PDA

View Full Version : Hybird operating cost

Charles McKinley
04-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi All,

I found this article that addresses some of the questions raisedin the other thread.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Saveonacar/P148868.asp?GT1=8010

Some of the cars came out cheaper than the gas counterpart others more expensive.

Hope this helps those considering this option.

Ken Garlock
04-28-2006, 1:36 PM
Interesting reading, Charles. For some time I have been curious as to why all the car makers have jumped on the horsepower bandwagon. For several years I drove Honda Accords with less than 100 hp, that was enough to travel to and from work and across country at 70+ MPH. Now you see ads for family sedans with 300 hp. It just seems strange, but I guess that is marketing.:confused:

Take a look at the VW Golf Deisel. 100 hp, 44 mpg. The husband of an assistant at our vet has a a Golf deisel, and he drives 50 miles each day to work. She claims he gets nearly 50 mpg in mostly highway driving.

Charles McKinley
04-28-2006, 2:16 PM
I agree Ken, I really don't understand the high horsepower family cars.

I have a TDI jetta wagon and love it. I get 38mpg if it is all short trips and it doesn't get warmed up. We usually get 44 and the highest I have checked is 47. VW changed the motor in 2004 upping the HP to 100 from 90 with a coresponding 10% drop in feul economy.