PDA

View Full Version : (new) old iron in the shop again

Jeff Horton
04-28-2006, 9:53 PM
Still working on the the base of the DeWalt RAS. I have it all stripped and primed.

I took a break from this project Wednesday to make a road trip to TN and picked up a jointer I bought. I have been looking for one for a while now. I really wanted an 8" but they are just so hard to find! Ran across this one and decided I better buy it. 6" Brodhead Garret. Neat feature is the fence will skew for making shear cuts.

The best part? I don't have to restore this one! It's ready to use as is. But I do think the guard needs a coat of paint. :)

John Bailey
04-29-2006, 7:30 AM
Way to go Jeff. Got any other information, like age?

John

Brett Baldwin
04-29-2006, 5:57 PM
That skew feature is pretty cool. Have you checked to see how well it keeps square when you turn it? I imagine that would be an even better feature on a really large jointer like a 16" or 20" where you're work would have support for a much longer length. I am unfamiliar with the brand but it looks to have lots of nice solid features. Looks like you have a nice addition to your shop there.

Corey Hallagan
04-29-2006, 6:36 PM
Great looking jointer Jeff!

Corey

Jeff Horton
04-29-2006, 8:12 PM
John, I have not even looked for a serial number on this one. But judging by the style I would think it was a later model. 1960's possible early 70's. It has a Furnas brand starter on it so that makes me think latter model. Of course I am guessing but it doesn't appear to be really old.

Brett. No I haven't. Have not even plugged it in since I got in the shop. I tested it before I picked it up and that is it. I brought it home and while the fence was off I lubed it to get it to tilt and move. Obviously previous owner only used it for 90 degree cuts. Will probably give it good going over this week and run some wood through it.

Brodhead Garret made the machine and J-Line marketed under their name. They went after the school shop market. If you can find out the history almost all the J-Line tools out there came from schools. They are an old line tool maker and out of this business now.