PDA

View Full Version : some rough out pics and need some help!

Jim Ketron
04-29-2006, 12:12 AM
This is a rough out of a Hard Maple natural edge winged bowl that is now drying. I have made a Video of how I do them with clips that I made Into a movie with this Bowl. I hope to have 2 parts roughing part 1 and finish turning part 2, if it makes it to a finished piece.

Now for the Help!
I'm trying to find a free site to host this, part one is a large file 183 MB and is almost 30 min long. I don't know if it would be best to bust it up into diff little clips for ease of loading or trying to find a site that can host it and keep it in one piece without it taking forever to load it up to see it. Part 2 will be coming soon as it dries so i can turn it! you can see the first little clip on my web site(look in my profile to get there) to get an idea of how it will be. this is in no way a professional video just something to show how I do them with a few tips.
So if anyone can help to get this up and running please do!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/100_2082.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/100_2083.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/100_2084.jpg

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2006, 12:25 AM
183GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see, you'll need a nice sized server with at least two 5 disk RAID-5 sets with a backplain speed of at least 1GB per second. A HP GS1280 should do the trick. :eek:

Very nice NE there Jim.!!!!! I sure hope you find the web space so I can watch the whole video. :rolleyes: :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Hey Jim that is another nice bowl. I hope he does to or makes a CD with both parts on it. Can't wait to see the bowl finished Jim.

Michael Stafford
04-29-2006, 6:27 AM
Wow, Jim. I sure would like to see the video just to see this thing spinning around and watch the curls a flying. Besides that, it is gonna be spectacular!

doug webb
04-29-2006, 7:42 AM
Jim, after looking at all of your work in the past I just had to find out WHAT kind of help you needed. Hope you find what you are looking for. Looking forward to seeing that one finished, even if only in still shots. Good luck

Christopher K. Hartley
04-29-2006, 7:56 AM
Jim, I've been doing this kind of work for some years now in my job. I have never yet found a free site that will handle large movies especially one your size. I would suggest your breaking it down and possibly even making flash movies from the clips. Can you tell me how extensive your computer knowledge is and what type of software you use on your machine?

I looked at your movie. You are running 640 X 480 pixels. The screen size on your site is close to 320 x 240, but the actual movie is saved in the 640 X 480 format. This would normally be considered large for training movie use on the web. It is the biggest factor contributing to the overall MB size. I would recommend you size at 320 x 240. It will reduce overall size and load issues. I have a friend who has a site he uses for fairly large movies and he says it is pretty inexpensive. I'll try to get the info on it for you.

Jeff Horton
04-29-2006, 8:04 AM
you mean MB didn't you??

Christopher K. Hartley
04-29-2006, 8:35 AM
you mean MB didn't you??

Jeff you are right...I hope! I just changed mine. Thanks

Jim Ketron
04-29-2006, 9:05 AM
Thanks Guys!
Christopher I'm in no way a computer guy! I just learn as I go thanks for the tip on saving some MB and Thanks Jeff for pointing out the GB to MB :o I fixed it :D
I will redo the Movie for the smaller size screen and see how much that will cut down on the MB.

Tyler Howell
04-29-2006, 9:12 AM
Jim You need to Make your own DVD.
#1 Seller!!!!!:cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
04-29-2006, 9:28 AM
Thanks Guys!
Christopher I'm in no way a computer guy! I just learn as I go thanks for the tip on saving some MB and Thanks Jeff for pointing out the GB to MB :o I fixed it :D
I will redo the Movie for the smaller size screen and see how much that will cut down on the MB.

Just had another thought, have you tried saving the file in a .wmv format instead of quicktime? I'd like to see the difference in size with that compression.

Jim Ketron
04-29-2006, 9:47 AM
Christopher Windows Movie Maker does not support .wmv:(
The Clips started out as mov and had to change it to avi to get it to work on Movie Maker. I'm working on downsizing the resolution to see how much that will reduce the size of the file now.
Thanks or your help! Hope to get this up and running soon any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

Bob Noles
04-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Jim,

I'm sorry, but cannot be of any help as I am computer stupid and in some ways glad of it :)

I did want to say that I hope you can get it going somehow as I found the preview clip on your web site and it looks like a great beginning. I would love to see the rest as having seen many of your works posted here, I find you to be a very talented turner and feel I can learn much from what you are so kind in trying to share with us.

If all else fails, maybe you can dup this to CD's or DVD and make them available to us for a price plus postage. I would like to be one of the first in line if you go that route.

Thanks for what you are trying to do.

Keith Christopher
04-29-2006, 10:59 AM
For maximum compression I would use something that saves to mpg format. This will give you the best compressions and image and sound quality.

Christopher K. Hartley
04-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Christopher Windows Movie Maker does not support .wmv:(
The Clips started out as mov and had to change it to avi to get it to work on Movie Maker. I'm working on downsizing the resolution to see how much that will reduce the size of the file now.
Thanks or your help! Hope to get this up and running soon any help or suggestions will be appreciated!

Jim, "Windows Movie Maker" is a bit strange in that it does support WMV but it doesn't list the extension, so you have to import using "all files" in the drop-down. it will then convert to WMV. However you want to convert from AVI so as not to double compress. If you do that your quality will be poor. I would suggest saving with the setting:
Video for broadband (512kbps) the output will be WMV.

Jim Becker
04-29-2006, 11:46 AM
You need to convert the video to a different format that "improves" its file size for web use. I personally like Flash format 'cause it will run on just about any browser (with a simple plug-in) and without using Windows Media Player or other "fat" client. The quality remains quite good with compression, too. Keith's suggestion for MPG can be good as long as you can do the newer formats...MPG4 is nice and designed for max compression without whacking quality too much. The pixel size of the finished video will also make a big difference.

One thing you need to know...if you are going to host any video on your own site, be aware of what your bandwidth limits are and how it will be handled if you exceed it. Sometimes, complete access to your site will get cut off...and doesn't come back until the next "contractual month" starts. Not fun. Or, as my hosting is set up, it will still serve the files, but will charge a la carte for the additional bandwidth...when I put our Christmas video online a few months ago, the first month resulted in an extra $28 of charges for excess bandwidth. (I have my sites set to handle things that way...I don't want them cut off and am willing to pay for the extra bandwidth when necessary)

Andy Hoyt
04-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Jim - I have a ton of unused bandwidth on my website. Once you get things worked out I'd be happy to post it for you on a dedicated page.

Jim Ketron
04-29-2006, 5:44 PM
Jim - I have a ton of unused bandwidth on my website. Once you get things worked out I'd be happy to post it for you on a dedicated page.

Thanks Andy!
soon as I can get the file down to a good size might just take you up on that offer;) Check your PM

Ernie Nyvall
04-29-2006, 9:17 PM
I knew there was a catch to you needing help. Course I couldn't help you with this question either. Great looking bowl. Some nice grain in it.

Ernie

John Hart
04-30-2006, 8:03 AM
Jim, even if you find someone to host your movie, I'd like to try and put it up on my do-it-myself.com site as well. It would fit in well to what the site is all about.