PDA

View Full Version : And After All Your Warnings ... !!!

Jim VanBramer
04-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Well, even though I haven't had a lathe I've been reading all your posts for quite some time now. I've heard of what you refer to as the "abyss", and that strong sucking sound as money goes flying out of your wallet!:eek: Time after time the words "Turn and run ... run as fast as you can, now while you still have a chance!!!":D have been uttered in these hallowed halls. You'd think that with all that having been said I'd know better :( but today I fell under the spell that must have taken over each and every one of you at one time or another ....... I bought my self a lathe. It's a gently used Woodfast that was retrofitted by Craft Supply so it now has variable speed. It will turn 16" and about 18" between centers. My wife played a big part in my getting it, but she was probably wondering why she'd done it when I was lost in a daze turning a small piece of cherry 10 minutes after we got 'er home! Actually it was her gift to me for our 25th anniversary that's coming up in a couple weeks ... guess maybe I'll consider renewing her contract now!;) I just can't believe all the things that you "NEED" for turning though ... I think I can already feel something tuggin' at the 'ol wallet-o!:eek: And what luck ... the wood show starts tomorrow here in Seattle! What have I done??? Is it too late to turn back????? Heeeelp me!!!!!!! :D
Jim V
37344 37345

Scott Donley
04-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Nice lathe Jim, now what ya going to do with all that flat wood you have :) :) Might see you at the show, not sure if I am going Fri or Sat Good luck handling the VORTEX

Jim VanBramer
04-28-2006, 1:04 AM
... Good luck handling the VORTEX

Now we just need to get you one too, cuz like they say ... Misery loves company!!! :D By the way, I've got a line on one just like this if you're interested??!!!! I'll be at the show all day Friday ... I'll be the one with the dazed look in his eyes wandering among all the lathe stuff. I think I finally figured out why guys have those chains hooked to their wallets ........ THEY'RE WOODTURNERS!!!!!

Jim

Scott Donley
04-28-2006, 1:16 AM
Now we just need to get you one too, cuz like they say ... Misery loves company!!! :D By the way, I've got a line on one just like this if you're interested??!!!! I'll be at the show all day Friday ... I'll be the one with the dazed look in his eyes wandering among all the lathe stuff. I think I finally figured out why guys have those chains hooked to their wallets ........ THEY'RE WOODTURNERS!!!!!

JimI saw 2 of them listed on Craigs list this week. I just have a hard time spending what little money I have. Must not be a REAL turner yet :)

Dennis Peacock
04-28-2006, 1:19 AM
Congrats on the new lathe there Jim.!!!!!!!!!:D

You'll find plenty to spend your money on at the ww'ing show. Just come home with turning tools, scroll chuck, bowl gouges, cole jaws for the scroll chuck, scrapers, and the list grows from there. ;) :D

Jim VanBramer
04-28-2006, 1:28 AM
Yeah Dennis ... I sat down tonight and started making a list ........ and ran out of paper!!!:eek:
I'm thinking that the first couple things I'm gonna buy are a beginners set of tools (probably that set from Harbor Freight) and that slow speed grinder that's on sale at Woodcraft. Then we'll see where it takes us from there (other than the poor house!) :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-28-2006, 1:33 AM
Congrats Jim, welcome to the void!

These guys keep saying how the wallet will be empty and all that, but really, there is a solution, aside from a bandsaw, and maybe drill press, you don't need the rest of them "Flatwork" tools, sell them off, and you will be set for a turning budget......... for a while :D

Do you have a chainsaw...................yet? :D

Cheers!

Christopher K. Hartley
04-28-2006, 7:17 AM
Jim, WELCOME to the COOL waters of the Creek! Great present you received there. Be sure to keep giving her "Big Hugs" and plenty of "Spinny Things" that come from it. Maybe that way the sucking sound won't be quite so obvious to her. I have a list of stuff I made up when I got mine and I'm still chunking away at it. It was helpful to me just to get a bit organized and see what the priorities were. If you'd like a copy of it I'd be more than happy to send it to you. I know the guys and ladies here will make it longer but hey, you can't take it with you, so enjoy it here.(that's a Funeral Service thing, Andy will explain)

Jim Davenport
04-28-2006, 7:37 AM
Oh Jim.
You have been assimilated. All hope is gone. You are now spinning in "THE VORTEX". A world where the laws of nature don't apply, electrons flow freely, time stands still. Bowls disappear from the lathe, and reappear on the other side of the shop.
Most of all a primal force that keeps your wallet empty.:rolleyes: :eek: :confused:
Congrat's on the new lathe I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2006, 7:54 AM
Jim........Welcome to the Abyss! As stated.......a place in time where all time stands still as the curls or chips fly...........where money, common sense, and reasoning have no place........And it's a kick! I've come in from the shop at 1130 pm with my first bowl....woke up SWMBO to show it to her......In the Abyss.....there is no fear!:D ...........just a lot of learning and somewhat instant gratification. Congrats on the new lathe! Enjoy!:)

Keith Burns
04-28-2006, 8:47 AM
Jim, welcome to the dark side and congrats on the lathe. It looks like a good one. Just have to love it when "ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!"

Steve Ash
04-28-2006, 8:47 AM
Hey Jim, Congrats on the lathe and especially the 25 years! :cool:

Pete Jordan
04-28-2006, 8:50 AM
Jim,

I wouldn't really worry about the money. I had everything I needed a thousand dollars ago and that's not counting what is being delivered today! It's a good thing UPS delivers to my work so I can tell my wife I've had that tool for a long time.

Pete

Steve Ash
04-28-2006, 8:52 AM
and that's not counting what is being delivered today!

Pete, that sounds like a stealth gloat....whachagettin?

Pete Jordan
04-28-2006, 9:07 AM
Pete, that sounds like a stealth gloat....whachagettin?

The Trend Air sheild
3 and 4 inch forstner bits
A book on wood types

Bernie Weishapl
04-28-2006, 9:47 AM
Welcome Jim. You will find the vortex is a never ending black hole but like my wife says I would just spend it on something else.

Mike Wilkins
04-28-2006, 3:03 PM
Congrats on the lathe Jim. I have the same lathe that was purchased gently used. Had to send the controller back to Craft Supplies for a new circuit board. Have not had much time to use it, as there is much flat work to be done in the shop.
I upgraded from a Sears Craftsman lathe to get this one, although at the expense of shorter length between centers. Now to save up for some much needed accesories.

Jim VanBramer
04-29-2006, 12:42 AM
Gee guys ... thanks for all the words of wisdom (I think!). Like I said, my wife was very instrumental in getting the lathe, and seemed to be extremely supportive of all the things we'd need to go along with it ......... Woodcraft for a slow speed grinder, Craft Supply for some tools and other things ..... Victoria's Secret for a pink thong??!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: ........... that's when I found the lathe pushed out of the garage with a big FOR SALE sign on it!!!!! Thanks Tyler!:D :D

Ernie Nyvall
04-29-2006, 8:51 PM
Congrats Jim and welcome. Looks like you got a great start there.

Ernie