:54 PM
Wayne, there probably are some differences maybe in pitch of the fluting or relief angles or something like that. I have not compared them side by side, but handling them individually I don't see differences. Mainly though, I have not found a difference in cut.

Here is a link to some mills I use from WT. They aren't on sale right now, so may not be the best prices.

Aw! The software wouldn't let me drag and drop. Here is the whole addy:

http://wttool.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1005-0035&Category_Code=10050005p1

David

I've looked at a couple of pictures and I can't tell the difference between a 2 flute end mill and a spiral upcut bit. What gives? And, can you post a link to a source on the web for the 2 flute end mill that you would buy?

Wayne

Keith Outten
09-02-2003, 5:49 PM
I normally purchase end mills from a local company. Since every town has at least one machine shop you will find a local company that provides support for machining supplies. I've found that end mills last so long that I really don't buy them often. I think I have one 1/2" diameter 2 flute end mill that I must have routed a thousand 6" holes in 3/4" birch plywood for a cabinet job I did for York County Schools.

I have in the past ordered end mills from Grizzly and a couple other companies I keep metal working catalogs for in the shop. Normally I don't concern myself with quality, just by the least expensive end mills since they last a long time for woodworking. I've never broken a 1/2" HSS end mill routing wood.

If you can get an Enco or other catalog you will find that there are hundreds of profiles and types of end mills. I only buy router bits when I have to have a conventional edge treatment for a project. I've also been known to use a 4 flute end mill in my drill press, milling wood recesses and special cuts for odd projects/joints. Just make sure you order 1/2" or 1/4" shanks to fit your router.