PDA

View Full Version : Oliver 4040

Edward Carrion
04-28-2006, 4:33 PM
Getting close to the wood show in pomona next week :) So, anyone out there has any opinion on the Oliver 4040 table saw? please let me know Here's the link http://olivermachinery.net/printer.asp?printMachine=4040

General, Bridgewood, Powermatic (PM2000) are all going to there, as my previous thread here is my latest choices, General, Bridgewood, Oliver, and the PM2000 and if I could afford it the Northfield. So please let me know your input pro's and con's work for me.

Thank You,

Edward

Michael Ballent
04-28-2006, 4:58 PM
Is there a reason that you do not have the SawStop on your list... At least with price range you appear to be in, the SawStop is an option for you...
http://www.sawstop.com

I am not aware of anyone that has the new Olivers, but I am sure that there are out there... One thing to remember is that these new Olivers are made in Taiwan (maybe China) so they are not the same old Olivers Dev drools over ;) Also I believe that these are being brought in via Sunhill.

Edward Carrion
04-28-2006, 5:32 PM
I agree that this saw is made somewhere in the Asian Pacific but the Saw Stop is like talking about religion and politics. Besides at 3 grand it is way out of my price range. I got a quote for the Oliver today at 2 grand. After reading for several days about the saw stop and about all those table saw accidents I did some research on that and the common denominator of all these table saw accidents was running these machines without a saw guard, splitter/riving knife, paying attention, staying out of the danger zone, and feather boards. No safety guards equals major hurt time with or without a saw stop. Same as you would experience running free form routing. I know the saw stop is great idea but it only gives you a false sense of security without the blade guard, splitter ect It can not provide a total safety solution. My opinion and my opinion only is that it is for those folks that find using the other safety equipment as to cumbersom or time consuming then the saw stop is the answer but that's just my opionion.

Dan Racette
04-28-2006, 5:36 PM
I have the Oliver 4010 which is not listed on their website. It is a 4040 without the 1" arbor and without the 5hp. so I am limited to 10" blades and 3hp. It is very sturdy. I recently upgraded to a European combo and am selling mine. I don't have anything bad to say about the saw. I did hit my switch hard and broke off the key, but that's my fault! In addition to a nice weight it does run very smooth. I have seen John M.'s Bridgewood, and I feel that they compare, but the fit and finish is more refined on the Bridgewood.

Dan

Michael Ballent
04-28-2006, 5:40 PM
Actually even though I have a SawStop I still use the blade guard :D I have actually found it to be very good since it's so narrow compared to what is out there. The PM 2000 still has that wide version which gets in the way for narrow rips. The guard on the SawStop does get in the way sometimes, but that is a VERY narrow rip. I guess I got lucky when I bought mine, since I missed the price increase by 1 week :D There are several SS owners here, so if you happen to have any questions we would be happy to answer them or just shoot me a PM if you want :D in case you want to avoid a heated debate. (but I do not think that there will be one)

I agree that this saw is made somewhere in the Asian Pacific but the Saw Stop is like talk about religion and politics. Besides at 3 grand is way out of my price range. I got a quote for the Oliver today at 2 grand. After reading for several days about the saw stop and about all those table saw accidents I did some research on that and the common denominator of all these table saw accidents was running these without a saw guard, splitter/riving knife, paying attention, staying out of the danger zone, and feather boards. No safety guards equals major hurt time with or without a saw stop. Same as you would experience running free form routing. I know the saw stop is great idea but it only gives you a false sense of security without the blade guard, splitter ect. It can not provide a total safety solution. My opinion and my opinion only is that it is for those folks the find using the other safety equipment as to cumbersom or time consuming then the saw stop is the answer but that's just my opionion.

Dan Racette
04-28-2006, 5:45 PM
You can actually get them from any oliver dealer. There are two in wisconsin, and I know that Eagle is also carrying them. I would go where cust. serv. is best. I did get mine from Sunhill. I also got the 10" jointer that several folks have. it is very solid with very long tables.

You are correct though on the TaiCHI statement and they are not the Dev Drool machines. Although if I ever get the cash for an ITCH headed planer with a knife grinder...I will still get that in addition to my euro unit as that is simply a work of magic.

I would also agree with you Michael to add a saw stop to the list that Edward has created. I have used one and the fit an finish is above all the items listed plus it has a true riving knive, plus the finger saving blade stop mechanism. simply a great product all around. In my limited "handling" of the PM2000, I still would go sawstop over that. DEFINITELY. If you are hovering around the price range of the 4040, I would save the diff and go with the bridgewood. If you want to kick out the extra fundage. SAWSTOP.

Is there a reason that you do not have the SawStop on your list... At least with price range you appear to be in, the SawStop is an option for you...
http://www.sawstop.com

I am not aware of anyone that has the new Olivers, but I am sure that there are out there... One thing to remember is that these new Olivers are made in Taiwan (maybe China) so they are not the same old Olivers Dev drools over ;) Also I believe that these are being brought in via Sunhill.

Ian Barley
04-28-2006, 6:19 PM
... After reading for several days about the saw stop and about all those table saw accidents I did some research on that and the common denominator of all these table saw accidents was running these machines without a saw guard, splitter/riving knife, paying attention, staying out of the danger zone, and feather boards...

I agree that the Sawstop unique safety feature is not "necessary" if you do everything right all the time. The problem is the need to do everything right all the time. If they sold SS in my territory and I was in the market for a saw I personally would have to find a very strong reason not to buy one. The only reason I could think of is that they don't make a "Euro" slider format, which I consider to be another significant safety and functionality gain. But it would be a toss up. If SS made a euro slider format I might fly over and swim back with one!

If you have discounted it solely for cost - rethink the value of the added security. If you have discounted it for the absence of another feature you consider essential then fine. Just don't dismiss it 'cos you think that you don't need it.

Michael Ballent
04-28-2006, 6:35 PM
The only reason I could think of is that they don't make a "Euro" slider format, which I consider to be another significant safety and functionality gain.

Now that would be a force to be reckoned with ;) Euro Slider SawStop, I would have to dump my SS and upgrade :D if that ever came out. :eek:

Roy Wall
04-28-2006, 7:26 PM
Actually even though I have a SawStop I still use the blade guard :D I have actually found it to be very good since it's so narrow compared to what is out there. The PM 2000 still has that wide version which gets in the way for narrow rips. The guard on the SawStop does get in the way sometimes, but that is a VERY narrow rip. I guess I got lucky when I bought mine, since I missed the price increase by 1 week :D There are several SS owners here, so if you happen to have any questions we would be happy to answer them or just shoot me a PM if you want :D in case you want to avoid a heated debate. (but I do not think that there will be one)

Agree 100% Michael!! The only time I've had the guard off is for shoulder cuts on tenons......cheeks cut on the BS.

It is my opinion that Sawstop has already changed the competition - they will adapt to include riving knives, spreaders, etc as std features on the saws. The technology will certainly be duplicated if /when the patent runs out......