George Conklin
04-27-2006, 8:26 PM
Well??? Which lathe did you decide on?

Spinning minds need to know:D

Pete Jordan
04-27-2006, 8:51 PM
Well??? Which lathe did you decide on?

Spinning minds need to know:D

Since I have been following this: Stu started with the blender thing, worked his way thru the mini lathes, turned left at the midi lathes, flirted with the Delta, played tag with the DVR, prominaded with Vicmarc and the 3520B and is engaged to the Oneway.

Pete:eek:

Don Baer
04-27-2006, 9:19 PM
My money is on the DVR..:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2006, 9:21 PM
My money is on the DVR..:D

If I may Don.....I'll correct you.........Stu's money on the DVR?:rolleyes: :D

Keith Christopher
04-27-2006, 9:40 PM
I still say he should go with the mayo white one! There is only one-way to turn. (sorry I can't help myself.)

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I think Ken is right but I think Stu's money is on the DVR.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Well...........

I'm really liking the Nova DVR-XP from Teknatool. Go to their site and watch the video's and see if you are not impressed, also a friend here in Japan has a DVR 3000 and he really likes it. I'm trying to figure a way to get over to his place to try it out, but our schedules are not very helpful, plus, he lives about 1 1/2 hour away by train!

The DVR-XP has a number of upgrades over the already good DVR 3000, a new more solid headstock, a new stronger, stiffer bed, a more powerful motor, and some other stuff too.

My main concern is what flavor I'm going to get, international or local, I'm still waiting on a quote, which, I won't get until next week, I'm sure.

But.............

I'm going to that Demo this Saturday, and the guy hosting the Demo has a VL300, now I don't think I'm going to buy the VL300, as it is nearly double the money, and the outboard turning part of it would be next to useless for me, as my lathe stand area is in a cove of concrete, but I want a look.

I'm joining the Far East Woodturners Society (FEWS) and I'll be able to take in a bunch of other demos, and even a two day workshop, but I'm also hoping to meet up with a bunch of other turners, and you never know, someone might just have a good used lathe that is for sale.......:rolleyes:

Thus, I'm figuring that the DVR-XP will be the one, but I'm not at the 100% mark.

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Dadgummit!...........The Vortex must not be quite as strong on the other side of the Pacific as here .............Stu's still got his money:eek: :D

You're using your noggin Stu! When I buy my next lathe.......I want one that will do everything I'll ever want to do and then I'll keep the Jet mini for smaller stuff. Take your time.........look at the prospects.........Make a wise decision..................

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Good for you Stu. I am sure the DVR will do everything you want to do but doesn't hurt to check things out. You may find a deal you can't live without. Never know till you ask and look.

04-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Well guys, it is really hard to not just plunk down the cash and say "GIVE ME LATHE" but I really do want this to be the last one I buy.

If money was not the issue, one of these would already be on a boat with my name on it.....

http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/images/2436_lathe_350px.jpg

But until I win that lottery, this is out of reach :(

Heck, if money was not an object, I'd build a workshop on the roof of our building with lots of skylights and big windows, and I'd leave the flatwork and metal work in the Dungeon......... :rolleyes:

For the money, new, I can't see beating the DVR-XP.

Go see the videos if you have not.

I will be looking for a deal at the FEWS meetings, you just never know.

We shall see.

Cheers!

Pete Jordan
04-28-2006, 4:11 PM
Stu,

I found another white one for ya.
http://www.lagunatools.com/pinnicle.htm

04-28-2006, 5:29 PM
That you did!

I had no idea they made lathes!

ONLY $6,495....:eek:

George Conklin
04-28-2006, 6:27 PM
Well guys, it is really hard to not just plunk down the cash and say "GIVE ME LATHE" but I really do want this to be the last one I buy.

If money was not the issue, one of these would already be on a boat with my name on it.....

http://www.oneway.ca/lathes/images/2436_lathe_350px.jpg

Cheers!

That lathe would definitely do the trick, but I thinit would be expensive. Probably about a kagillion, batrillion,magillion yen.:eek:

Andy Hoyt
04-28-2006, 7:05 PM
That lathe would definitely do the trick, but I thinit would be expensive. Probably about a kagillion, batrillion,magillion yen.:eek:George - ya gotta think in terms of events. Knowing Stu, the is cost thusly reduced to only one buhzillion yen - per catch.:eek:

....When I buy my next lathe.......Ahem - Don't you mean, "When you buy your first lathe?":D

George Conklin
04-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Ahem - Don't you mean, "When you buy your first lathe?":D

ROFL!!!!!!! That's rich!!!!

Barry Stratton
04-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Ahem - Don't you mean, "When you buy your first lathe?":D

LOL - Priceless Mr. Hoyt, sir. Priceless.....

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2006, 11:54 PM
No...........I mean my next lathe..............I never stated I bought the 1st lathe.............I do intend on buying another ..........And MR. ICECREAM.........It'll probably be MUSTARD!:D

Andy Hoyt
04-29-2006, 12:07 AM
............It'll probably be MUSTARD!:D
Blasphemery!:D

04-29-2006, 4:26 AM
Well Andy, I've seen the light, I'll be getting a Mayo lathe for sure............

The flavour of Mayo may not be quite what you are thinking, but Mayo just the same. :rolleyes:

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/jfe_demo/beaver.jpg

This is the Beaver Lathe, made by Vicmarc.

The Aussie design, with the Taiwanese price!:D

Today at the demo, Jean Francious Escoulen used the Vicmarc VL300, what a super machine that is,
but, kind of out of my price bracket, and I'd have some trouble using it in the space I have.
While I was there, I notices that Beaver, and it is a swing head too! :D

The guts of the headstock are the same, roller taper bearings, and boy is it a nice machine,
everything slides with ease, and I really like the size and heft of it. It has a bed extension if I ever wanted to do longer turnings.

It has three pulleys and variable speed too...
1st pulley 10 - 1000 rpm (Ratio 1:3)
2nd Pulley 20 – 2000 rpm (Ratio 1:2)
3rd Pulley 30 – 3000 rpm (Ratio 1:1)

It really looks nice, and I could not believe how smooth it spins and such.
Everything seems to be where it should be, and the toolrest and the tailstock movement is super smooth.

The machine I was looking at has been in the guys place, a school of sorts (He teaches) for some time.

The on/off switch, speed controller box is on a magnet, so it can be moved around.

Best part...?

190,000 yen ($1730) for comparison, Craft Supplies has only the non-swing head listed, they want $1299 for it,
(plus shipping and tax) the price I get includes shipping, and tax, for the swinghead.

The new DVR-XP is going to be over $3000, plus shipping....

My buddy with the DVR was also there, and he had a good look at it, and he thought it would be just as good as the DVR,
maybe even better in some respects.

It looks and feels REALLY well made.

You see, this is why I wanted to go to this meeting :D

Full report on the meeting later, I got to sell some beer!

Cheers!