PDA

View Full Version : Is the SN2 overkill for a Jet Mini-lathe?

robert cohen
04-28-2006, 10:11 PM
I am still tryingg to decide on a chuck. The SN@ is wha i would like but I am concerned it may be overkill for the mini-lathe.

I may be getting the Talon. Any thoughts?

Mark Cothren
04-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I have the SN2 - love it. Don't think you'd be disappointed in it. My limited experience - and listening to others - says to buy the best you can afford. That way if/when you upgrade lathes, the chuck will move right on up.

Dick Parr
04-28-2006, 10:48 PM
I agree with Mark, it does a nice job and can be moved to a bigger lathe when you are ready instead of having to go out and get another one. I have one SuperNova and 2 SuperNova II's

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Go for it. I have the Talon on my Delta midi and it is fine.

Jim Ketron
04-28-2006, 10:53 PM
I have 2 Talons, the original was for the Jet Mini when I moved up to the PM3520 I just got an adapter to use it on the PM, I now have 2 so I dont have to change the jaws as much!
It has done everything I have thrown at it, but the SN2 is a good choice so is the new Nova G3 I think you would be happy with any of them!

Joe Fisher
04-29-2006, 8:35 AM
I think the SN2 isn't much bigger than the Talon, if at all.

I've used the SN2 on my ShopSmith, and my big General, and I'll be using it on the Jet Mini I just purchased.

You can't go wrong with either, though. It'll really boil down to which one's key you like better :) The SN2 has the dovetail jaws from the factory, but you can easily use them on a tenon, just like with the Talon's stock jaws. I've turned dozens of bowls (up to about 15" so far) with my SN2's stock 50mm jaws, and never once used a recess. The only time I lost one was when I turned the tenon in a bad part of the wood, which was my fault, not the chuck's.

-Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
04-29-2006, 8:37 AM
I've got a SN2 on my Jet Mini.........Works great!

John Shuk
04-29-2006, 7:47 PM
Sn is a nice chuck. It is a great value as far as I'm concerned.

Jim Becker
04-29-2006, 8:31 PM
A good quality chuck is an investment that will live beyond your Mini as well as make your turning on that Mini enjoyable. Buy the best up front and you will not have the "replacement cost" later. I happen to like the OneWay chucks the best, but the SuperNova is a very nice item.