PDA

View Full Version : Tapered legs

Tom Spallone
04-29-2006, 7:24 AM
Looking for an easy way to produce perfectly tapered legs on all four sides.

Steve Schoene
04-29-2006, 7:36 AM
A hand plane will work nicely, though I suspect you are looking for a good tablesaw tapering jib. I usually work out an ad hoc solution so don't have a really good one to share.

But, be sure to mock this up, since table legs tapered on all sides can make them look splayed even when the axis is perfectly vertical. No right or wrong here, just be aware of the effect.

Doug Shepard
04-29-2006, 7:54 AM
If you save the cutoff wedges and re-apply them with double-stick carpet tape or a couple spots of hot-melt glue, you can use the same jig or fence settings on all 4 sides. Just make sure to put the leg and wedge up against something really flat when you re-apply so they line up in the same plane as the leg. I'm assuming the top of the leg is still square (?) so there's a flat area that needs to be co-planar with the re-applied wedge.

Jay Knepper
04-29-2006, 10:53 AM
The jointer works well for tapering legs.

Just clamp a stop so that you can drop the workpiece on the spinning blades at the point you want your taper to start, then run them through. Use moderately deep cut and make as many passes as needed on each side that you wish to taper. You will need to clean up the top of the tapers with a hand plane and/or sandpaper.