PDA

View Full Version : Allergies?!?!

Helen Gee
04-27-2006, 6:58 PM
Hi guys,

So I went into the allergy doctor today to see what's been going on. I've had 2 attacks in the last month. Never had any problems before this and worked with a variety of pretty common woods. The main activities have been just sawing and a lot of sanding (which I think is the main culprit for the attacks).

The first attack was with the maple, I had a skin rash wherever the dust (from sanding) touched, mostly arms and neck.

The second attack I had hives all over. This time I made sure to cover up (wore gloves too), but then I was trying to finish up something so I did not wear a mask for part of the sanding activities. That night the hives started appearing, took benadryl, they went away, next day hives again all over.

The doctor thinks it's just a past time, little does she know it's really an addiction. Quitting is not really an option for me unless it's going to kill me. I don't have any respiratory issues from woodworking, thank goodness.

For now, what I am planning to do is wear gloves and respirator with the dust filters, disposable jumpsuit, open up the garage door for lots of ventilation. Any one else have to deal with this? Any other recommendations? I'm also going to another allergy doc for a second opinion but I'd rather not call it quits :confused: .

Ian Barley
04-27-2006, 7:03 PM
Helen

Sorry to hear of your discomfort. The best way to deal with dust etc is at source. Cobering up is good but good extraction is better, Even if all that means is making sure that the sander doesn't go on until the shop vac is hooked up to it. All my sanders are now plugged into auto starting vacuum extractors and it helps a lot with keeping the fine stuff down to a dull roar.

Tom Sontag
04-28-2006, 12:09 AM
What he said. If you are going to use power tools you MUST use dust collection, and the best DC is at the source. Once it is in the air you have failed. Bill Pentz's website has way more to read on this subject than you might want.

I have most of the right DC stuff and still wear a mask though; my problems are respiratory. Hives would suck too.

Steven Wilson
04-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Collect dust at the source and consider getting a couple of Festool sanders and a CT22 vac. At the very least you need a downdraft table. I was getting sinus infections every few weeks and starting to get hives once and awhile. I greatly improved my dust collection (2hp cyclone, euro combo machine, and festool sanders) and my sinus problems went away.

Frank Chaffee
04-28-2006, 1:36 AM
Hi Helen,
I see that you have gotten the Festool CT-22 “Mobile Dust Extractor”, not to be confused with a shop vac. Good start. For the level of sensitivity you are showing to wood dust, I highly recommend that you invest in Festool sanders as well. The design of the fes paper and the fes sander’s air intake pathways are highly effective at reducing airborne dust. Festool offers HEPA filters as well for their dust extractors.

You have done your homework on Bill Pense’s site. I suspect that with only you and husband George working in your shop, a 2 HP cyclone will be adequate. Hook one up to your table saw, band saw, router table, and other machines as you add them.

Best wishes, and keep in touch with us, as this is an important subject for many.
Thanks,
Frank

Helen Gee
04-28-2006, 1:52 AM
Thanks Guys!!! Yes, we were lucky enough to pick up a Festool vac last weekend, used once by the previous owner :). Going to pick up the festool sander at some point.

My next project is to build a downdraft sanding table before we can do any other project. Don't want to deal with another outbreak like this.

We are thinking of getting the 2HP cyclone, still doing the research on that :D but hopefully soon once the electrician comes and fixes some of the electrical wiring problems we have :eek: .

Doyle Alley
04-28-2006, 8:40 AM
I know that certain woods affect people differently. For example, around here the turners that use pin oak know to cover up their arms because most people have an allergic skin reaction to its dust and shavings. Maybe you could find an allergist that could run a sensitivity test to determine the particular woods that you are most allergic to and then you could avoid them.

Tom Jones III
04-28-2006, 8:45 AM
The other posts have good suggestions, collect at source, Pentz's site, festool. I've got three other suggestions,
1. look into a trend airshield. Wood turners commonly use these since they need a face shield and dust protection. I'm looking into getting one myself.
2. Change wood species. Do they all cause this reaction?
3. Investigate neanderthal techniques. Did you know that hand planes and scrapers often give as good or better surfaces than sanding? At the very least they will keep your sanding, and dust, to a minimum. You can start scraping instead of sanding for as little as $3. I did an entire pembroke table without sanding at all. Maybe learn hand cut dovetails instead of using a router that makes clouds of dust.

Rye Crane
04-28-2006, 1:25 PM
Hi Helen,

Really sorry to hear about your allergies. Mine are all caused by the green stuff growing this time of the year. When I use my Festool sanders and other tools with their vac system I don't even smell the wood I'm working. I also installed the 2hp Oneida commercial system, that with the euro combo machine and the shop is virtually dust free. Just make sure to read Bill Pentz's works before you get to far into your dust collection solutions.

Good Luck,
Rye Crane

Helen Gee
04-28-2006, 1:32 PM
Thanks guys!!

Tom, yup, I'm considering hand tools. Actually, that was the preferred way to go, but we had to complete some projects for the inlaws and that was rushed. Now it gives me more incentive to pursue that ;).

I haven't had reactions to all the wood I've worked with. Walnut was fine, back in February, who knows now ;)

I'm definitely looking for another allergy doc to do some tests on me :)

Tom Jones III
04-28-2006, 1:48 PM
One more thing I thought of, if you continue to work and cause the reaction it is possible that your body will "learn" to do this and you will become more sensitive, not less. DAMHIKT!

Dan Racette
04-28-2006, 3:09 PM
if you are near the same boat as me... that dust "extraction" is far from the answer. you need direct filtration for air entering your lungs. Dust collection and extraction misses most of the critical particulate matter that induces allergens as that stuff is usually not adequate for sub-7 micron particles.

Positive power respirator!

(trend airshield might cut it, or airware america stuff)

Unless of course you are taking it in through areas other than your nose, eyes and mouth. If you are pulling it into your pores, ears, or some other tissue entryway, the airshields won't help.

dan