PDA

View Full Version : Submitted for your amusement...

Joe Fisher
04-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Slight miscalculation...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/nostalgia75/Turning/holey_bowley1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/nostalgia75/Turning/holey_bowley2.jpg

Darn :) It had such potential, too.

-Joe

Dick Parr
04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure Joe, but I think you are to late for the funnel contest:eek:

Sorry to see that Joe, Join the crowd.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey Joe join the crowd. I have did that a couple of times and have also did it on a couple of boxes. :mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I did that with a goblet recently.........My little funnel was much cuter than Hulk of a funnel:eek: :D We all do it!

Pat Salter
04-28-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't know why everyone keeps saying "funnel", that looks more like a lamp shade to me. And nice looking one at that :rolleyes:

Reed Gray
04-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Since I core everything I can, I needed to devise a method for finding the bottom of the bowl (if I don't go through it with the McNaughton first). I measure the distance from the headstock to the jaws of my chuck. I cut a piece of wood to that exact measure,which on my lathe, PM3520, with vicmark chucks is 4 3/8 inches. I keep this cheater stick and a tape in the pockets of my smock. To tell how close I am, I measure from the headstock to the edge of the bowl, say 10 inches. Then I put the cheater stick on the tape at 10 inches, and the other end will read 5 5/8 inches. So the measure to my jaws (lampshade depth) is 5 5/8 inches. If I want a wall thickness of 1/2 inch, then when I stick the tape into the center of the bowl, it should read 5 1/8 inches when you sight across the top edge of the bowl. You can do this while the lathe is running, but don't let the tape contact the edge of the bowl while you are measuring from the headstock out. Can you say spagetti? You can use this same method on natural edge bowls by using a square, on the bed of the lathe for the outside edge measure, or make a nifty guage that slips into the ways like Bill did. Sometimes I use this measure to determine that I have gone a bit too deep, and the walls have to be 1/8 inch rather than 1/2 inch
robo hippy

Dennis Peacock
04-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Joe,

Many folks have used a lot of different things to measure where the bottom of the bowl really is. Bill Grumbine provides <a href="http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/bowlgauge.html">this little gizmo</a> on his personal web site that has helped me tremendously. It's simple to use and very accurate. Best of all? Make ya one and you will save your bowls from becoming funnels and lamp shades. I know, I've made several of them over the past few years.

Rich Stewart
04-29-2006, 1:04 AM
Oh man!! Thats too bad. Great looking bowl too. I have done a couple of them and on several I was able to glue another block of wood on the bottom and re-turn it and sometimes it looked like that was what i was after in the first place. Clean it up and glue something on it. Too nice of a bowl not to save it.

Joe Fisher
04-29-2006, 8:27 AM
Thanks for all the commisseration, gang ;) I do have a Grumbine-esque depth gauge, and I knew the bottom was going to be thin. When I reverse turned it to turn away the tenon, I was taking wispy-thin shavings with a razor sharp spindle gouge, in an effort to not go thru. I punched through just as the bottom got cleaned up.

Yes, I'm going to try laminating a block of walnut to the bottom. Just got to get my donut chuck built, first :D

-Joe

David Fried
04-29-2006, 8:33 AM
I believe the technical term is Negative Wall Thickness - definitely something to avoid!:eek:

I'm working on a Grumbine style depth gauge at the moment.
Bet you can guess why!

We all ooops sometimes. Some of us more often than others :rolleyes:

Joe Fisher
04-29-2006, 8:40 AM
I believe the technical term is Negative Wall Thickness - definitely something to avoid!:eek:
We all ooops sometimes. Some of us more often than others :rolleyes:
hahaha I like that term ;)

I remember when I first started browsing the forums, being awed and amazed by all of the beautiful turnings being posted, and sometimes frustrated when I couldn't make my work look like that. That's why I like to share my mistakes as well as my successes; reminds us that we're all human, and gives us all a much-needed laugh. "HA! I've done that, too!"

-Joe

Bob Noles
04-29-2006, 9:17 AM
Joe,

Nice bowl, but I think you need to work a little more on the sides to bring it in proportion more with the bottom :D :eek:

George Conklin
04-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh yeah. Seen that before. Many times in my shop:rolleyes: .

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-29-2006, 2:46 PM
Ok Joe...................... Now's the time for creativity.

Stick that sucker into a ring chuck .........................Perfect the opening and flatten the bottom...............Turn a tennon on a piece of contrasting wood that fits tha hole perfectly................ Glue the tennon in and turn a foot on the bowl.

Now you have a Special piece worth a bunch instead of just a bowl with a hole in the bottom. You're making ambrosia................. not lemonade.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
04-29-2006, 9:10 PM
I don't know, but I think it takes great skill to get the inside of a bowl larger than the outside.:p
It still has potential though. You can still fix it with maybe a walnut foot and an inlay in the center.

Ernie

Joe Fisher
04-30-2006, 9:58 AM
I don't know, but I think it takes great skill to get the inside of a bowl larger than the outside.:p
It still has potential though. You can still fix it with maybe a walnut foot and an inlay in the center.

I'm gonna do exactly that. I've got some walnut sitting around, ready to go.

And I'll call it (sit down for this one) "Ash Hole."

:D

-Joe

Jim Dunn
04-30-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm gonna do exactly that. I've got some walnut sitting around, ready to go.

And I'll call it (sit down for this one) "Ash Hole."

:D

-Joe

ROTFLMAS Joe. Don't you dare though you might violate the TOS:eek: