PDA

View Full Version : Bad Words Were Said!

Pete Jordan
04-28-2006, 6:55 PM
I had just finished showing my wife how the Jumbo Jaws work on the bottom of my second bowl when the Stronghold chuck came loose and the bowl walked away.

Almost dimensions
12 by 4

It kinda looks like its laughin at me.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2006, 6:57 PM
Wow! Glad nobody was hit!

Andy Hoyt
04-28-2006, 6:58 PM
Yup. That's what happens when you try to use a superior mayo product on an inferior mustard one.:D

So what let loose? The little rubber feet thingies, or the chuck itself?

Pete Jordan
04-28-2006, 7:01 PM
Yup. That's what happens when you try to use a superior mayo product on an inferior mustard one.:D

So what let loose? The little rubber feet thingies, or the chuck itself?

The chuck itself!

I think you ought to dump that little Oneway and trade up to the Laguana if you want real white!:D

Andy Hoyt
04-28-2006, 7:09 PM
Hah! That thing is only available in a 2 HP configuration. Uses up all that oompfh just running the hydraulics.

Keith Burns
04-28-2006, 7:15 PM
Pete, thats what happens when you try to show off to the wife, never fails. They are always a jinx :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2006, 7:49 PM
Yep show the wife and it happens every time Pete.

Don Orr
04-28-2006, 8:13 PM
Wow, too bad, it's real nice looking wood and a great shape. It's not laughing AT you, it's laughing WITH you:eek: :D . Wives aren't really jinxes, just distractions;) .
Your first bowl was outstanding by the way. Keep practicing and be safe!

Ed Scolforo
04-28-2006, 8:15 PM
Hey, I also made a bowl just like that! You're right, I think the wood is laughing at you :D
Ed

George Troy Hurlburt
04-28-2006, 8:16 PM
I have had chucks come loose in the past. They must be tight against the flange, you can do this with the spindle lock. You can use the hole in the collar of the jaws to tighten down. I think there is a lock screw that will lock down on the spindle. If you use it don't forget to unscrew before removal, otherwise you will scar the threads. Button jaw use should be backed up with the tailstock. GT

Corey Hallagan
04-28-2006, 9:57 PM
Yikes! Pete that is a shame it came apart on yah. Better luck next time!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-29-2006, 4:02 PM
Well, Pete. I thought I had seen MOST of the types of OOPS.

Saving that one might mean making some more open space first, to make it look more natural, then, filling the void with something contrasting along with epoxy. I would be interested in seeing what you can come up with.

The thing to remember is that it was and can be another learning experience. I was once told by a teacher that if you don't make mistakes, you don't know how to correct them.

Keep the faith.

Bruce

Glenn Hodges
04-29-2006, 4:33 PM
You are falling into my mode of operrandi. I only make mistakes when others are watching.

Steve Clardy
04-29-2006, 6:48 PM
Bummer. And that was a good looking bowl

John Miliunas
04-29-2006, 7:49 PM
Oh yeah, I feel for 'ya, Pete! Can't say I've had a chuck let loose on me before but, it seems that far too often, I'm about 95% of the way through to completion when disaster strikes. :mad: In my case, I typically can't blame it on the LOML, either, 'cuz she knows enough not to be anywhere near me when I'm turning! :eek: Projectiles from the spinny thing are a common occurrence!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :o Aw heck, chuck up another piece and get back on it! :) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
04-29-2006, 9:34 PM
I think the bowl did it on purpose. The hole looks like a smile with the tongue sticking out.:eek:

Ernie