PDA

View Full Version : TS top rejuvenation...

Mike Canaris
04-28-2006, 12:33 PM
What do you guys use to deep clean to tops of your table saws?

I recently picked up used TS..the top has a lot of hairline scratches glue stains some rust stains..could I just sand it down and polished it....I would like to restore it and make it look clean again.....are there any special products that could help me in this procedure easier?

Ken Garlock
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Hello Mike, welcome aboard the creek. Do stop by frequently and splash around.:)

Your question has a hidden question of how well do you want to clean it up. If you want it to look like new, then you have to do some hard work. If you want it smooth, then the job is easier. When I bought a joiner, it had some rust stains on the input/output tables, they were just cosmetic. After I got the shipping grease off, I just used some standard rust remover like Naval Jelly. I stopped by the not so local Harbor Freight and bought a cheap 1/4 sheet electric sander. I attached a scotch-bright pad to it and it saved a lot of elbow grease. I finished up with Empire Mfg. "Top Saver" table cleaner and preservative, and finally a coat of paste wax. Yes, I can still see a little of the stain. Does it hurt the operation, not in the least.