PDA

View Full Version : tv issue

Christopher Pine
04-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Anyone possibly know why this is happening on this small tv? I would like to have it work but the multi color lines as you can see are not what they should be...

Jim O'Dell
04-28-2006, 5:22 PM
Looks like a magnet has gotten too close to it, possibly a stereo speaker?. I'd try degausing (sp?) it first. On a TV, that would most likely require taking it to a repair shop, unlike the computer monitors that have that tool built in.
That photo reminds me....Back in my audio/video days we would take a camera, pipe it to a monitor and point the camera at the monitor. You can get it to do some really weird things if you get the right combination of angles and distance from the monitor.
Good luck! Jim.

Rick Gibson
04-28-2006, 6:56 PM
Looks the same as the one my daughter had. The grandkids thought all the colors they got when they brought a magnet to the screen were neat. I had an old bulk tape eraser laying around from my reel to reel tape days and it worked great to de magnetize the screen.

Christopher Pine
04-28-2006, 8:17 PM
I thought of it maybe being an issue of needing degaussing... I heard that circuit city would do this for no charge will check it out...\Thanks for confirming my thought.

Christopher Pine
04-28-2006, 8:44 PM
I see a head demagnetiser on ebay for $5 would this do the trick?

Jim O'Dell
04-28-2006, 9:36 PM
If it's a cassette cartridge type, nope. Not enough oomph. Rick, I hadn't thought about a bulk tape eraser. I have one of them too. An old Radio Shack unit. At least I think I still have it. Guess if I ever see it again, I'll have to remember to keep it around. Christopher, my bulk one is about 4" tall and the base is 2X3. It weighs about 4 or 5 lbs. Jim.

Rick Gibson
04-29-2006, 8:25 AM
The head demagnetizer would be to small so wouldn't work. Jim sounds like the same one I have, I bought it from Radio Shack back in the 60's. Still comed in handy to demagnetize or even magnetize the odd screwdriver when needed. Turn the power off while the screwdriver is still touching it and it usually magnetizes it enough for the job.

Steve Hayes
05-01-2006, 2:57 PM
You need a degaussing ring if it was a magnet.

Christopher Pine
05-03-2006, 7:43 PM
Well nothing ventured nothing gained I borrowed a demagnetiser and tried it no luck there is somthing hard broke.. at least for me.. it went to trash this morning. Thanks for all the help I learned several things from this experience. :)

Michael Ballent
05-03-2006, 8:26 PM
I did not know that TV could break ;) None, and I mean none of the TV's I have had have ever broken down... Sorry about the loss, at least they are not as expensive as they used to be :D

Jim O'Dell
05-03-2006, 8:35 PM
I did not know that TV could break ;) None, and I mean none of the TV's I have had have ever broken down... Sorry about the loss, at least they are not as expensive as they used to be :D
That's true. My first Sony, 19", cost me about 600.00 about 24 years ago. Still have it, though there is a black section at the top of the picture. May work good for a shop TV though. Next one was a Sony 27", cost about 600.00 about 8 years ago. Put it in the shop the week after Christmas. They just got it ready last week!!! I kid you not. I had decided they could't fix it, and were too embarrassed to call and tell me. Works great again. Worth the 100.00 repair. Jim.

Christopher Pine
05-03-2006, 9:59 PM
es.. he said take it and if you can fix it great, if not your trash is as good as mine.. So no loss on my part other than a free tv.. :) Was going to make it an inexpensive gift for daughter for her room...

Actually I have not had a tv break either. :) This tv i was going to buy for $25 off of craigslist.. went to the guys house and we plugged it inn and seen the lines.. he said take it and if you can fix it great, if not your trash is as good as mine.. So no loss on my part other than a free tv.. :) Was going to make it an inexpensive gift for daughter for her room...

Bill Lewis
05-04-2006, 5:44 AM
Ok, here's a blatent hijack...but it's my favorite TV story.

When I got out of college, and got a job, I wanted my own color TV, all I had up to that point was a little B&W unit. This wasn't that long ago, I just didn't have any $$.

So I went to Circuit City and bought an NEC 20" TV with stereo speakers. Ok so this was still before the whole home theater boom, but after they started broadcasting the audio in stereo. It was a nice TV with a great picture. Sometime in the early to mid 90's it started getting so that the audio would cut out requiring the old tried an true "whack it on the side" repair technique.

After awhile I got tired of beating on the TV, and the beatings were becoming more frequent so I dedcided to do something about it. I opened it up looking for a loose chip in a socket, after all this is what we used to do with the tubes (and I ain't talking about picture tubes either). Well I couldn't find a chip that first time, but later I was talking to a tv technician and he knew the problem right off. It was indeed a chip, and the only chip on the board. It was the brain of the thing, and it lived hidden under an RF shiled. So in I went again. this time I found it, plucked it from the socket, removed the socket from the board, and soldered the chip directly to the board.

After all that the TV seemed better than new. The sound problems were gone, and the picture was sharper than I ever remember. I still have this tv to this day, and it still works as good as new. I'd guess it will continue to do so until they cease to broadcast in the analog format.