PDA

View Full Version : Festool OF 1400 versus Dewalt 618

Andrew McCarthy
04-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm looking to buy my first plunge router. I've got a large fixed base router already, the porter cable 7518, and really need a plunge router. I might use it on my Leigh D4 in lieu of the larger 7518, and also for all of my plunge routing needs. Between the OF 1400 and the DeWalt 618, which do you guys recommend. I've tried the DeWalt, as they are available at my local Lowes, though no one around me carries the Festool, so I'll have to order it online if I go that route. If you recommend the Festool where would you suggest ordering it from? It seems the price is always the same, but if you know of a cheaper place, I'd love to know! Thanks for your imput!

Dan Larson
04-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Andrew,

I own the OF1400 and really like it. I've never used the DeWalt, so I won't comment on it.

The OF1400 is smooth, powerful, well balanced, and relatively light weight. It has some nice design features that make bit changes easier. Dust collection is very good for some types of cuts, mediocre on others. It's pricey, but I have no regrets with the purchase.

If you buy anything Festool, Bob Marino is the man to do business with.
http://festool.safeshopper.com/
He knows his product lines well, and is a great guy. Don't bother to try to find the best price on Festool. All dealers sell at the same price.

Dan

Jim Becker
04-28-2006, 1:18 AM
I own both the DW618 (with all the bases) and the Festool OF1400. I enjoy using both. If I could only have one router in my shop, it would probably be the DW kit (with all the bases) but you'd have a very hard time prying the Festool router out of my shop...review on my web site.

BTW, 'suggest you use the fixed base version of the DW on the D4. More stable with a lower center of gravity.

And I agree that Bob Marino is the one to deal with for Festool.

Rich Person
04-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I have the 1400 also and like its size and balance. It also comes standard with an 8mm collet, which I believe is the same as the standard D4 bits, isn't that right? The biggest advantage for me with the 1400 is its use with the guide rails I have for my festool saw. If I were just buying a router without the guide, then the 1400 is still a nice router, but would be likely closer to the DW.

I don't know if the DW has these features, but the 1400 ratchet spindle lock is nice, as are the pop out guide bushings, and included dust collection. Also, the one screw lock for both bars of the edge guide is nice, as is the plunge lock mechanism.

Andrew McCarthy
04-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've got the TS 55, and Rich makes a very good point about being able to use the router with the aluminum track that I've already got. This makes my decision much easire. Thanks again!