PDA

View Full Version : My wwing season just got a whole lot shorter

scott spencer
04-28-2006, 6:51 PM
This is a tad off topic, but very pertinent to my upcoming wwing season. Since I live in the northeast and my shop is an unheated garage, my "comfortable" season is relatively short, and I've just started to poke around out there regularly in the past few weeks.

My shoulder's been bothing me since last summer when I roofed my house. I had a cortisone shot soon after and it helped for a few weeks. After months of procrastination thinking it would get better, I finally had an MRI done and was told I need surgery...sooner rather than later. The ligament is only about 20% attached, there's a large bone spur jabbing into the works, and some significant arthritis shows up....no wonder it hurt. :rolleyes: In about 7 minutes that doctor severely changed the outlook on my whole summer. He said he's seen worse, but not many. This was from a doctor who's known for perferring to avoid surgery. It'll be a 2-3 month recovery and June is the soonest he can get me in. I realize the good news is that I WILL recover and start getting some use out of my dominent arm again someday, but it's darn hard to see the silver lining at the moment. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement...I wait all winter long for this.

Just needed to vent a little... :(

Nick Englesby
04-28-2006, 7:08 PM
2-3 month recovery, I'm not so sure. I blew my knee apart playing football and I was walking on it the next day. Of course I was a kid then.

You may not be 100% for a couple months but you will be able to work a little. A good rule is that if you think that you should probably not do what you are about to do-------------don't do it.

I will hope you have a miraculous recovery!

frank shic
04-28-2006, 7:19 PM
scott, did your doctor attempt a cortisone injection? it might save you from a surgery.

Tom Pritchard
04-28-2006, 7:27 PM
Hang in there buddy, this too will pass! By the time you're healed, you will know how to use a mouse, zip up your fly and button your pants, make and drink coffee, as well as becoming an expert at pointing at things for people to get for you all with your left hand!!!!:D Now you can come over to my shop this summer and supervise, and I won't feel guilty about taking you away from your work!!

Plus there's always ice cream....;) .

scott spencer
04-28-2006, 7:31 PM
scott, did your doctor attempt a cortisone injection? it might save you from a surgery. Hi Frank, yes...his assistant did the cortisone in August about a month after I injured it and it felt better for about a month. Then it got worse and worse and worse. The MRI showed alot of things the X-ray didn't.

Thanks Tom...I'm already throwing a baseball and playing tennis left handed. Never tried ice cream left handed though ...maybe you'll have to show me that trick!

I was fully expecting the need for surgery based on the loss of use over the past several months, but I hadn't anticipated the severity of the injury or the length of the recovery time. I should count my blessings...there are lots of people who wish that's all it took to ruin their day...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Doug Shepard
04-28-2006, 8:02 PM
One possible silver lining: In 3 mos. you could get pretty darn proficient at using that free SketchUp. That shouldn't be too hard to do one-handed. At least it's WW related.

Keith Starosta
04-28-2006, 8:08 PM
Scott, I feel for you. I had rotator cuff surgery on January 10. I had a full-thickness tear of the right cuff, the labrim(sp?) was almost completely torn, and I was in a lot of pain. I was under for almost five hours, and after four pins, that was that. I was in a sling for about two weeks, but started physical therapy almost immediately. That's the key....be as diligent as you can about your PT. It's really helping speed things along. I've got almost all of my mobility back, but it's still pretty weak. My neighbor had the exact same procedure, and it took him almost a full year to regain all of the strength.

I hope things work out for you....quickly!!

- Keith

Mark Pruitt
04-28-2006, 8:31 PM
Hang in there Scott. I know that as you said the silver lining is hard to see, but expect the long term benefits to outweigh the inconvenience of losing 2-3 months.

Sam Velleca
04-28-2006, 9:12 PM
Scott I injured my shoulder, dislocated arm and broke it right at the socket on FEB. 15....Bone healed well but not responding too well otherwise and hurt it again Sunday.
Going for an MRI next thurs. know exactly how you feel.

Vaughn McMillan
04-28-2006, 9:21 PM
Sorry to see the bad news Scott, and wishing you a quick recovery. Ditto what Keith says about physical therapy. Since you'll be partly out of commission during WW season, I'll work extra hours in my shop to make up for your lack of output. Gotcha covered. :)

- Vaughn

scott spencer
04-28-2006, 9:36 PM
Sorry to see the bad news Scott, and wishing you a quick recovery. Ditto what Keith says about physical therapy. Since you'll be partly out of commission during WW season, I'll work extra hours in my shop to make up for your lack of output. Gotcha covered. :)

- Vaughn

I knew I could count on you guys!

Jack Ferrell
04-28-2006, 9:53 PM
Scott, Sad to hear about your injury. Just remember all things are only temporary and in the long run you'll be better. A coworker had the same thing done and is doing great. The PT regime is paramount to a quicker and more full recovery. Good luck

Ray Bersch
04-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Scott,
This time last year I was ready to kick butt with my new (used) woodworking tools - I spent the Memorial Day weekend at my lake house in Maine and picked up a Delta planer on the way home - I also "acquired" a rather sever case of shingles over that weekend and did not see a doctor for over a week - needless to say, the summer was gone - it was the worst pain I ever hope to experience and it lasted until the end of August - I started some cabinets in September but simply could not get up the strength to finish before the winter closed down my garage shop - all that is behind me now (except for some lingering pain that will probably never go away) and I have reopened the shop, much to my delight. The lesson learned? See a doctor sooner rather than later. Both you and I would have been far better off had we heeded that advice - then let the thing heel and get back in the shop - life is too short. Good luck.
Ray

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Scott.........It will be an inconvenience but you'll recover and be better than you are now! I broke my back 6 years ago last April 6th. I'm 8mm shorter than I used to be. I can't do everything I used to do at the same level...........but I can work and play. I layed on my back for 10 weeks praying I'd be able to get up, walk and work again..........Hang in there....We'll be thinking about you!

Todd Davidson
04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey Scott~

Sorry to read of your plight. Bet you'll come up with some great project plans. At least learn Sketchup so you can toutor us not so literate folks :) . Keep us posted. And don't forget pictures for Tyler - or else it never happened :eek: .

In peace, Todd

Allen Bookout
04-29-2006, 12:19 AM
I guess that every situation is different but I would not think that your elbow, forearm, wrist or hand would be immobilized. In that case you might be supprised at how much woodworking that you could do. In any case I am hopeing for the best.

Allen

Greg Koch
04-29-2006, 1:12 AM
Take care Scott, and keep us informed as best you can how things are going. Best wishes and thoughts to ya!

Greg

Al Navas
04-29-2006, 9:02 AM
It will be painful and tough for some time, but well worth it. LOML went through it with both shoulders but recovered famously. Time and patience will help you get through it, Scott.

Best wishes,

Al

Ray Turney
04-29-2006, 9:34 AM
Scott,all the best for a quick recovery. In the meantime why don't you find somebody who would like to learn woodworking and you could become a mentor to that person and that would put you in the shop. My youngest son took a interest in what I was doing in the shop and can't spend money fast enough an new tools. The Borgs love him. Anyway just an idea. Ray Turney in central Kentucky

Jim O'Dell
04-29-2006, 9:54 AM
Scott, sorry to hear of the shoulder problem. But it sounds like, as is, there wouldn't be much woodworking time anyway. Get it fixed. Use the down time to design some new projects and/or learn some new software. Maybe another local woodworker would let you come observe his/her work to learn some new techniques and at least get to "smell" some wood. Spend a little time and see if you can't find a reasonable way to make your shop a little more foul weather freindly so you can do some work in the "off" season. Good luck with the recoouperation. It's always the hardest part. You think you can do a lot more than the DR. says you should do. LISTEN TO YOUR DR.!! Or you'll experience some setbacks you don't want to have. Jim.

Michael Disorbo
04-29-2006, 9:54 AM
I had the same problem 15 years ago. Could not lift my arm much higher than my waste. Doctor told me I needed surgery and then they would have to cut all the muscle, no orthoscopic at the time here. 6 month healing time!! I said lets wait and see. It got better and better were it did not bother me again until this past fall. Same thing, had the MRI, bone spurs, arthritis doctor said bad shape you need surgery. I said lets wait. I can now lift my arm and touch my head and it is definately getting better. I also was supposed to have surgery on both knees for torn menescus (spelling) and never had it done. Every once in awhile they flair up but its no big deal. You got to remember, a surgeon does surgery. Maybe you need to take it easy for a while and see what happens then decide. I would never rush into surgery just because a surgeon told me I needed it. Don't get me wrong, if my shoulder stayed the same and I could not lift it above my waist then yes by all means. But it got better on its own and if it last me another 15 years I will be more than happy!!

Michael

Tyler Howell
04-29-2006, 9:56 AM
Sorry Scott,
Get back in the shop soon.;)

Jim Becker
04-29-2006, 10:48 AM
That bites, Scott, but it's best to deal with the problem so your future woodworking seasons are uninhibited! And as others elude to...it gives you plenty of time to do "mental woodworking", project planning and a bit of software exploration. 'Hope your recovery is swift!

John Shaffner
04-29-2006, 2:06 PM
Scott,
I cannot express the importance of the PT enough!! A bunch of yrs ago, I had both knees scoped. I thought I was tough and didn't need the PT. Well, guess what? I ain't as tough as I thought I was. I am still paying for not going to PT like Doc said. At times, when I wake up in the morning, it takes me several minutes to get enough movement in my knees to even stand up, then another several minutes before I dare walk.

DO THE PT!!! They want you to do it for a reason!!!

Will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

John

Larry Klaaren
04-29-2006, 3:11 PM
Hey shoulders are tough, but you should be Ok. A lot of the people I call on have had shoulder surgeries in the last year.

I've seen people push it and regret it so do what your doctor says and do the therapy. They will push you to the limit in therapy - a lot of folks hate it, but they will do it at the right time and in the right way. Attitude is important! Have the "keep at it-tude."

Larry

John Buzzurro
04-29-2006, 4:38 PM
Scott,

Sorry to hear about your plight. I would be bummed too. Here's a thought though, and I may be stating something obvious, but - have you considered heating the garage? I'm in the Northeast too, and I installed a 220V (16.7amp) electric heater in mine last fall. Keeps my 300 sq. ft. garage nice and warm so I can work there year round.

At least if you had the garage heated, you could get back in there sooner.

Bill Esposito
04-29-2006, 4:51 PM
Scott,

Buy a big screen TV and an air conditioner. Sit on the couch in your underwear and turn the AC on Coldest and acclimate to the cold. Then come winter you should be able to tolerate the garage temps :)

Corey Hallagan
04-29-2006, 6:45 PM
That's tough Scott. Cort shots only work for a short time. I am facing the same things with my shoulders and my knees. It is very painful! Hope all goes well and sorry to hear your woodworking season is getting shorter!

Corey

scott spencer
04-29-2006, 9:03 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice everyone! It's hard not to cheer up a bit after all that. If I've got it all straight, I should heat my shop, buy a big screen TV and lounge around in my scivvies while I recover, bone up on my design software, follow doctors orders, and above all....do the PT! I'm envisioning the bionic man already! :D

Dan Forman
04-30-2006, 5:39 AM
Scott---Sorry to hear of your predicament. Someone early in the thread already said this, but "this too shall pass" covers a lot of ground. There will be lots of time for books, and don't forget "The Woodworking Network", and the FWW archives, a good excuse to subscribe to both. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dan