PDA

View Full Version : barrel hinges

Larry Harman
04-29-2006, 9:42 AM
I've never installed a barrel hinge before-the kind where a hole is drilled and the hinge is dropped into it and a small set screw is tightened to keep it in place.

There were no instructions and the Woodcraft clerk didn't know the answer. Is there an offset or dimension to worry about, or do you just place the two pieces together, set the hinge on near the edge and drill? (I'll practice first)

This is for the lid to a box approx 8" by 11"

thanks.

Larry

Charles Wade
04-29-2006, 10:31 AM
The last ones I installed (Soss-no personal affiliation) had dimensional inffo on the package. It is especially important to get the correct hole diameter-I had to get a special bit. Good luck.

Lee DeRaud
04-29-2006, 10:57 AM
www.soss.com (http://www.soss.com) has CAD drawings and installation instructions for all of theirs. If it's an off-brand one, see if Rockler also sells it: their website usually has a downloadable PDF of the instruction sheet.

Larry Harman
04-30-2006, 1:08 PM
They are Soss hinges. They came without an instruction sheet, but the web site you gave me had a the CAD drawing instruction page. Much Thanks. Larry

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-30-2006, 4:29 PM
frim the web sitte SOSS.COM
Easily Installed

Secure mounting in the wooden door or panel is assured by tightening the tensioning screw. To accommodate high loadings, the cylinders can be additionally secured by installing a chipboard or wood screw in the groove on the exposed end. <center>http://www.soss.com/images/catalog/feature9.jpg</center>

Lopaka Garcia
05-01-2006, 5:50 AM
Before you glue on your lid, mark to where you want the lid to be cut off. Then according to the thickness of the box, line up hinge with the back edge so when hinge is opened, there is enough room for the lid to flip open. Make your mark on box, without lid, and using a drill press, drill as many holes as needed for hinges. Drill down into what will be your lid, past the lid cut-off mark just far enough for the hinge to be counter sunk. Now glue the lid on. After glue is dried, cut lid off of box. You will now have perfectly lined up holes for the barrel hinges and all you have to do is insert and tighten down. Basically you're cutting the hole in half and by doing that, get perfectly lined up holes for the hinges. If you drill two separate holes in two separate pieces of wood, there is always the chance one hole will be misaligned from the other. That won't happen with this technique.